Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Oh the ENDLESS things we can't do

(79 Posts)
Fairy130389 Sat 16-Feb-13 12:08:20

I was just told this morning that I couldn't have eyelash extensions because you have to lie down for so long!!!!!

When I've given birth I'm going to sit in a jacuzzi eating brie and Mr Whippy and having my eyelashes done.

MrsDeVere Sat 16-Feb-13 18:55:39

I live in the East End.

Its like an episode of Call the Midwife round here when the mums start discussing all the things you can't do in pregnancy.

Ironically smoking is always ok and its just the nosy cow of a MW trying to get in your business grin

BigBoPeep Sat 16-Feb-13 18:58:34

I did and ate whatever I damn well wanted with zero effects on me or the kid grin brie, prawns, runny egg...you name it. there was that much 'advice' you can't really make head nor tail of it so I decided to ignore the lot and follow my body's lead.

space21 Sat 16-Feb-13 19:27:21

I eat pasteurised Brie. I live in France and there are 500 other cheeses that I have to avoid cos they are unpasteurised ( and very tasty of course).

I miss prawns but I've substituted that and everything else I can't eat or drink with chcolate. It helps except too much is startin to give me heartburn sad

It isn't great for PG ladies to lay on their back in the last trimester as bump puts pressure on heart and lungs. Makes me feel out of breath if I do it. (35 weeks)

stowsettler Sat 16-Feb-13 21:23:03

I'm with BigBoPeep. I've avoided literally nothing and carried on with life as normal. I've got to 40+3 without any ill effects.
So much complete and utter bollocks is spouted about what pregnant women can / can't do. Frankly it boils my piss to steaming point. Just use common sense and moderation, for Chrissakes!

sleepyhead Sat 16-Feb-13 21:35:36

I've been putting together a flat pack IKEA kitchen today. Will hopefully finish fitting it tomorrow.

I'm 32 weeks. Told the plumber who came to move some pipes that dh would be doing most of it though when he looked askance at my bump (will he buggery - he's dealing with moving the really heavy bits though).

rrreow Sat 16-Feb-13 21:41:50

During my last pregnancy my friend (no kids) was VERY worried when I jumped up and down, saying something like "Oh my god, be careful!!!" thinking it was going to damage the baby grin

DinglebertWangledack Sat 16-Feb-13 21:44:15

with dd i avoided everything, this time I'm eating runny eggs like they're going out of fashion as its fine as long as the eggs have the red lion stamp on them.

Kittenkatzen Sat 16-Feb-13 22:20:59

I have no idea what my friends issue with bowling was - something to do with the heavy balls and twisting I gather. No idea how he thinks I get trough normal day to day carrying stuff and moving about....

grin at the MIL chasing the poor woman through the supermarket!

Dannilion Sat 16-Feb-13 22:27:24

We're not allowed to eat Mr Whippy?

Well my little cub has no hope then. I ate dozens throughout the summer. I still eat dippy eggs. My tan is sprayed on, my eyelashes aren't real, my hair is highlighted and my tea is full of caffeine!

I'm already a terrible mother. Probably why I'm currently trying to get her active little feet out of my ribcage.

MumofWombat Sat 16-Feb-13 23:08:08

space21 I live in Australia, and there are no guidelines about not eating prawns here.... In fact, that's one of the things I find quite funny as different countries give different advice. I reckon as long as you are pretty sensible it will all be fine.

wispa31 Sun 17-Feb-13 01:46:46

my also pg friend looked shocked when i said id been eating dairylea. 'YOU CANT EAT THAT!! ITS DAIRY!!' err, yea, why is that a problem?

5madthings Sun 17-Feb-13 01:54:16

Are we not meant to eat prawns?!!

fatandlumpy Sun 17-Feb-13 05:53:41

This reminds me of my booking in appointment when boyf and I first met one of the team of midwives looking after me. I think I've been really lucky with my team as all of them have been bang-on.

Anyway - the midwife is running through the 'you can't eat these things' list which includes cured meat, pate, runny eggs - basically 3/4 of my diet when she comes to the 'rare steak' bit. Boyf (hysterically - as in, I thought I might have to b*tch-slap him), literally jumps up and points an accusatory finger at me shouting "She's had a rare steak!".

Midwife reaction... Classic. She rolls her eyes and then asks boyf, "Did she get toxoplasmosis then?", boyf sits down again looking confused.

She looks me straight in the eye and says "It doesn't matter what I say - it's really up to you. Just be sensible."

Bang-on really.

(haggis munching, blackpudding eating, dippy-egg addict!)

*PS - Avoiding prawns as they make me hurl

cherrycherry41 Sun 17-Feb-13 06:32:17

Posts like this annoy me, im not a saint or anything but its 7/8 months of your whole life (granted most people dont find out theyre preg until 4-8weeks gone) im sure you could have the will power to go without a bit of fancy cheese and runny egg!
Everything the nhs recommended i shouldnt eat/drink/do during pregnancy
- i didnt! Its that simple, i wouldnt risk the life of my baby.
I didnt drink/smoke/drink caffeine/eat risk foods/dye my hair etc no matter how bad i wanted to!
And for your information mr whippy contains raw egg (thats how they make it runny) and is a HUGE risk of salmonella which causes a massive amount of miscarriages and stillbirths each year.
And lying on your back for an extended period of time forces your baby to lie on its blood and oxygen supply.. also a no-brainer!
For the sake of you getting some fake lashes..?

FergusSingsTheBlues Sun 17-Feb-13 06:37:24

There is far too much scaremongering about pregnancy. I have little time for it. Have quit the fags, booze and organ meat. Dont indulge with any of that beauty malarkey as it is.
Our mothers werent this obsessed and we all made it through, right?

fatandlumpy Sun 17-Feb-13 07:12:40

Wow Cherry!

PseudoBadger Sun 17-Feb-13 07:21:19

Cherrycherry - I'm sorry, but mr whippy DOES NOT contain raw egg - that's insane! Otherwise children and old people would be advised not to eat it. The risk is from the machine harbouring bacteria. Home made sorbet contains raw egg though. However, lion marked eggs will eliminate any salmonella risk.

EuroShagmore Sun 17-Feb-13 07:32:36

Cherry, did you drive or travel in cars when pg? Because if so you took a huge risk with your baby. There are far more traffic accidents in this country than cases of listeria. And I think the last known case was from salad rather than stinky cheese or any of the other things we are told to avoid for the listeria risk.

Dannilion Sun 17-Feb-13 07:44:47

I guess cherry is too busy rocking back and forth in her cotton wool cocoon to notice that the NHS website say its perfectly fine to dye your hair whilst pregnant. Or that eggs with the lion mark/ bought from a catering business are perfectly safe.

But please, feel free to fill these women with your hysterical misinformed paranoia. I'm sure we all don't have enough to worry about as it is.

CelticPromise Sun 17-Feb-13 07:54:35

I look at the guidelines. I look at the reasons for them. I make my own decisions.

So I've eaten oysters, because the risk is about food poisoning being unpleasant in pregnancy. I've eaten blue cheese, because it was really good quality, and I judge that the risk of listeria is very low. It's not sweaty cheddar from a buffet! I'm avoiding liver, because I understand that the vit A is a problem. I laugh in the face of runny egg guidance. I ate home made mayo last week, I know where the eggs are from and how fresh they are. I'm avoiding booze except for the odd sip, but I'll have the odd glass after 12 weeks. I'm running a 10k today, and if one more person asks if I should be doing it....

This is a very precious and much wanted baby. But the guidelines are a tiny bit hysterical. in my opinion.

cupcake78 Sun 17-Feb-13 07:59:45

Cherry, each to there own etc etc!
Being pregnant is a risk in itself as is getting up each morning. I've come to the conclusion after numerous miscarriages if its going to happen there isn't alot you can do about it.

Certain foods are not recommended as they increase the chance of mum getting food poisoning but don't affect the baby, ie salmonella from eggs.

I ate Mr whippy yesterday and only thought when I was finished 'I don't think I should have had that'. I've been having runny lion marked eggs, cooked prawns, thawed smoked salmon, cooked goats cheese and Brie.

The only thing I will not venture into is the pâté and farm made unpasteurised cheese. These cause the risk to the baby, even though its so tiny unless you bath in it you should be ok.

RobinSparkles Sun 17-Feb-13 08:05:38

Mr Whippy contains raw egg? No it doesn't, it contains only milk products, apparently! The listeria risk is because you cannot guarantee that the machine has been properly cleaned by the seller.

Listeria risks are very small, although, obviously, when pg the risk is higher because the immune system isn't as good as normal.

Where do people get the information that you can't eat prawns?!? You CAN eat prawns, just as long as they are properly cooked.

You CAN eat nuts.

SuckingDiesel Sun 17-Feb-13 10:31:21

Cherry, cherry, cherry....such conviction for one so misinformed.

Mr Whippy ice cream is a reconstituted powdered milk product. It does not contain raw egg.

And the lying on your back thing is because, in later pregnancy, the weight of the uterus may compress your vena cava, potentially causing you to pass out...it does not restrict blood supply to the baby.

Soft eggs....fine so long as they are lion marked.

Perhaps check your facts before you go scaremongering.

MrsDeVere Sun 17-Feb-13 10:51:39

Cherry. I think it is important to find out why you are frightened of something before being frightened of it.

The idea that an icecream van would drive around selling raw eggs to small children is ridiculous.

Lots of my friends would gasp in horror that I was eating mayonnaise. They didn't know why they were horrified, they just thought they should be.

Like a jar of uber pasteurised supermarket mayonnaise would pose a threat hmm

Why can't you dye your hair?
If lying down was a danger to unborn babies how the hell has the human race survived this long? confused

MrsDeVere Sun 17-Feb-13 10:52:45

sucking THATS what this mw said! She said about the vena cava thing and then said 'so if it does that to you, just IMAGINE WHAT IT DOES TO THE BABY!!!!'

FFS hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now