Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

In Agony - Did Anyone Else Binge Drink Before They Knew?

(96 Posts)
tsmith02162013 Sun 24-Feb-13 08:07:05

I am absolutely out of my mind with grief and need advice from real moms. The doctors I have spoken to have been so dismissive of my concerns, but everything I have read (and ever fiber in my body) tells me that something is WRONG.

I did not know I was pregnant. At what we now know to be four weeks (exactly) into the pregnancy, I drank two bottles of wine BY MYSELF in one night, over 5 or 6 hours. I was not sick at all, and I had no problems the next day. So, I drank more the next day- 3 drinks. And then I drank again the next day- 4 drinks.

I realized I was supposed to start my period the day after that, and to just put my mind at ease, I took a pregnancy test, which was POSITIVE.

My doctors say that they don't have enough data on binge drinking in early pregnancy, but they think I am probably fine. I just want to know if there is ANYONE who has had as much to drink as I did at 4 weeks pregnant and then went on to have a healthy child. I am SO SCARED of having caused permanent brain damage to the baby, and I am seriously considering abortion because I feel like this is a hopeless situation.

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Sun 24-Feb-13 09:07:02

Yep, night out with old workmates. DS1 is fine.

Dis, I am sorry about your son. I can understand your feelings but it is incredibly unlikely the drinking had anything to do with the LDs.

chocchoc30 Sun 24-Feb-13 09:08:56

I went on a Hen weekend 3 days before my BFP and got stupidly drunk both nights. I am now 37 weeks pregnant and all is well.

SmilingMakesMyFaceAche Sun 24-Feb-13 09:10:16

I went to magaluf on a hen. Got pickled and drank numerous caffeine shots to keep me going for three days. DS is 2 and totally fine.

SmilingMakesMyFaceAche Sun 24-Feb-13 09:11:46

Actually, the dr said that to cause any real damage (and I quote) "you'd need to be drinking a bottle of vodka a day and I think then that this conversation would be the least of your problems "
I was a bit hmm but that's what he said....

BurnThisDiscoDown Sun 24-Feb-13 09:23:11

I got completely arseholed on wine at a wedding when I was about 3-4 weeks pregnant (obviously didn't know at the time!). We were ttc but it had taken months and we hadn't dtd at the right times (I thought!) so I really didn't think I could be pregnant. Was very upset when I realised what I'd done, but DS (18 months old) is fine. Don't do anything rash, in all probability your little one will be fine.

Scootee Sun 24-Feb-13 09:29:08

A friend of mine when she was about 20 was travelling Europe and partying like crazy. She had a one night stand on a few occasions over a few months and was drinking a lot. One day, she thought something was wrong with her stomach, went to a doctor and found out that she was 5 months pregnant. She had been drinking and clubbing the whole time. Her son is now 10 and absolutely fine. Try not to worry about it, you did not know you were pregnant and in all likelihood it will not matter.

BrainDeadMama Sun 24-Feb-13 09:31:48

I got a bit pissed on Christmas day and got a surprise BFP on Boxing Day.

I felt awful but then I read that as it was so early on (about 3 or 4 weeks, like you) the placenta isn't even formed yet, so it can't affect the baby at such an early stage.

Hope this put your mind at rest?

Emsyboo Sun 24-Feb-13 10:09:37

I found out quite late I was pregnant with DC1 had a massive binge wine, vodka, shots all night with girls then another binge after a conference with work colleagues. A week later I thought I hadn't had a period and mentioned to DH he asked if we could be pregnant and I joked I didn't think so as I was sitting drinking a glass if wine. Next day did a test and was positive.
I felt terrible but he is fine of course I didn't drink through the pregnancy.
You will be fine the placenta hasn't formed yet and this is the best way baby gets alcohol passed over. Foetal alcohol syndrome is a result of serious abuse whilst baby is developing.
My mum drank all the way through her pregnancy with me as it was normal and I am fine (well I do have a tendency to go out drinking wink)
Try not to worry you will have your scan soon if it wasn't this you would probably be worrying about something else - welcome to motherhood

pictish Sun 24-Feb-13 10:12:51

Yes. I did not know I was pg and in that first four weeks went out on the lash and clubbing (with everything that entails for for young, responsibility free people who are living it large...iyswim?) and all was well. He's 11 now.

Emsyboo Sun 24-Feb-13 10:17:09

Also worth noting is that 4 weeks pregnant is only really about 2 weeks from ovulation and a week from implantation (have a bit if baby brain so excuse the loose estimates) but it is taken from you last period.
Drinking this early as a one off is incredibly unlikely to have harmed baby.
Dis sorry to hear of your DCs problems my mum used to work with kids with foetal alcohol syndrome it is unlikely drinking caused your DCs problems but there isn't enough research to rule out completely and agree although it's fine in 99% of cases you do worry if something isn't exactly right you blame yourself for everything

Yamyoid Sun 24-Feb-13 10:19:22

Hopefully you can see from the huge number of posters that you will be fine. I had a weeks holiday before I knew I was pregnant and binge drank the entire time and passed out in Pizza Express then it was a friend's birthday and I got plastered on champagne cocktails. Like you I was petrified and NHS Direct made me worry even more. However, my midwife reassured me and after the scans showed all was well, I'd pretty much forgotten my fright. Please try to stop worrying thanks.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 24-Feb-13 10:25:30

Dis I'm sorry about your son. It is so, so unlikely that you drinking a relatively small amount caused your DS's problems. Half a bottle is 5 units, which doesn't constitute a binge.

DameFanny Sun 24-Feb-13 10:27:21

I got pregnant the night we got engaged. Spent about 2 weeks going for drinks and celebrating with everyone we knew (worked away during the week so lots of drinks anyway).

Ds now 9, perfectly formed, rather intelligent, sadly a bit lazy but that seems to run in the male line on DH's side anyway

Flisspaps Sun 24-Feb-13 10:29:00

With both of mine I went on a hen night on a Saturday, got smashed, then got suspicious of the hangover lasting into Monday so POAS and got a +ve.

DisAstrophe Sun 24-Feb-13 13:03:06

Thank you to the posters who have said it is v unlikely to be the drinking that caused my ds' ld and asd. It is v kind and of course you are probably right but I'll never know. Half a bottle these days is six or seven units I think.

Anyway I'm going to leave this thread as the op is looking for reassurance.

tsmith02162013 Sun 24-Feb-13 13:07:34

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/health&id=8773696

Here is what has me so scared--I was trying to find more information on binge drinking before knowing you were pregnant, and I found this news item about a woman who only had 2 binge drinking incidents before she knew she was pregnant. Her son has fetal alcohol syndrome, and as an adult, his disability prevents him from working at all.

And I found another U.S. study which even implies that, by binge drinking at 4-6 weeks, the damage is already done:

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh25-3/168-174.htm

I just can't get over that story and the study. For the moms who have been through this, how did you not worry yourself sick through the duration of the pregnancy? I cannot stop thinking about this.

DameFanny Sun 24-Feb-13 13:20:02

Look at it another way. Alcohol consumption around conception and during pregnancy is entirely self-reported - no one's blood testing pregnant women for alcohol as a general rule, and it doesn't stay in the system very long if you are having blood taken for whatever reason.

A gp relation also told me that the correlation between alcohol consumption and FAS isn't direct - the incidence of FAS in alcoholics is lower than you would expect.

So there's a couple of things there. One - mothers of children with FAS may be down-playing their consumption and two - FAS may occur as a result of your body's response to the alcohol, rather than the alcohol itself.

So don't do anything silly. Relax a bit and wishing you a lovely dating scan smile

hwjm1945 Sun 24-Feb-13 13:25:44

Had a skinful inc a lock in in a pub before I knew pref with DD1,worried a lot.doctor reassured me.not to worry.she now nearly 9 and in top streams at school and no problems.v early blow out will NOT cause problems,check with doc if still unsure,do not suffer as alone and do not consider abortion for that reason.there is no need

sheeplikessleep Sun 24-Feb-13 13:27:00

Bonzo's post .... "Before the placenta takes over from the yolk sac at about 8 weeks the embryo is protected from your blood stream and most things that you take. A very convenient protective mechanism indeed as most of us have no idea we are pregnant until AF is due by which time you are officially 4 weeks!"

I have also read this elsewhere, can't remember where, but I was under impression what you consumed early pregnancy didn't make it's way directly to the baby like it does later on.

Hawkmoth Sun 24-Feb-13 13:28:39

With dd I found out at seven weeks, only because I realised that a hangover didn't last for three days. She's a little belter. The baby is self contained with a yolk sac until the placenta forms.

LoopDeLoops Sun 24-Feb-13 13:29:28

Both times. Both times I drank LOADS more than usual one night - it seems that I can't actually get drunk when pregnant.

Illgetmegoat Sun 24-Feb-13 13:41:49

May I be presumptuous? When you say you didn't know, does this mean you have a completely accidental/surprise pg?
If you were TTC I assume you would be sure to avoid binges which is what makes me ask.
Are you ok, happy, with the actual fact of your pg? Are you sure this is not some acute anxiety about wider issues focussing on one aspect of a whole host of wider feelings? You say out of your mind with grief, something is wrong, you're scared, considering abortion - that's a lot of expressive language.

If not, and you have just really frightened yourself with Google, then I advise something I've never advised before - do more googling & reading. I have posted at length previously about FAS and care with alcohol during pregnancy and I think you need to read the science not the news. Sources not scare tactics. You have the right and choice to make any decision you want regarding your pregnancy but I think you owe it to yourself to make sure it is the most informed it can be.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 24-Feb-13 13:50:41

TBH I wouldn't give much weight to anything that comes out of the US in relation to drinking in pregnancy.

There is a puritanical streak a mile wide over there, and there are sectors of society that would like to see pregnant women drinking made illegal. There is an agenda to prove that any alcohol in pregnancy in incredibly damaging.

If you have raised this with Drs in the UK and been given assurances then please rest easy that you have done your baby no harm.

Illgetmegoat Sun 24-Feb-13 13:53:52

Also one study does not an informed choice make. Also research embryonic development and peer reviewed studies, remember awareness sites have an agenda that will not support ambiguous information. You're so panicked I think you have to read & judge yourself really.

I really hope you start to feel better about things soon.

Illgetmegoat Sun 24-Feb-13 13:54:54

Sorry x post, phone typing takes an age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now