Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

manual or electric breast pump? Is it worth forking out the extra ££?

(30 Posts)
emeraldgirl1 Fri 22-Feb-13 08:47:24

I have bought a manual breast pump but a friend (who breast fed v successfully BUT who is also loaded...) has just told me that an electric one will be much more use. She had a super-swanky Medela (?) one that costs over £200. I've seen a more affordable Avent one for £70ish but is it worth returning the manual one I've bought and paying the extra for an electric one?

Obviously I don't yet know if I'll be successful at breast feeding but I want to give it the best shot possible. I certainly wouldn't want to waste money on a manual pump if it would just be a false economy and better to use an electric one.

So two questions really: are electric pumps worth it and if so, which one? Do I need to spend hundreds or is an Avent one at about £70 just as good?

Thank you v much smile

DigestivesWithCheese Fri 22-Feb-13 19:54:13

Don't assume the medela one is better just because it's more expensive. I used Medela electric and manual ones in hospital and found that they hurt and I didn't like the hard plastic cup against my skin (I tried bigger ones but it made no difference).

I bought the Avent electric one when I got home and I loved it and got more milk out because I was more comfortable. It has a kind of padded suction in the cup bit that feels more natural, plus it's easy to set your own rythym and strength.

clarehk Sun 24-Feb-13 12:02:28

I breastfed DD1 for two years, my advice is to not pump in the first coupl e of weeks while you get your milk established. I started pumping in about week 3, just once or twice a day, to get some milk in the freezer so hubby could do a late feed whilst I slept. Medela is the only one that worked for me. I used a Mini electric. My friend hired a Medela Symphony and said it was amazing, twice as much milk in half the time. I'm pregnant again and will def hire one this time, I only pumped for a three or four months so it's better to hire if you can.

VegemiteSandwich Sun 24-Feb-13 13:59:17

My husband picked up an avent starter kit with a microwave steriliser, cheap hand pump and various bottles. It is great! If I was pumping with any regularity I'd have to buy a decent one, but for now it is ok and hadn't cost too much. Id recommend getting some bottles and cartons of formula - nearly everyone in our nct group had to do top ups unfortunately, and it's a stressful enough time without having to go shopping!

shieldbug Mon 25-Feb-13 00:16:26

I used the Avent electric one and never had any problems. It can be used manually as well if you get fed up of the noise. I found it useful to allow dh to give nighttime feeds on occasion. Also, if you are going anywhere that you don't want to bf it allows you to give a bottle instead (although as I grew in confidence with bfing I just used to do it anywhere!) From a purely selfish point of view, when feeds got a bit further apart, it also meant I could have a glass of wine if I had expressed in advance. In other words, I think a pump is well worth it and have already dug out mine again ready for dc2 due v soon.

learnermummy Tue 26-Feb-13 12:44:05

I had the avent isis pump which is electric but converted to manual too. Very easy to use. Will probably get another one this time. I found it useful to have in the early days when breasts were so full DS couldn't latch. Also, good to have the option of a bottle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now