Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Burns night - anyone else planning on eating haggis?

(16 Posts)
lollypopsicle Sat 26-Jan-13 16:53:16

I polished off a big portion last night then it occurred to me that It's not strictly allowed. I'd still have eaten it tho, the amount of vit A in 1 portion of haggis on 1 occasion is not going to do any harm. In fact, I bet haggis has a lot of goodness to offer baby smile

I had haggis! And a teeny sip of whiskey (before passing the rest of it to DH). So I have been very naughty but feeling ok this morning!! Anyone else? It was a good night smile

u32ng Fri 25-Jan-13 18:28:13

Yeah, I agree - if I was still early days I'd be a lot more cautious and probably would go veggie/avoid (after 1st preg mc I was positively anal about food until about 20wks).

Ended up having a wee bit tonight anyway as I also agree that the vit A content in a whole haggis + having a third of it max can't possibly be that high.

weeblueberry Fri 25-Jan-13 16:55:09

Liver is such a small component of haggis that I will be having some, yes. But I'm at 25 weeks and admit I might not have done it in the first trimester...

Librarina Fri 25-Jan-13 16:15:43

I'm having it - it's probably the only time in the pregnancy that I will have haggis (I mean, when else do you eat it?)

I'm also having a little shot of whisky. It will be very good single malt and I'm fairly certain my baby will like it.... it's what s/he was conceived on!

Ellypoo Fri 25-Jan-13 15:22:12

Haggis has got liver in - saw a lady from McSweets on Sunday Brunch last week. You can get veg haggis though?

Hubby and I always go out with friends for Burns night (I'll admit, I mostly do it cos it's the only time I can get him to take me out!), and was wondering about this...

Will see how I feel tonight. Am 33 weeks and baby is very much happy and kicking the hell out of mummy all day long... so I feel safer doing stuff like this than I would say in the early days.

Eletheomel Fri 25-Jan-13 13:12:31

I'm a vegetarian so will be having a veggie haggis. However, I have to say if I was still carniverous I'd be having one too.

The liver content of a haggis isn't very high (lots of other stuff in there) and when you portion it out, it's even less so can't imagine it would have much impact on vit a levels, esp when we're all probably having hardly any vit a just now anyway.

I'd go for it and enjoy (however, I would note that I'm not a health professional :-)

dubai71 Fri 25-Jan-13 12:09:07

I think you're supposed to only have a tiny bit because of the liver/ Vit A element. So sadly, I am going for vegetarian haggis- better than nothing.

CountryCupcakes Fri 25-Jan-13 11:57:10

Absolutely yes! It's my due date today so I'm eating what I want. I've eaten it on and off throughout this pg and it's caused no problems. I love the stuff!

Bejeena Fri 25-Jan-13 11:47:42

Oh and I am 10 weeks

Bejeena Fri 25-Jan-13 11:47:30

I have ummed and ahhhed about it but have been told that the haggis we will be having doesn't contain liver, according to the packet. So I am going to have some, if it was surely would only be a small amount anyway ;-)

Whyriskit Fri 25-Jan-13 11:29:47

I'm only 8 weeks and I'm planning on having some. See no reason why not.

DontSweatTheSmallStuff Fri 25-Jan-13 11:25:07

I'm 20 weeks and will be having some. Tbh I try not to think too much about what's in it, I just know the ones we get are blooming gorgeous. grin

I was sitting wondering what the harm would be if cooked properly then I suddenly though doh offal=liver!!
Not sure tbh but I thought the vit A/ liver thing was mainly at beginning of pregnancy? I always say a little bit of everything will do no harm, I'm no expert so really not sure, sorry!

u32ng Fri 25-Jan-13 10:50:24

So I've no idea if haggis is 'allowed' whilst pregnant, but seeing as I'm 39+3 & LOVE haggis a little bit won't do any harm right??

Anyone else planning on eating it tonight or has eaten it in the past whilst pregnant?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now