Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

39 weeks - high blood pressure and headaches.

(41 Posts)
MrsReiver Mon 18-Feb-13 12:27:11

Title says it all really, I'm 39 weeks today and after suffering the most blinding headaches all weekend (and I can feel one coming on just now) I popped in to see my community midwife this morning. I was fully expecting her to tell me everything was okay, but apparently my blood pressure is "a bit high for you" and there's protein in my urine. It's only 134/94 but it's normally around the 120/70 region.

So it's off to daycare tomorrow for BP profiling and strict instructions from DH to "do bugger all for the rest of the day."

Anyone got any lovely words of reassurance for me? Poor DS is on half term and in between slaying dragons on Skyrim, keeps asking if I'm okay.

MrsReiver Tue 19-Feb-13 03:57:20

Been admitted, which is no surprise. Could sleep standing up but just got to get one more BP Measurement before they let me go to bed. Missing DH and DS already sad

getoffthecoffeetable Tue 19-Feb-13 06:26:11

You're in the best place, but then you know that. For now, it's time for you to be looked after. Your lovely DS will sort his Daddy out and you'll see them both very soon. Not long now until you'll all be together again but with another addition to complete your family.

Mrs I am so glad you went in!

I hope everything goes well, I will be checking back. Get lots of sleep cos it looks like baby will be coming soon grin

MrsReiver Tue 19-Feb-13 09:36:14

Just want to say thank you to you all for telling me to take this seriously, otherwise I would have assumed the midwife was right to have no sense of urgency and wouldn't have been seen until this afternoon.

getoffthecoffeetable Tue 19-Feb-13 10:10:27

I don't think any of us could quite believe your midwife's advice tbh. You had so many symptoms. Have the hospital sorted you out with a plan or are they keeping you into keep an eye on you?
So relieved that you agreed to go in. I kept checking for your update and was much happier as soon as you said you were going in.

SneezySnatcher Tue 19-Feb-13 10:20:03

So pleased you're in the right place now. I was shocked your MW was happy to leave it. Good luck!

I am glad you posted on here Mrs, my heart shot in my mouth when I read your midwives advice.

If I had ignored my symptoms til morning, it doest bear thinking about.

You're in the right place, whats the plan of action? X

I am so glad you went in, I have actually been really worried about you. Your MW's advice was dangerous and you could have been so much worse overnight.

Wishing you and your family good luck. x

MrsReiver Tue 19-Feb-13 11:55:32

I'm home , blood pressure has come down, blood tests and urine tests all normal and kidneys working like a dream. Consultant pretty scathing of midwife, it wasn't my regular one so hopefully our paths won't cross again.

I am to attend midwife every week and have my induction date if I go overdue but they don't expect me to need the appointment. Baby has moved and is now back to back so am off to get swaying over my birthing ball.

Once again thank you SO much for your advice and encouragement. I'm glad I listened to you instead of MW.

Dogsmom Tue 19-Feb-13 12:01:06

Glad you went to be checked too, I was amazed when I read that the mw didn't send you straight away, I'm 37+3 and over the last 2 weeks have been in and out of hospital with the same symptoms as you, each time though my bloods are showing normal so they send me home then the mw does a home visit after 2 days sees I have high bp, protein, huge swollen legs and sends me back! They always tell me to go straight away though, never the next day. PE can be extremely serious and come on very fast.

Wishfulmakeupping Tue 19-Feb-13 12:08:18

Glad you went to get checked OP sans happened to me a couple of time and I was sent straight to mat assessment, your midwife sounds worrying laid back! Hope the rest of the pregnancy goes well

getoffthecoffeetable Tue 19-Feb-13 14:03:45

Brilliant news. Try and take it easy now. Good luck with the rest if your pregnancy.

MrsReiver Tue 19-Feb-13 14:41:05

Fortunately she's not my normal midwife, but it is worrying she could be giving such laid back advice to women who could be seriously ill. We have encountered her before, she absolutely mutilated my left arm trying to get a blood sample. for my glucose tolerance test. She's not really my favourite person grin

I'll mention her poor advice when I see my usual midwife on Monday.

Glad you are home and everything has calmed down. I was in and out like a yo-yo the drs used to roll their eyes at me.

Hopefully your blood pressure will behave itself and you will have a lovely labour. Keep in tune with your body though, slightest hint of anything go back ring labour ward.

I would definitely mention the advice you were given by that midwife, I was very concerned about you. Will keep checking back to see how you are x

MrsReiver Fri 22-Feb-13 23:50:50

Baby boy Reiver was born this afternoon grin

getoffthecoffeetable Sat 23-Feb-13 06:26:17

Congratulations Mrs R, that's lovely news! Enjoy every moment x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now