Webchat with Green Party leader Natalie Bennett, Wednesday at 1pm x

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Have to see consultant due to Bmi.

(34 Posts)
louloutheshamed Fri 08-Feb-13 17:35:51

I am really upset about this. Am nearly 9 weeks and had booking in appt last week. My midwife said on the form that it was a 'low risk booking' but calculated my Bmi as 31. She didn't say anything about this though.

Today I have a letter for my scan appt in 3 weeks time but also for a consultant appt. I rang up as I was worried when I saw the consultant appt and the person answering phone said it was due to my Bmi. Wouldn't you think the midwife
Would have mentioned this??

Now I know it is too high and I have struggled with my weight since having ds 2yr ago. I really do want to address it but at the minute I am feeling so nauseous that I seem to be munching on stuff all the time to relieve the sick feeling. I just can't see how it is going to get any better now that I am pg and am feeling really Low about it.

What will they say to me at the appt? Does anyone have any advice/ experience?

louloutheshamed Sat 09-Feb-13 08:38:56

Thank you these experiences are helpful. Northern I sound similar to you I am 29 and ds was 8lb 7oz so not huge. At the minute the idea of the Gtt makes me want to cry but hopefully that will change by the time I am in the 3rd tri and the sickness has stopped.

The weird thing is I have 2 friends who have had gd and they were not overweight at all??

Supergal Sat 09-Feb-13 12:42:07

But it's only a fast, glucose drink and a few blood tests. I don't understand why it's such a big deal honestly. If it can help you and your baby by earlier diagnosis then I'd do it.

Just my perspective mind you and I speak from the position of having a baby who died neonatally so I'm more cautious and will take anything that's offered.

Everyone here gets offered a GTT at 28 weeks regardless of BMI.

Supergal I'm sorry to read of your loss and of course that influences how you would feel about proposed interventions. We are all informed by our experiences. I was very keen to avoid induction with dd3 and refused to be booked for at least 14 days after term. 10 days was the stadard on our trust at that time. She actually arrived at +8 so it wasn't an issue. Since her birth a friend has lost a baby to stillbirth. She wasn't quite at term when that happened but still - I think if I was going past dates now I would be happier to accept induction. The point is that every pregnant woman - overweight or not - should be able to make their own evaluation of the risks and benefits. Very few decisions are as cut and dried as 'this will save your baby, this will harm your baby'. Mostly it's about 'this might give us some information that might change your management and that might have a good consequence or a bad one and you might be anxious about a or you might be anxious about b...' It's just very hard sometimes and so it can be hard to understand each other's reasoning.

Bluemonkeyspots Sat 09-Feb-13 13:43:32

Is it different in different areas?

Mine was 34 at booking but because I'm tall she said it was fine hmm not sure what she was thinking as bmi takes height into consideration.

Anyway I've needed a few extra checkups because of previous problems with being pg (none weight related) and my weight has never been mentioned by anyone.

I may need a cs this time though and am worried I will get a bollocking then If it's needed.

Supergal Sat 09-Feb-13 15:21:23

Northern, you're right. I think that what I was trying to say was that we all need to make informed decisions - be aware of all the facts, the risks and benefits of action or inaction - to make what decisions we feel right for us and our babies.

I had a cs after a failed induction and the amethyst it's said she was surprised at my BMI and said her personal view was BMI is a flawed system to calculate obesity. I am very short which is what she said skewed my results.

Anaesthetist hmm

PickleSarnie Sat 09-Feb-13 20:24:05

It must be really random in different areas. My bmi was 31 but I never had a GTT and was low risk all the way though. Had a homebirth and my bmi was never mentioned as a concern at any point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now