Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

To find out or not find out?

(36 Posts)
Fairy130389 Mon 28-Jan-13 13:03:40

I have my 20 week scan tomorrow...
I have always been clear that I didn't want to find out the gender of the baby, until about a month ago when I suddenly decided that I HAD to know!!!!
I have a 7 year old DSD living here too so thought it would help her bond with new baby knowing what it is, plus it will help with the planning, plus I'm impatient! haha!
What are recommendations about finding out or not? Will I regret opening my present early? Should I just wait?? I don't want to regret ruining the surprise!

HavingALittleFaithBaby Tue 29-Jan-13 21:36:00

Wonderful! Congratulations grin

TwitchyTail Tue 29-Jan-13 21:39:05

Congratulations!! Come and join me in the fabulous Unborn Boy Club grin

Stixswhichtwizzle Tue 29-Jan-13 21:39:06

Congratulations!

SaggyOldPregnantCatpuss Tue 29-Jan-13 22:51:58

When if we get to that stage, we wont be finding out! We've been through that magic moment at birth twice now, and it is just amazing. Im writing into my birth plan this time, that we dont want the midwife to tell us, we want to find out for ourselves.

SaggyOldPregnantCatpuss Tue 29-Jan-13 22:52:33

Congratulations. grin

massagegirl Wed 30-Jan-13 09:35:03

We've found out but are keeping it a secret just been the three of us which feels really lovely! plus I was able to go out and buy a cute babygro.

Dogsmom Wed 30-Jan-13 15:24:27

Congratulations Fairy.

What made you decide to find out in the end and are you glad you did?

emeraldgirl1 Wed 30-Jan-13 16:40:16

I'm a vote for finding out!
I'm a control freak so couldn't NOT know...
Also I had quite an extreme reaction when I found out the gender (it was the opposite one to the one I'd been assuming/hoping it was) as I have all kinds of issues with mother-daughter relationships from my own. Weeks along, and I am not only 'reconciled' to the idea of having a girl but absolutely THRILLED about it. The scan has given me time to come to terms with my own issues about it. Not saying you have the same issue, but it's just one more reason to FIND OUT!! smile

emeraldgirl1 Wed 30-Jan-13 16:41:14

OH - I skimmed the thread and didn't realise you HAVE now found out!!!

Huge congrats, what lovely news smile

LazyMachine Wed 30-Jan-13 17:00:42

Congrats on your son Fairy!

We found out at our 20 wk scan, too (due next week), and it's been so wonderful knowing. When he arrives, our big surprise for everyone will be announcing his name (& I would suggest keeping that between you and DP/H.)

Enjoy your good news!

Fairy130389 Wed 30-Jan-13 19:39:14

Thanks all, I'm SO glad I found out, I feel much more connected to the baby already, and my DH is absolutely over the moon, plus it's the first Grandson (my dsd and SIL's baby are girls), so everyone is mega excited now!!! I can definitely see the argument for waiting but I just can't wait now! Plus I'm going shopping on Sat and have been eyeing up the boy clothes in Next!!

DOGSMOM - In the end I just couldn't wait, my DH was still not wanting to even when we were in the scan room (I had bullied him heavily into finding out) but now he's happy we did too (I am usually right!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now