Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Fed up with obsession about weight gain during pregnancy...

(56 Posts)
Mummysaysno Tue 19-Feb-13 02:34:47

Really interested to know what is 'normal'...we live in Hong Kong and I have my weight measured every four weeks, and at 24 weeks am at the high end of 'normal'.
This is our fourth child, my children all were born as 9lb plus babies, and I loose the weight after IF I exercise/eat well just like anyone.
I asked my ob what the focus on weight is...is it GD, he said no, although I'll be tested for that as routine at 28 weeks. In the UK I've never had this obsession with weight by midwives, nor in US.
Like many women weight issues can really stress me out...I hate talking about my weight, hate weighing myself, and am probably about one stone heavier than my ideal weight pre pregnancy. However there have been times I've lost lots of weight, and can't eat, due to being unhappy and valued being 'happy' if a little heavier than I liked.
My question is...how much weight gain is 'normal' for real women who eat and crave chocolate? FYI I just put on 5lbs in last 4 weeks and I think he said 21lbs in total so far.
Thanks for patience reading this!!!!!

I'd be happy to be weighed at every appointment, in fact I'd welcome it. I don't understand people's paranoia. I have read numerous posts on this site where people bemoan not being able to lose excess baby weight.... Wouldn't it be easier to be monitored so that there wasn't excessive baby weight to lose?

Mixxy Tue 19-Feb-13 23:04:49

I don't know that the weighing helps worsestershire. I was a size 10 pre- pregnancy, didnt know my exact weight. Eating during pregnancy felt great for me (no real ms). I ate my fruit, my veg, my hummus, my whole grains etc. but I also had pudding and chocolate and crisps. I'm to going to deny myself something because maybe in 3 weeks time Ill have to get on a scale.

HazleNutt Wed 20-Feb-13 07:14:59

It helps in my case, I put on weight easily and don't want to end up the size of the house, so pregnancy for me is not an excuse not to control my eating. I have the willpower of a gnat though and would otherwise ignore the scales, so knowing that I will be weighed by the doc does help. Putting on too much weight is also an health issue. I'm pretty sure they would not force me if I said no though.

emmyloo2 Wed 20-Feb-13 07:34:04

I have had one baby in the UK and am pregnant with my second in Australia. I wasn't weighed at all in the UK apart from maybe the first appointment. Same in Australia. I have a private obstetrician but his midwives never weight me, thankfully. However, I haven't gained much weight so I guess they don't see an issue. I know some obstetricians do weigh you here in Australia. I would find it very annoying and wouldn't want to know. I hate the gaining weight part of pregnancy - I have had body image issues in my past and it's very difficult for me to watch the weight go up.

LeBFG Wed 20-Feb-13 11:10:04

I feel the same as lots on here. I HATE having my weight monitored (in France) and I have to make a mental effort to ignore the pressure to gain the 'correct' amount. I'm a big believer that if we're hungry in pg there is a reason and we shouldn't ignore it.

Saying that, the OB I spoke to said it was much more of a problem that women ate far too much and that's who they are really targetting. I can see that. The women in my family are pigs love their food and gain immense amounts during pg. It can't be healthy for them or their babies.

BraveLilBear Wed 20-Feb-13 11:39:51

I think in some respects, weighing or at least talking about weight could be useful. I'm not overly keen on being weighed, but I'd welcome the opportunity to voice my concerns - I mentioned low weight gain at my last MW appointment and said I was worried that it was all going to come at once etc and my concerns were pretty much brushed off.

There's a fine line between neurotic measuring and 'you're too fat' to it becoming a taboo subject. I'd like some sensible guidance from HCPs that's non-judgemental and, where possible, specific to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now