Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stretch marks

(13 Posts)
FoofFighter Fri 01-Mar-13 13:01:24

there's a meme going round on Facebook - something along the line of:

"you are a tigress who earned her stripes"

I like that way of looking at it smile

rrreow Fri 01-Mar-13 10:16:40

My worst ones are from growth spurts as a teenager. The pregnancy ones looked horrible while pregnant, but faded quite quickly and got smaller as the skin was no longer stretched. I've always been a size 8-10 so I really think it's probably genetic.

I'm 25w with DC2 now and just noticed a couple tiny new ones.. I was like WHYY. I totally expected everything to stretch along the old stretch marks, not create bloody new ones!

DangerMousey Fri 01-Mar-13 10:01:15

I thought I had gotten away with it until about 34 weeks and then they appeared in droves....all around the bottom of my bump, some as thick as my little finger shock

12 weeks after giving birth they're still there but are fading a little, colour-wise. I think it's just a badge of motherhood. Nothing you can do about it - I smothered myself in bio oil and burts bees oil throughout the pregnancy to no avail.

Have to just deal with the fact that I now look like a hot rod :-/

sjclarke86 Thu 28-Feb-13 23:38:59

Ohh no dogsmum so close !! I am sure if will fade as soon as baby comes x

Dogsmom Thu 28-Feb-13 23:15:50

I started off a size 10-12, am 39 weeks pregnant and my first one appeared today, goddamit.
I thought I'd got away with it.

glossyflower Thu 28-Feb-13 21:59:57

...bio oil is 3 for 2 in Boots at the moment!

Teapig Thu 28-Feb-13 20:57:57

I'm also worried about stretch marks. When do you usually get them? I'm 33 weeks and don't have any so far but I'm expecting they might come soon [runs off to get more bio oil]

sjclarke86 Thu 28-Feb-13 11:37:14

Thanks all. I'm only ten weeks so preparing early. I'm not too worried, if they come then they come. No harm in applying cream xx

ShowOfHands Thu 28-Feb-13 08:21:51

None of the lotions or potions reach the level of skin where you tear when stretchmarks happen. They can help with the itch, make you comfy and perhaps minimise the appearance of them once you have them but their actual appearance in the first place is nothing to do with the creams you use. I used lots of creams and lotions as I had an itchy bump and ended up with 8 million stretchmarks from my boobs down to my knees (I kid you not). I was/am a size 8/10. My Mum used nothing at all and had no stretchmarks. So in our case it was related to neither genes nor so called stretchmark creams.

It is part hereditary but also down to how much weight you gain, where you gain weight, your age and skin type etc. You get them or you don't. Don't worry too much though. The odd stretchmark is nothing to be ashamed of and they go v silvery usually. I might look like a roadmap in certain lights but it's not unattractive, it's just a sign I had two healthy babies.

Coleminer Thu 28-Feb-13 07:04:21

Me and my friend both used Decleor Firming Body Serum, it's not cheap but neither of us had any stretch marks. I'd use bio oil in the morning and Decleor at night. One bottle of Decleor lasted me but I got through a few bottles of Bio oil.

My mum has 1 after having SEVEN children.

I have seven billion after having 1 child.

Keeping your fluids up might help, and massaging with cream too.

greenj1 Wed 27-Feb-13 22:47:49

You might get them you might not! Keep using the stretch mark cream it cant hurt and might help. How far along are you? X

sjclarke86 Wed 27-Feb-13 22:43:49

My mum and sister both got terrible stretch marks, is it certain that I will? I'm not built like either of them, they are size 16-18. I have never been more than a 10 small 12, and I haven't gone to gym or really dieted. I am using stretch mark cream but is this totally pointless, will I get them anyway??

X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now