Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

The All New And Shiny Gestational Diabetes Support Thread

(262 Posts)
midori1999 Mon 11-Mar-13 21:11:03

The old thread seems to have died a death, so thought of start a new one for anyone who wants some support or just to chat about GD.

I'm 9 weeks pregnant now, had GD in my last (5th) pregnancy and had my GTT today, expecting to be diagnosed tomorrow as my levels are already silly.

gunwalloe Tue 29-Jul-14 12:56:13

Littlemiss I've just run out of strips so I'm in for a moan tomorrow to. I was going to buy some from the chemist until I found out how expensive they are shock
How are your levels at the mo ladies?

LittleMissRayofHope Mon 28-Jul-14 22:19:51

I successfully shut my test kit in my DD's room for both her naptime and bedtime so haven't tested all day.., I expect to be told off!

I had Chinese the other night and my reading came out quite low. Most of mine are low. I really feel like a fraud most of the time with regards to GD!

gunwalloe Mon 28-Jul-14 21:29:50

Stupidly had a Chinese tonight as its our anniversary blood sugar was 4.1 before so I thought I would be ok to have half a portion but no blood sugar a hr after 9.5 the highest its ever been im hoping there not going to put me on metformin or insulin on Wednesday now sad

EllaBella220 Fri 25-Jul-14 23:37:56

I'm 32 weeks. They haven't mentioned anything about early induction to me yet. I don't mine being induced, I've done it twice already and it can be a good experience.

I am finding it REALLY hard to keep up with readings and diet this past few days, my book is lacking in entries!

gunwalloe Fri 25-Jul-14 19:18:56

I've already had 2 emcs so had to have a planned one this time at 39 weeks this was arranged before the GD

LittleMissRayofHope Fri 25-Jul-14 15:22:52

I'm hoping to go full term and birth as naturally as possible. I was super lucky with my first, had diamorphine as my contractions went on for 53 hours and only got to 3cm!! But once I had the diamorphine that was it, took an hour to get to 10 and had no intervention or stitches or anything! So I'm very hopeful to avoid intervention and induction.

I keep notes of what I eat and how active I am. I have been tweaking aswell.
I know a cheese roll (white baguette) will give me a higher reading so I have seeded brown bread instead and it's much lower. Also have upped the quantity of Veges or meat along jacket potato as I LOVE jacket pot, so my team can see I'm making the effort aswell.
I'm quite overweight, not sure that makes a difference. I know the exercise helps a lot. But I'm finding it relatively easy to control it through diet so far. Fingers crossed it continues!!

gunwalloe Fri 25-Jul-14 13:37:02

I wish I could be more active I've suddenly become really unfit we are in Cornwall on holiday and walking even on flat ground has me puffing I wonder if my iron level has taken a dive from my new salad and chicken diet.
Ella how many weeks are you?
Are you both having the baby's early?

EllaBella220 Thu 24-Jul-14 19:09:19

I have actually noticed a slight increase in my readings the past days so I think I'm not going to be diet controlled for much longer. I saw the diabetic team today who were happy to let me try the diet for another 3 weeks but they gave me the prescription for metformin just incase I ave more than 3 high readings in 1 week. She said just get the tablets if that happens and see how well I respond to those and if it causes too much stomach upset then they will go with insulin.

The doctor was very happy that any high readings I had were explained in the notes section. Any time I had a high reading I would note what I had just ate and what I could try instead.....then when I did try the alternative I would note that. It probably looked a bit like class suck up but it was purely for my own benefit so I could look back and see how bad/good certain foods are. She said it was obvious I was serious about tweaking the diet and that's why she is allowing the extra 3 weeks now as my other readings inbetween are very good.

LittleMissRayofHope Thu 24-Jul-14 18:57:37

My targets are below 5.5 for fasting and below 7.5 an hour after eating.
So far my fastings are all under 4.2 and I've only had one over 7.5 after eating and it was cos I forgot (the next day after starting testing and I just plain forgot!!) and I had a huge bottle of lucozade!! And got an 8.4!
I am fairly active though as love in London so walk a lot and have a 2 year old so run around after her constantly so I guess that helps.
Am only 32 weeks aswell, the nurse said as baby starts growing fast I may ntice it creep up.

gunwalloe Thu 24-Jul-14 13:18:50

Littlemiss 10 is high for there cut of my cut of was 7.8 and I was 7.9 I was to feeling like a fraud and thought they had got it wrong but the last couple of days my levels are creeping up and I'm now worrying about staying below the targets they've given me.

LittleMissRayofHope Thu 24-Jul-14 10:18:01

I was diagnosed about 10 days ago, on a total technicality! My glucose test was 10.1 and the cut off is 10! Anyway, they have had me monitoring my blood for a week now and have growth scanned baby - who is normal size.
Today is my DD's 2nd birthday so we had cake for breakfast. Accompanied by fruit juice.... My blood sugar was 6.3 afterwards.....
I find it frustrating but also fascinating! I could easily become obsessed with testing and I'm kind of playing around with what I eat, then testing to see how different foods affect me.

Good luck to anyone who has it more seriously then me. I feel like a slight fraud!! thanks

gunwalloe Mon 21-Jul-14 13:55:11

It was 7.9 and they said anything over 7.8 was GD I'm sure there's something funny about there test results.

EllaBella220 Mon 21-Jul-14 13:45:49

4.5 would have been normal at our clinic. Anything higher than 5.1 was what they considered 'GD'. I would be querying your diagnosis, Gun. Maybe they are monitoring you because of the lows but I don't see why they would even do that for a reading of 4.5.

SaltySeaBird Mon 21-Jul-14 13:07:53

Hmm I think 4.5 fasting would be normal anyway, what was your two hour result do you know?

gunwalloe Mon 21-Jul-14 09:43:06

Your thinking the same as me I'm sure something was funny with the result from the hospital they said my fasting was 4.5 and it's never that high which makes me think the other result was wrong to.
I'm eating pretty normal just not having fizzy drinks sweets etc last night I wanted to test out what was going on so had a magnum and it made no difference I really don't understand confused

SaltySeaBird Mon 21-Jul-14 00:23:36

Hmm dropping to less than 3.5 with no medication and no high readings? I can't see that they would give you medication and insulin would be dangerous IMO if you are that low. I'd ask for another GTT if I were you as that doesn't sound like diabetic readings to me (I'm not a medical expert although my consultant did say I was the best patient she had ever had and most knowledgable too!) unless you are eating no carbs and just salad to try and control it - which is bad and you'll get high ketones in your urine sample. I did the same when I was diagnosed and got told off for it - you have to eat a balanced diet.

gunwalloe Sun 20-Jul-14 23:08:34

Salty I'm not on medication yet they want me to try and control it with diet. Are the lows likely to make them want to medicate? When the midwife explained things she seemed more concerned about readings higher than 7.8. At the moment I don't get near that but I'm constantly dropping under 3.5 throughout the day. I've bought some boiled sweets today to keep in my bag for when I feel like it's gone to low.

SaltySeaBird Sun 20-Jul-14 22:23:52

gunwalloe are you insulin controlled? 3.4 is too low for a fasting level; you need to check your medication with your consultant in my opinion (I'm not a medical professional but I know a fair bit about GD and diabetes in general).

If it's dropping that low overnight you might need a snack before bedtime. If none of your readings are higher than 6.0 and you are getting a lot in the 3s and 4s that does sound a bit low, although you find that as pregnancy increases it gets harder to control and medication increases as you become more insulin resistant.

SaltySeaBird Sun 20-Jul-14 22:10:50

Not had a CS with GD but have had an ERPC under GA with diabetes. Generally it's not a problem, if you are diabetic they may have you on the ward overnight on an insulin sliding scale regime; rigging you up with a drip that includes a steady release of glucose and insulin together to get your blood sugar controlled and stable.

I did manage to have a hypo despite this which they said was unusual but I was in good hands and they gave me some sort of glucose to bring it back up while I was nil by mouth.

I can't say this is how they will manage it for you, this was just my experience. A CS is fairly common with GD so don't worry, they will manage it.

gunwalloe Sun 20-Jul-14 13:46:11

Has anyone had a cs with GD? I'm worried that if I don't eat from the night before I will end up hypo.

gunwalloe Sun 20-Jul-14 13:42:12

golden I'm having a planned caesarean at 39 weeks this had already been arranged before the GD though. I asked if it would be changed and they said no unless something goes wrong

Thanks for the food advice salty

I went to a wedding yesterday and managed to be good came back with feet like the elephant women though

EllaBella220 Sun 20-Jul-14 13:36:33

Thanks for the different views (and sorry for hijacking the thread lol). I will most definitely talk it through with the doctor on Thursday and see what she thinks of it all. I might be best trying the slow release metformin and if that causes havoc within a trial period then just ask for the insulin because as much as I hate needles.....I hate the stomach problems even more!

lotsofcheese Sat 19-Jul-14 22:31:04

You can ask for slow-release metformin, it's easier on the stomach than the standard version; it's generally better tolerated with fewer side effects.

SaltySeaBird Sat 19-Jul-14 22:26:16

You can probably request to go straight to insulin, it really is easy to do and far less painful than finger pricks.

The metformin just lowers the amount of insulin you need as it makes you more sensitive to it. I never had any aside effects and I have a sensitive stomach and went right on the full dose. Sometimes you can build it up slowly though if you are worried.

magichandles Sat 19-Jul-14 22:09:51

Ellabella - I had GD with both previous DC (currently 26 weeks with DC and expect to fail the GTT in a couple of weeks) and I have IBD (UC) as well - I went straight to insulin both times and didn't get prescribed metformin for that very reason.

I was really nervous about the insulin injections to start with and remember getting really annoyed with DH when I did my first one as he acted all squeamish so I did it more out of bravado, and then really surprised myself as it was absolutely fine and really didn't hurt at all - the needles are incredibly fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now