Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Does your nhs trust do a routine scan at 32 wks?

(31 Posts)
tasmaniandevilchaser Mon 11-Mar-13 20:39:01

Hi just wondered how many of you get a routine scan at 30 or 32 wks? Some of my friends at different hospitals are getting them but I don't think mine does.

sar1133 Tue 12-Mar-13 12:48:08

Bravelilbear I'm in east yorks too. But as you prob guess I'm under Scarborough due to being in a northern seaside town! You hull?

MyNameIsAnAnagram Tue 12-Mar-13 12:22:49

Not in Leeds or Harrogate.

BraveLilBear Tue 12-Mar-13 10:26:01

Not in East Yorks - with only one hospital providing scans and already struggling for routine slots, I can see this being an unlikely development in the near future. Just 12 and 20 weeks, though more if problem. In fact, had to have internal extra scan at 20 weeks because of low placenta - I've seen elsewhere these are usually done later but it was implied that they do it now to avoid extra scans in a 'while you're here' fashion...

rosiedays Tue 12-Mar-13 09:03:03

with my first 2 DD NO scans.... they didn't exist!!! LOL. this time only 12 and 20. xx

HavingALittleFaithBaby Tue 12-Mar-13 08:47:50

Nope, not in Lincolnshire either (unless there's cause for concern).

cogitosum Tue 12-Mar-13 08:42:26

Not Maidstone & tunbridge wells trust. I'm having one at 34 weeks because of position of placenta but it's not standard.

GreatSoprendo Tue 12-Mar-13 08:38:14

Nope - 12 and 20 weeks only in Notts, unless you are high risk. Would have loved a 32 week scan though - not seen the little one for 17 weeks now !

Fluffeh England Tue 12-Mar-13 08:16:15

I'm in east Lancashire and only 12 and 20 weeks are routine. And I agree with pp our hospital wouldn't be able to cope with routine 32 week scans as its already almost impossible to get the extra growth scans booked in.

craftycottontail Tue 12-Mar-13 07:39:05

Only 12 and 20wks in Norfolk, unless there are complications later eg suspected breach.

islingtongirl Tue 12-Mar-13 06:48:09

Im UCLH and was told I would have a 32 week scan. Interesting that it might be part of a trial! Was actually just talking about this with my friend yesterday - she is at St Thomas and they don't offer it..she said she would like one given the choice though, but was told they can just feel the baby so can tell the position so no need for it? Perhaps they are checking other things as well?

sar1133 Tue 12-Mar-13 05:51:56

Yes in North Yorkshire. I've had 4 so far but 3 was in Manchester where i used to live. They said unless problems they only did two scans but I was scanned too early to begin with. When I moved back to yorkshire I got sent a routine growth scan for 36 weeks but ended up having one on thurs as have had borderline diabetes. I'm now 33 weeks but having a scan on fri too as I'm in hospital now as waters have broken early! Saying that during night I've had a slight show and stomach pains so we will see! The health trust is called York teaching hospitals. Sorry for essay!

MisselthwaiteManor Tue 12-Mar-13 05:42:05

Not in the Wirral. I didn't realise they offered it anywhere, that's interesting. Hopefully it'll become standard eventually.

hellsbells76 Mon 11-Mar-13 23:55:38

Not in our trust. They can barely fit in the women who need the routine dating and anomaly scans, let alone those who need extras for whatever reason. A routine 32 week scan for everyone would cause the whole system to collapse!

showtunesgirl Mon 11-Mar-13 23:46:57

It became standard at King's in 2011. When I had my second scan and they then wanted to book me in for a 32 week one, I panicked and asked what was wrong and they said that it was now routine there.

It's part of their research into trying to prevent later term miscarriage.

Shaiandbump Mon 11-Mar-13 23:10:31

Not in Ealing

NotAQueef Mon 11-Mar-13 22:56:23

ooh that's interesting about King's when I was pregnant with DS King's only offered 32 week scan if you signed up for clinical trial re placenta blood flow <sketchy memory> - is it standard there now?

crochetcircle Mon 11-Mar-13 22:54:48

I think its a research programme at UCLH to see whether its worth doing - I had it for dd2 last year but not DD1 the year before.

BikeRunSki Brazil Mon 11-Mar-13 22:52:08

Not in South Yorks - 12 and 20 weeks. I had to beg for a position scan at 36 weeks in second pg despite mw thinking baby was breech and first baby being undiagnosed footling breech.

lollypopsicle Mon 11-Mar-13 22:47:31

Not in Worcestershire. Didn't in Birmingham 2 years ago either.

Ellypoo Mon 11-Mar-13 22:28:53

Not here in Derbyshire either, just the 12 & 20 week ones as standard. I def think that there should be another scan later as standard everywhere though.

Lionsntigersnbears Mon 11-Mar-13 22:18:17

Not here in West Yorkshire either. Just 12 and 20 weeks

Yep, Medway offer 12, 22 and 32 weeks as routine - but I believe it's something only larger hospitals with research facilities are undertaking at the moment. I expect within 5 years it'll be routine everywhere.

snickersnacker Mon 11-Mar-13 21:24:50

King's London offers 12, 22 & 32 week scans.

tasmaniandevilchaser Mon 11-Mar-13 20:59:17

A friend had one at the Whittington, but she thought vaguely it might have been because she is an 'older' mother. I'm nearly 40, not,sure if,that counts, haven't been harassed for being old yet!

tasmaniandevilchaser Mon 11-Mar-13 20:57:25

Chub, that's shocking 5 yrs ago not even a 12 wk scan! I had a mmc discovered at the 12 wk scan, it would have been even more traumatic to,wait longer to,find out.

Panda, my friend is at UCLH, and I also had a friend at kings that had a routine 32 wk scan. I had no idea some places did this until very recently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now