Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Which Tea are drinking during pregnancy?

(41 Posts)
hartmel Wed 27-Feb-13 17:13:51

As the question above already explains it.. I'm wondering what kind of teas are you drinking while pregnant. As specially in the first trimester.

I'm a big tea drinker and now a couple of friends told me that I should be aware of as couple teas are not good in pregnancy's..

I drink every morning one cup (300ml) green tea. With no sugar or milk..

I'm 12 weeks pregnant.

Thanks

Passmethecrisps Thu 28-Feb-13 22:11:36

I drank redbush tea (I bought a vanilla one that I drank twice before it turning my stomach massively) and tetley decaf. I would happily drink normal tea if not in my own home. I drink my tea very weak so I didn't feel it was a massive issue.

I also used to drink fresh ginger root and honey tea. It was amazing in the early sickness days.

birdbrain17 Thu 28-Feb-13 22:07:27

novia what does rasberry leaf tea taste like? the mw at my antenatal class said she'd heard it was horrible and we should take the capsules instead what do you think?!

TDD32 Thu 28-Feb-13 19:20:20

Lemon & Ginger, Strawberry & Rasberry fruit teas. Used to be a big coffee drinker.....

lolalotta Thu 28-Feb-13 19:15:14

Red bush with milk!

kd83 Thu 28-Feb-13 10:37:21

Great thread thanks Ladies. I had no idea some teas were off limits (other than caffeine which I know should be limited).

I'm off tea for lent anyway which has coincided with my first trimester (now 7 weeks) but I normally drink around 2-3 cups black tea and 1-2 cups green tea most days. now I know to restrict them. Didn't know about green tea and folic acid, but have been taking FA every day since November so hope it will be ok.

ExpatAl Thu 28-Feb-13 10:32:50

I have one cup of normal tea in the morning and then for the rest of the day I drink Pukka teas. I love their 3 mint one.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Thu 28-Feb-13 10:31:45

I couldn't stomach normal tea with morning sickness in the first trimester. I switched to decaf but only had a couple a day, compared to the pre-pregnancy 4-5 a day! Even now (32 weeks) tea doesn't taste particularly good. I mostly have decaf with maybe one caffeinated cup a day.

Don't forget that green tea has caffiene in it if you're drinking it!

greenj1 Thu 28-Feb-13 10:29:06

I have my normal tetley tea 4 or 5 times a day. But then also enjoy runny eggs medium steaks etc if we listened to all the recommendations out there while preggers we would be complete gibbering wrecks!!!

Novia Thu 28-Feb-13 10:25:15

1-2 normal PG Tips a day and 1-2 raspberry leaf tea (35 weeks pregnant).

gertrudestein Thu 28-Feb-13 10:20:24

Like you OP, one cup of green tea in the morning. Used to drink buckets of the stuff. Miss it terribly!

And peppermint at other times of the day.

aufaniae Thu 28-Feb-13 10:17:35

Dragonfly rooibos earl grey caffeine free

Yummmm smile

You can get is in Waitrose, and one of Sainsbury/Tesco, I forget which now. (Not Asda though, we were there yesterday and they didn't have it sad)

parttimer79 Thu 28-Feb-13 09:36:58

I'm 17 weeks and have only just managed to stomach tea again. I quite like twinings decaf but am frankly allowing myself the odd cup of "normal tea" now and then as I'm off coffee completely.
Quite like berry based fruit teas, again twinings.

vladthedisorganised Thu 28-Feb-13 08:45:16

Yorkshire decaf for me too, and some 'proper tea' once a day.
Drank rooibos last time but can't stomach it this time for some reason.
DH starts the day with an espresso and it's killing me not being able to join him!

RoxyLady Thu 28-Feb-13 07:54:13

None. For some reason body is rejecting it! Even at 20 weeks. I just want a nice cup of tea!!!!

MisselthwaiteManor Thu 28-Feb-13 05:48:12

I'm drinking yorkshire decaf, it's the only decaf I've tried that tastes like proper builders tea, the others are a bit weak and flowery for me. I'll drink a normal caffeinated cup of tea if out or at someone's house. I'm not a fan of fruity or herbal teas.

Kafri Thu 28-Feb-13 01:46:21

I love my rooibos. as a pp said though, it is an acquired taste.

BeCool Wed 27-Feb-13 20:28:56

Nettle tea and decaf Earl Grey.

GaryBuseysTeeth Wed 27-Feb-13 20:24:31

Decaf PG Tips (usually a Twinings Breakfast/Everyday girl but their decaff is rank).

Avoiding Rasberry Leaf until 32wks.

CareerGirl01 Wed 27-Feb-13 20:17:04

Greaf thread. Decaf Tetley and ginger early stages when couldn't deal with caffeine - made my morning sickness worse. I have days when I don't drink any tea at all - fizzy water - and ones where I have my full 4 cups. Am 30 weeks now though. Will stock up on fennel teaand. Used to drink one strong coffee - a two shot latte - a day. The last caffeinated coffee I had was the one I ordered just before taking a positive pregnancy test; nipped to the loo in Starbucks to do my pee test. I drank my coffee after getting the positive - knowing it would be my last for a good 7.5 months.

Petcat Wed 27-Feb-13 20:16:57

I asked my midwife about the chamomile tea thing. She said one cup a day is fine. I often have one before bed. The NHS do not advise pregnant women should avoid it either. US baby websites seem to be much more extreme about what pregnant women should and shouldn't eat and drink. The trouble with Google is you end up reading (usually contradictory) guidelines from loads of different countries. I have decided to listen to my midwife instead!

You can buy 'pregnancy-safe' tea here www.mamatea.com/ - note 2 of the blends include chamomile. Also Pukka say all their herbal teas are safe in pregnancy, so I drink those too.

ClaryCazalet Wed 27-Feb-13 20:16:52

The best decaf tea I have found is Twinings Earl Grey decaf. You have to stew it for about ten minutes but it does taste close to the real thing.

Just be cautious on green tea especially in first trimester, as it restricts the absorption of folic acid.
I went off all hot drinks in first 18 or so weeks, only drank cold drinks even in the snowy weather. still not really got back onto fruit, peppermint teas etc. drinking lots of tetley decaf though now.

RainbowsFriend Wed 27-Feb-13 19:56:44

I can't believe chamomile tea is not recommended! I've been drinking loads! (5.5 weeks)

Quilty Wed 27-Feb-13 19:01:14

Completely went off any kind of tea until about 20 weeks. Still don't fancy peppermint tea which I used to love but can drink normal tea again.

A good tip for reducing caffeine is to brew the bag for 20-30 secs, tip that away and then brew again. Gives a weaker taste but means you can have more than your recommended 2-3 cups a day. Personally I prefer to do this than drink decaf tea as most decaf tea contain residues of the chemicals used in the decaffeination process - probably accounts for why they never taste quite right!

riskit4abiskit Wed 27-Feb-13 18:58:40

Clipper apple and Ginger and also blackcurrant and acai. I read that green tea was bad? I usually have green tea but I have given it up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now