Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Best book about pregnancy to read?

(26 Posts)
GettingObsessive Thu 31-Jan-13 20:02:35

Just got a BFP and DH and I like to know stuff smile

I suspect a book is the best way to go about this, rather than random googling.

The Pregnancy For Men book has been recommended, but is there a general book that you would recommend? I'm thinking something along the lines of "What to expect" or something.

Wallison Sat 09-Feb-13 11:55:57

I really liked the Sheila Kitzinger book - very well-written, with lots of information and some great pictures. But then I'm an old hippy.

I really like The Pregnancy Bible - it has some fabulous pictures of how the baby grows from a wee egg to a human!

Lots of handy things explained in there too.

scissy Sat 09-Feb-13 11:02:28

I got Bumpology for DH as he found the other pregnancy for men books too laddish. It's a good read, very factual, and goes through the medical evidence for various bits of pregnancy and parenting (as DH says 'finally a book where I don't need to go "citation needed!"')

ExhaustedMamasita Fri 08-Feb-13 13:44:28

I recently bought Your Pregnancy Bible online and extremely pleased with the content. It's very informative with tonnes of data about each and every step of pregnancy. It really is a bible! I'd highly recommend.

GettingObsessive Fri 01-Feb-13 20:40:01

Ah yes, I heard the feature on R4 but didn't want to order it as it was a bit previous then grin

Petcat Fri 01-Feb-13 18:50:12

If you're after facts and research-based information Bumpology by Linda Geddes is a good one. It's a collection of her columns from New Scientist magazine so it's very informative and readable.

I've also enjoyed Your Pregnancy Day-by-Day, the pictures and developmental information are great. However it can be annoying if you're not enjoying a textbook pregnancy i.e. glowing and full of energy at the 'right' time. The stuff about baby is fascinating though.

weeblueberry Fri 01-Feb-13 12:09:44

I love my What to Expect and yes there's definitely a UK version that is specific to Britain. That was my main worry about getting it was that it would be too UScentric but was assured from people here there was a version for us too. smile

GettingObsessive Fri 01-Feb-13 11:48:38

Thanks again. I think I would prefer something very factual at this stage, rather than a "funny" book. Plus I've got to wait ages until booking in! I'm very impatient smile

photographerlady Fri 01-Feb-13 10:26:48

internet like babycentre or here had the exact same info as a baby book

Jollyb Fri 01-Feb-13 10:03:40

I'm the opposite. I quite liked what to expect but hated the rough guide - the writing style made me cringe. DP was bought about 3 copies of the blokes guide to pregnancy which lay unopened.

HazleNutt Fri 01-Feb-13 09:34:28

DH loves the Pregnancy for Men book, and Toddlers and Babies for Men. I quite like Pregnancy for Modern Girls.
Hated What to Expect..

CollectorofCookbooks Fri 01-Feb-13 08:27:27

A second vote here for the mumsnet guide - I've bought the baby one too - DH and I both really liked it

Was given a copy of What to expect - didn't like it at all! The Miriam Stoppard one was marginally better, but all that kind of week by week info is readily available online, so I'm glad I didn't pay for those two!

And congratulations OP

Rockchick1984 Fri 01-Feb-13 01:05:06

I loved the mumsnet guide to pregnancy! It's very funny, and easy to dip into or just read cover to cover.

Don't forget you also get a pregnancy guide at your booking appointment with the midwife which explains all the tests etc.

Peregrin Thu 31-Jan-13 22:37:11

Also, I have now looked up Pregnancy for Men on Amazon. Some readers felt it has a laddish tone, one wishing that it had been written by Stephen Fry smile Is there actually a pregnancy book out there that reads as if it had been written by Stephen Fry? I'd be all over it!

Peregrin Thu 31-Jan-13 22:29:13

I've just seen there is a Mumsnet guide to pregnancy too smile (I mean, in a book form). Anyone read it? It got good reviews on Amazon!

craftycottontail Thu 31-Jan-13 21:56:51

My sis in law loaned me What to Expect

but to be honest I wouldn't bother buying one myself as there's SO much information available on the internet!

bangersmashandbeans Thu 31-Jan-13 21:31:44

By Vicki Iovine by the way

bangersmashandbeans Thu 31-Jan-13 21:30:26

Just read a book called 'the friends guide to pregnancy' very amusing and informative and no holds barred about the 'delicacies' of pregnancy.'

GettingObsessive Thu 31-Jan-13 21:15:17

Thanks all

fl0b0t Thu 31-Jan-13 21:04:10

Pregnancy for men is excellent! I much prefer it to my book, which is Zita Wests "your pregnancy companion". It's ok, a bit.... wishy washy in places!

HavingALittleFaithBaby Thu 31-Jan-13 20:31:52

DH got You're pregnant too, mate! He's found it both informative and funny. I've got the Rough guide to pregnancy which is very wittily written.

TwitchyTail Thu 31-Jan-13 20:22:33

BikeRunSki, there's a US and a UK version of What To Expect. I read the UK version and it was definitely geared towards what happens here (and was very accurate with tests offered etc). But good point to make sure you are ordering the correct one if you buy from Amazon or similar!

BikeRunSki Thu 31-Jan-13 20:19:18

I hated 'What to Expect...' - too American, geared up for tests, checks etc in US and I didn't like the Q&A style of the book. Much preferred the friendly style of 'The Best Friend's Guide to Pregnancy' and 'The Rough Guide to Pregnancy'.

kpaljon Thu 31-Jan-13 20:11:43

DH has pregnancy for men and he really likes it. We also have what to expect when expecting and I find it helpful.

TwitchyTail Thu 31-Jan-13 20:08:41

I got the new version of What To Expect When You're Expecting out of the library and it was pretty good - detailed but easy to read and accessible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now