Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Emergency cervix stitch

(16 Posts)
Graciegirl17 Sat 16-Feb-13 11:19:35

Hi there. I went into hospital on tuesday as I had a tiny bit of blood I was 20 weeks and 5 days pregnant. They checked my blood and urine and all was fine. They then looked up my vagina and I was 3cm dilated with bulging membranes. I had no pain I was devastated. They then put a stitch in on Tuesday night which they said lasts on average between 5 and 8 weeks. I am terrified every little pain or discharge I panic. I am havin alot of discharge. They can't tell me what will happen, obviously I could go into labour at any point. Anyone have any experience on this?

greengoose Sat 16-Feb-13 11:59:27

Hi Gracie, I don't have any experience of this, but didnt want to read and run. I'm not surprised you are scared. Will they rescan you or anything to reassure you? I bet MW would be happy to let you hear your baby on the Doppler if you are worried.
I'm sorry you are going through this, and hope it works out for you, it's good they caught what was happening. I'm sure women who know about this will be here soon. ( very gentle hug).

Gingerbreadpixie Sat 16-Feb-13 12:39:56

Hi Gracie. Im not exactly experienced in this either but i wanted to offer a hand to hold. I will be monitored for possible cervical stitch due to having a cervical cone biopsy a few years back (had part of cervix removed basically). I'm assuming not, but have you had any cervical procedures following an abnormal smear test at any point? And have you now been told to have complete bed rest? The little I know about these stitches is that they can be very effective at preventing premature labour and bed rest is often advised alongside them.

I hope someone comes along soon with some better experience/advice. Until then, I'm sending you a hug xx

SofaKing Sat 16-Feb-13 12:46:18

Hi Gracie, my sister had this 20 years ago when pg with her dcs. I would second what has been said about bed rest, and if you have any bleeding or discharge phone the mw straight away.

My dsis lost her first baby as she had an incompetent cervix which was not diagnosed until after her loss, but she went on to have three healthy full term pgs with a cervical stitch in each time, so it does help to prevent premature births.

Good luck and do as little as you can, look after yourself and bump!

Graciegirl17 Sat 16-Feb-13 12:51:37

Thankyou it means alot. I have had no procedures and they said its normal to have abit of mucus now. I have to go to a clinic every Monday so they measure my cervix but all a waitin game really. I worry at any little pain or twinge. But guess whatever's guna happen will happen xxx

ExpatAl Sat 16-Feb-13 12:58:03

I have been told that discharge is normal because they dislodge the mucus plug when they do the stitch. I understand that this replaces itself so try not to worry. It's a frightening time for you but the fact that they caught it in time bodes well for you. Wishing you best of luck x

Graciegirl17 Sat 16-Feb-13 13:17:53

Yes I am just prayin that this stitch lasts the average of 5 to 8 weeks xx

Gingerbreadpixie Sat 16-Feb-13 13:51:49

I know it must be extremely worrying. I'm worried about my cervix and I'm actually aware of my situation and will be monitored, so for it to come out of the blue must be very frightening and overwhelming.

Looking at the positives, its good you'll be monitored weekly now and it's good it was discovered at a time when your doctors can take action and do something about it with the stitch. In between hospital/doctor visits rest up as much as you can. Stay in bed or make up a cosy bed on the sofa, get yourself a pile of books and DVDs and take it easy as much as possible.

Keep us updated xx

SleepyDeer Sat 16-Feb-13 18:28:29

Hello Gracie, I have had no experirncr but was ment to have a cervical stitch with my baby boy in April at 23 weeks. But I was already 10cm dilated, he was born sleeping.

Have you been told you have a weak cervix? Make sure if you need reassuring, you go to the hospital. Good luck to you, maybe bed rest is best for you and baby thanks

ExpatAl Sat 16-Feb-13 19:00:14

I gave birth to my baby boy far too early too at 25 weeks and know that I face the same risk for this pregnancy. I will be scanned weekly from 16 weeks to have my cervix checked and really understand how hard all of this is OP. Am rooting for you and baby. I have heard many stories of the cervix stabilising so have everything crossed for you.

ExpatAl Sat 16-Feb-13 19:03:07

Sleepydeer so sorry for your loss.

Graciegirl17 Sun 17-Feb-13 07:56:03

Im so sorry for your loss xxx

penguinplease Sun 17-Feb-13 08:11:14

Hi, this happened to me. My temporary stitch lasted way beyond the few weeks I was told and I had it removed safely at 37 weeks in the end. The most risky thing about the stitch is the having it put in, you got through that so plenty of resting now.

I've had three children and had earlier planned stitches the 2nd and 3rd time. Try not to panic.

Swift101 Sun 17-Feb-13 08:14:42

Hi, I had a prem baby at 27 weeks 8 years ago so when I was 20 weeks pregnant with my next baby, 2 years ago, I had a scan of my cervix when having the 20 week scan and I too was dilating. Had an emergency McDonald suture put in the next day. I was terrified! I was on bed rest until 30weeks (and I literally just took my elder son to school and came home and laid on sofa every day!) then I relaxed a bit at 30 weeks and did more.

I had the stitch out at 36 weeks but my baby wasn't born until nearly 40 weeks! A healthy 8lb 8!

I had a lot of discharge and was told I might get an infection and the stitch would need to come out but luckily I was fine. I personally wanted to get past 27 weeks and had this as a goal, then 30, then 34 etc. 40 weeks sounded a long way away!

Hope things go well for you, rest rest rest! Let me know if you want any more info.
X

Graciegirl17 Sun 17-Feb-13 09:07:11

I am just worried as I'm still havin mucus with a bit of pink blood. Docs said this is fine but I panic. I'm still in pain in my back I'm assumin from epidural and just feel abit sore and scared xxx

penguinplease Sun 17-Feb-13 11:36:49

I had the pain and mucus all the way through and the pain in your back is probably the epidural and also the fact they have pulled down on your cervix can make you feel like you have period type pains.
Just rest rest rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now