Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

The All New And Shiny Gestational Diabetes Support Thread

(273 Posts)
midori1999 Mon 11-Mar-13 21:11:03

The old thread seems to have died a death, so thought of start a new one for anyone who wants some support or just to chat about GD.

I'm 9 weeks pregnant now, had GD in my last (5th) pregnancy and had my GTT today, expecting to be diagnosed tomorrow as my levels are already silly.

Mummysaysno Tue 30-Apr-13 23:21:42

Hi Midori, so so sorry about your loss. Cannot imagine it, or don't dare to. I really think one day won't do any harm...and I bet most medical professionals, if they were aware of the reasons why you're feeling that way, would agree. It's clear the rest of the time (ie 99%!!!!!) you're very educated and disciplined about the eating regime.

Hope scan goes well!

midori1999 Fri 03-May-13 23:03:32

Thanks everyone. We had the scan and we're having a boy. grin got my anomaly scan in a week and a half, so hopefully all will be well then. I'm feeling him move now too, not all the time, but he's a wriggler for sure.

How has everyone been sugars etc wise? Mine were fine after the pizza oddly, but since then they've been creeping up, mornings have been over 3 out of the last four days and some of my pre lunch, pre dinner have been over and my pre bed has been over the last four days. I'm going to ring the clinic Monday to see if I should up my insulin.

StiffyByng Sun 05-May-13 13:14:25

Congratulations on your happy scan and your boy, Midori!

I am only checking sugars intermittently now (39+2) and pre-meal ones are nice and low. Low 5s/high 4s for fasting and mid 4s in the day. I've had a tricky time with food as I've been spending lots of time at the hospital with my stepdaughter so had to eat wholemeal sandwiches - 50g of sodding carbs. Hopefully my other meals are 'good' enough to minimise the effects. I've also found that pork pies are only 24g of carbs so are actually better for me right now than any other option.

Mummysaysno Tue 07-May-13 03:32:58

Hi Midori...what did clinic say?

Stiffy...great to hear your numbers are good!!!

I'm 35 weeks and now discharged from endocrinologist - woohoo!!!! So pleased, still to test four times a day etc, but so happy to have one less doctor to see...even though I had developed a little crush on him!shock

EmCMaidstone Wed 08-May-13 12:46:13

I'm 36 weeks with LO #2, and have been diagnosed with GD since 28 - baby's size is thankfully now being controlled by combination of diet, metformin and insulin (the full works!)

However, baby is still breech. Yesterday my midwife was insistent that I had to have a consultant appointment same day to discuss ECV as a matter of urgency to get it booked in over the next few days - but when I got there, the consultant said they wouldn't do ECV in my case because of the medication/insulin. Just wondering if anyone knew why?

Obviously I'll have a section if it's medically necessary (although I wanted to try everything possible to avoid it), but couldn't quite understand the confusion or why being on insulin is a contraindication for ECV...

StiffyByng Thu 09-May-13 18:04:23

I have no idea why that might be other than the fact that ECV carries a small risk of placental abruption, and doesn't insulin create potential problems with placental function? Could there be a link?

I am 39+6. Spent last night in the bath with contractions that died down at dawn. Spent today in bed eating Heroes. I suspect a blood sugar reading would be poor, so I haven't done one. NOT an exemplary patient today!

StiffyByng Thu 09-May-13 18:05:15

And hurray, Mummy! Discharges are good. Are you still going to a clinic or are you free?

weakestlink Thu 09-May-13 22:09:32

Hi everyone!

Had GTT today and although official results not in until tomorrow it seems likely I have failed.
Fasting fingerprick was 8.6 and 2 hour was 7.2.
I was already referrerd urgently for another growth scan and consultant appt for tomo by my midwife as measuring 35 at 29 weeks. I had a scan a little over a week ago and all measurements over 97th percentile.
Slightly worried how big the baby has got with so many weeks to go!!!

StiffyByng Thu 09-May-13 22:40:24

Hi, WL. I can see how that would be a bit scary! Sugar control can help stop lots more growth so you can bring those percentiles down a bit. You're still fairly early on. Did they measure your amniotic fluid at all? I assume they did. Polyhydramnios is fairly common in GD (lots of fluid) and that can make your tummy huge! Also can be reversed with good sugar control.

weakestlink Thu 09-May-13 22:58:29

Hello smile
According to printout from 1/5 scan Fluid: Normal...
At that scan they didn't seem too worried though despite being off the chart. It's this week with fundal measurement of 35 that has got them worried. And now GTT today! sad

StiffyByng Thu 09-May-13 23:08:56

Lots of babies are big naturally so it's not necessarily something to worry about. Sugar control will hopefully really help. Being big right now isn't doing your baby any harm.

weakestlink Fri 10-May-13 14:40:15

So my GD has been confirmed. I have had to change consultant and am waiting to hear from the diabetes team. They said they were quite concerned about the baby's abdominal circumference but fluid was fine and other measurements big but ok. The sonographer went off for ages to chat with consultant so I feel reassured they are keeping a close eye on me/baby.
Any diet tips welcome for the weekend!!!

StiffyByng Fri 10-May-13 15:43:35

Low carb is what you need. Not no carb but keep to small amounts (much smaller than you might think - think 20-30g in a meal, 15g for a snack) and make them complex carbs like wholewheat pasta or multigrain bread. Most people find that they tolerate carbs better through the day so maybe try no more than 20g at breakfast. You'll get a better idea of what your body responds to once you've got your glucometer - eg bread has been a killer for me, even low carb, whereas potatoes aren't too bad as long as they're cooked in lots of fat. And of course keep off the sugar. So base your meals around protein and lots of veg. There are lots of tips out there on the internet.

If there's lots of concern about the size of your baby, they'll want to induce you at 37/38 weeks but I'm sure there'll be lots of monitoring between now and then.

Good luck! This time will pass quickly and you'll have your baby before you know it.

weakestlink Tue 14-May-13 19:20:05

Hi again!
I have started monitoring my blood sugars today - I have been given targets 3.5-5.9 fasting / before meal and under 7.8 1 hour after meal.

So far for lunch I have 7.9 (almost 2 hours as was faffing about) then 7.5 before dinner and 7.0 1hr after dinner.

So lower after dinner than before?!! Surely not?

Sunflower1985 Tue 14-May-13 20:52:24

I'm now at 28 weeks. First pregnancy. Feeling the pressure. I've been monitoring my bloods 3/4 days a week for 6 weeks now. So far all my numbers have been within normal (testing before each meal and two hours later). Then tonight I get a 12.4!
I had a pretty high calorie tea, sure, but I've not been above a 7 before now, despite some less than ideal eating habits. I'm back to the clinic on Friday and I don't know what to do. I want this to be done and dusted, but with a high reading I fear they're going to make me keep testing. It's really stressing me out.

weakestlink Wed 15-May-13 08:11:48

12.4 does seem very high! But in my very limited experience, one rouge reading doesn't get them worried so they are more likely to conclude that as all your other readings are low that you have it under control. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will be along soon!

Mummysaysno Wed 15-May-13 08:35:39

I posted to say the same, but realised reply must have got lost in cyberspace!!!!

Mummysaysno Wed 15-May-13 08:41:17

Also weakestlink to say the same to you...so far I've not experienced high fasting readings, so can't share any experience, but hoping someone else can for you!

StiffyByng Wed 15-May-13 20:33:35

Weakestlink, my fasting was often higher than my post-breakfast level! But nit through the day. Are you sure about all the readings? Ie clean fingers for all?

12.4 is a bit bonkers. When you say high calorie, do you mean high carb/sugar?

I am now no longer gestationally diabetic. Baby born at home in birth pool on Monday, at 40+3, weighing 7lbs 10oz. He is gorgeous and my sugars after a huge plate of fish, chips and mushy peas last night were 6.4. So I'm hoping things are OK now and I need to keep on with the weight loss to stop it ever coming back.

Mummysaysno Thu 16-May-13 08:55:53

Congratulations Stiffy!!!!

weakestlink Thu 16-May-13 18:48:12

Congratulations Stiffy!!!

I have been put on Metformin after I read my results over the phone today. Have only been testing since Tuesday night so hardly any time to experiment but as my baby is already huge (apparently) I think they are being cautious.

Sprite21 Fri 14-Jun-13 10:53:03

Hello all, thought I would join in anticipation (or rather dread). I'm only 6 weeks pg but I had GD last time so it seems likely I will get it this time.
I am dreading the diet restrictions and constant testing and want to wait as long as possible before doing so.
Is it totally irresponsible to just eat whatever I want until someone tells me otherwise? I haven't even had my booking in appointment, let alone a consultation with a dietician.
Midori,I think I remember you from the 2011 GD thread. I had my DD in September and you were just before that. Can you believe we're going through this again?
When did they test you second time around?

rumtumtugger Sun 14-Jul-13 16:05:08

Hi all, I'd like to resurrect this thread! My 28 week GTT came back fine on fasting but 8.1 post-2hrs, so IGT. I'm seeing the midwife on Tuesday so I'll know more about which diet protocols they want me to follow but until then I'm finding it very hard to stay away from icecream in this heat!
I had GD in my last pregnancy and luckily managed to control it with a strict diet and exercise regime so I'm hopeful that'll be the case again.
Sprite, NICE guidelines say that if you had previous GD you should be offered a GTT at 16-18 weeks (which I had to request!) and if that's ok then another at 28 weeks.

TinyCC Sun 14-Jul-13 19:20:08

Ooooh thanks for resurrecting the thread. I'm near 28 weeks and just diagnosed with GD after my GTT last week. Am currently testing 4 times one day (before meals) and three times the next day (2 hours after meals) and have a scan and consultant appointment on Thursday. Pretty much all my results so far are within the guidelines they've given me so far.
The worst thing is all the people at work who keep trying to feed me chocolate/chippy because "you can eat what you want when you're pregnant". angry

rumtumtugger Mon 15-Jul-13 15:31:58

Hi Tiny. It's a pain isn't it? But they're well-meaning and sound like nice colleagues! Ask them to save it for after the birth, you'll need all the calories you can get then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now