Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

37 weeks & DC4 in breech position,I'm not worried but MW is?

(18 Posts)
Countmyblessings Tue 19-Feb-13 23:38:07

Still unsure about what choices I do have as don't want to put any Un needed harm to baby!
Still have time and hopefully baby will turn, not sure when this baby will come but only time will tell!

madwomanacrosstheroad Tue 19-Feb-13 13:10:25

Reason why they are worried is if the babies heas is not down and engaged there are risks if your waters break suddenly in which case there is very little time. That is the reason why i was given choice between elective section and admission to ante-natal ward.

WoTmania Tue 19-Feb-13 13:02:14

They thought DD was breech at around 35 weeks but were quite positive about me having a vaginal birth, just wanted me to go to hopital rather than stay at home. I think they were relaxed because they knew me and I'd already had to uncomplicated births.

Sounds like you are simply unfortunate in the MW you saw that day. I would go well armed with facts about vaginal breech births if it were me.

Hopefully your baby is really head down (DD was by the time I had the positional scan) and you'll fine.

Countmyblessings Tue 19-Feb-13 12:54:23

Yes I can feel her head its just under my ribs!
I'm having a scan on Thursday and I guess they will then try till me about csection and all that stuff!
I'm not thinking doom and gloom as I was like baby will turn but MW is the one who seems worried and concerned other then this I have had a straight forwards pregnancy with hardly any issues well apart from spd which is awful!
I will not stop thinking baby will turn its just most of the " spinning" help is when baby is smaller! My last dc3 was born at 38 weeks!!!!

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Tue 19-Feb-13 12:48:59

And very surprised they haven't offered an ECV (not that I'd have one personally).

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Tue 19-Feb-13 12:46:50

Some units will offer breech delivery to non first timers. But unfortunately the skills to deliver safely have all but vanished since almost all breech babies are born by section. Dc2 was breech til 30 weeks (didn't budge), I did a few days of inversions as per the spinning babies website and round she flipped. Been cephalic since. Probably would have turned anyway. I'd already started thinking breech delivery vs cs and the lack of appropriate skilled midwifery meant I would have chosen a cs despite a very straightforward 1st birth.

I assume your midwife has booked you a scan and consultant appointment? Worth trying a few moves in the meantime.

Hope baby turns for you.

madwomanacrosstheroad Tue 19-Feb-13 12:01:01

The beauty about moxabustion is that if the baby has a reason for not turning it wont. I got the cigars in chinese shop on the high street and the point is on yhe outside of your little toe roughly at the level of where your toenail starts. You need to google to see how often/long it needs to be done but i seem to recall we did it every night until she turned. They can and do turn really late. If baby does noy turn and you go into labour with babybreech they can still do a section. I have heard of several women who after a few babies had one that did not turn until the very end.

Dogsmom Tue 19-Feb-13 11:55:58

I can feel a hard lump too under my ribs and what I though were kicks low down, the lump is her bum and the kicks low down my be punches.

Dogsmom Tue 19-Feb-13 11:54:40

Have you had a scan?

I'm 37+3 and was told by 5 separate midwives that she was breech, a scan last monday shows different though, definitely head down.

Countmyblessings Tue 19-Feb-13 11:31:23

Thanks have gone onto you tube and saw what I can do, just worried abit that I'm too late for baby to be turned!
Will keep on trying as you just never know!!!

Msbluesky32 Mon 18-Feb-13 11:25:18

I meant butterfliesinmytummy posted about spinning babies, my I need to wake up! Sorry!

madwomanacrosstheroad Mon 18-Feb-13 11:21:49

My dc 4 turned brerch at around 38 weeks and then proceeded to become an instable lie. The planned homebirth was obviously out thr window but with moxabustion which we did ourselves (it does not smell nice but is not rocket science). She turned into birthing position as i went into labour. They did at the end give me the option to either get booked for cs or stay in hospital in case my waters go and her cord gets trapped. Hospital was not great but imo preferable to cs. Birth itself was a breeze.

Msbluesky32 Mon 18-Feb-13 11:21:40
Msbluesky32 Mon 18-Feb-13 11:21:11

You could try and help her move - there is a website called Spinning Babies that has some exercises as countmyblessings suggested (although I'd do them with someone watching you or nearby to help you as they involve sort of hanging upside down and I got stars in front of my eyes!).

I also found some exercises on youtube (hoping the link works, Ill try again if it doesnt):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pteEYX8zwWc

Countmyblessings Mon 18-Feb-13 11:13:58

Thanks - its just annoying that they are making such decisions even though, I think there is still time for baby to turn, I don't want to be difficult just would prefer having my final birth experience to go as smoothly as my others where!
I can def feel her head right near my Belly button and her feet down on my bladder!!!!!

Dd2 was head down at 40 weeks, then breech at 41 weeks..... She had alternated between breech and head down every week for about 6 weeks so they can and do turn (I know what she was doing because I live in a country where you get scanned every week from 34 to 40 weeks - it can be really difficult to tell if your baby is breech without a scan). I also live in a country where breech births are just not done so i had a cs and it was fine. Take a look at the spinning babies website, try cleaning floors on your hands and knees, do handstands in a swimming pool etc. I think these things worked for me, I just had a very stubborn baby and nothing has changed since then

NAR4 Mon 18-Feb-13 08:34:22

I was told at 36 weeks that this baby (no 5) was breech and midwife said if it didn't turn before 38 week appointment then I would be booked for a C section. I was keen to give birth as normal even if breech but was told it is nation wide policy to deliver breech babies by C section.

My baby (apparently) turned (never thought it was breech anyway), so it won't be an issue for me. I do know 2 people who have delivered breech babies normally because they outright refused a C section. They did have to discuss this with a consultant though who used all sorts of scare tactics to try and put them off.

Arm yourself with all the facts and get a consultant appointment. I'm sure you will have to have one anyway to be booked for a C section.

Good luck.

Countmyblessings Mon 18-Feb-13 00:13:20

Anyone else had this MW talking about CSection?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now