Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Did you poop on the bed? And a few straightforward practical Qs

(94 Posts)
iamwhaticallpregnant Wed 23-Jan-13 18:01:26

My main fear as a first time at labour person, other than the pain, is doing a poop on the bed?
So can I ask a few practical Qs
1/ Did you do a poo?
2/ If yes, how did the MW react?
3/ If your partner was by your head did he see and was it mortifying?
4/ is there a plastic sheet underneath you? or normal bed sheets?

May sound very very trivial - but these sort of indignities really do get to me...

mcsquared Fri 25-Jan-13 08:28:19

My husband assures me I didn't poo during but I was always of the mindset that I'd rather errr be emptied out during labour than have to face pooing straight after!

The fact I had to ask my husband to check shows how little you notice. I also never thought I'd have conversations with people so casually while my legs were in stirrups and my downstairs was waiting for stitches!

HandMini Fri 25-Jan-13 07:51:55

I'd just like to add that to push the baby out you are told to push "down in your bottom"....pretty much exactly as if doing a poo. If there is poo within, it WILL come out, but that means you're pushing effectively, and a baby will also come out. BE PROUD TO POO DURING LABOUR!!

Also, exactly as others have said you are in a different zone during pushing stage labour...I truly could not tell you whether or not I pooed while birthing DC1, just assumed that I did at some point.

Kafri Fri 25-Jan-13 02:18:36

Hi

I had prepared DH and told him there is a risk ill poo. He was not impressed!

In the end I had a quick labour once I got to 3cm - just 2.5 hours from 3cm to birth. As soon as I felt the urge to push I remember saying frantically to my mw 'I just feel like I need to poo' and was really worried.
She just told me to go with how my body felt. In the end I didn't poo - 20 mins of feeling like I did resulted in ds!

Mw said its not as common as people think and that they (mw) don't bat an eyelid. Also that they just clear it away and more often than not neither mum or dad know its happened!

Honestly, at the time it'll be the least of your worries and if you are embarrassed, just think, sad as it is - you'll probably never see the mw who brings your child into the world again! 24 hours after giving birth your just another birth to that mw.

My advice. It sounds weird but enjoy your labour. It wasnt as hard as I expected it to be. Early labour was long. It took me 32 hours to get to 3cm but then like I said 2.5 hours to get from 3 to birth. I just kept in my mind that after relying on IVF to get pg, it could be the only time I do it. Go in prepared fir it to hurt but that there's an end to it and above all, it's doable. Millions of women do it every year and then go back for more. And more than anything, try not to fret as it approaches. Months if fretting will only make you anxious and the whole thing worse.

Good luck and if you poo, well, you poo! It's fine!x

How do they deal with wiping if they just whip the matt from under you?!
I'm not sure this thread is putting my mind at ease! DH will totally freak!

PirateShit Thu 24-Jan-13 22:27:44

I remember keeping saying that I'd done a poo, and my dh saying no no, you've not, it's just the head, but then one time I said it he just patted me, so I obviously had!! I didn't care though. Honestly, didn't care one jot!! That was with my first. I don't think I pooed with my dd but not entirely sure. The midwives will see it all the time, they just stealthily clean it up and don't comment on it. Bless em.

Nicky1306 Thu 24-Jan-13 22:22:15

I did and for a split second remember being mortified!! blushblushblush I didn't even realise until the mw lifted the pad from under me and replaced it!!! Then the next contraction came along and I forgot all about it exDP never mentioned it. Dreading doing it again in front of my now DP sad

X x

GirlOutNumbered Thu 24-Jan-13 19:50:06

Never pooped due to c sections, but DH has seen my insides.... Literally.

HappyJoyful Thu 24-Jan-13 16:18:29

Yes do be careful into reading too much that it will be long, long drawn out process and trying to learn 'every stage' of it as my friend did and thinking you will experience them all.

Don't be afraid - have every faith that it will be a nice quick labour, you never do know, keep positive. 1st delivery was first contraction to birth in 1hr 10mins I think was what my friend did, as I said, her 2nd was even quicker, possibly under the hour and as I say, it came out whilst she was on all fours in the hospital car park.

belleat40 Thu 24-Jan-13 16:17:36

Didn't poop but did have a complete stranger shave me 'down there' before c-section whilst dh was in the room (disclaimer, dd2 was 7 weeks early and I wasn't prepared). We have never discussed it.
Honestly, your dignity really does go out the window, you won't notice/mind/care!

givemeaclue Thu 24-Jan-13 16:05:11

...the benefits of a section... No pooping.

But you won't care really you won't. And midwives are very discreet.

MamaMary Thu 24-Jan-13 16:04:34

To quote my DH after birthing DD1,

<In tones of sheer awe, not disgust>:

'The stuff that came out of you!'

I did bleed a fair bit with DD1 because of episiotomy, but yes I believe poo was involved grin

iamwhaticallpregnant Thu 24-Jan-13 15:58:43

Ooh - i like that story HappyJoyful - as it will be my first time. A nice quick labour.
Embarrassing secret - sometimes when i am on the toilet i do worry if i strain too much (whilst having BHs) the baby might pop out. But I am afraid it is probably not that easy.

HappyJoyful Thu 24-Jan-13 14:48:38

what a great description, that's it - my midwife was so a poo ninja!

friend nearly gave birth in the bath/toilet thinking she had hours and hours (1st baby) to go and that it was just a poo she needed to do - when infact the pushing was the baby coming. Incidentally 2nd time, gave birth in the hospital car park.. though this time she did know it wasn't a poo coming.

iamwhaticallpregnant Thu 24-Jan-13 13:37:36

poo ninjas is brilliant!

OhThisIsJustGrape Thu 24-Jan-13 13:23:33

Just to add - you honestly won't care if you do poo. Really, really, really won't care grin

TwitchyTail Thu 24-Jan-13 13:23:16

Poo ninjas grin

OhThisIsJustGrape Thu 24-Jan-13 13:22:20

No idea if I pooed with DC1, had an epidural and pushed for nearly 3hrs so strongly suspect I might have done.

DC2, was totally unprepared for what it felt like to be close to delivery (due to epidural previous time) so was shouting to anyone who'd listen that I needed a poo. MW said it was just baby coming, she was born shortly afterwards so I don't know if I pooed. DH found it hilarious and told everyone afterwards that I didn't know the difference between a poo and a baby stupid man

DC3 was a home birth, I think I pooed as just as baby was crowning I felt MW wipe my arse. I had bad piles so I don't know whether she was wiping poo off me or pushing my piles in shock Unsurprisingly I didn't dare ask!

DC4, was having a lovely labour - yes, really, minimal pain, nice and quick, and had got myself as comfortable as possible leaning against the back of the bed on my knees. So, I was upright. MW declared that I was ready to push but my 'rectum was full of poo' (no surprise there, piles were back with avengence and had been constipated) and said if I delivered like that I would poo on the baby shock She made me turn round and deliver almost lying down on the bed. I was so upset, I was uncomfortable and knew it was a rubbish position to deliver in and I pushed for 50 mins to deliver DS. I know he would've been out so much easier had I remained where I'd been but I didn't want to poo on him hmm I still don't know if I pooed, and I wish I'd been strong enough to tell her I was staying upright.

NAR4 Thu 24-Jan-13 13:17:54

I have had four Dcs and only knew I had done a poo with one of them. Dh said I did with three of them (when I asked), but he said the midwifes are like poo ninjas and get rid of it super quick without any reaction at all. He had never mentioned it before I asked and didn't feel it was a big deal. He was much more impressed by me managing to push a baby out.

I am a youth worker and now 37 wks pregnant with number 5. About a month ago one of the senior members was saying how she wanted to train to be a midwife and then loudly announced that all women poo themselves during labour. This started a massive discussion with the focus being all the young people wanting to know if I had pooed myself during my labours. blush Not really a discussion I wanted and much worse than when it actually happened.

Honestly you probably won't realise and if you do won't care because it happens as the baby comes out/is about to come out, so you are rather distracted.

SeeYouSoon Thu 24-Jan-13 12:40:58

1/ Did you do a poo?
yes
2/ If yes, how did the MW react?
I can't remember!
3/ If your partner was by your head did he see and was it mortifying?
he saw it, he wiped my bum. No it wasn't mortifying, it just happened. He does like to remind me of it now though, the git grin
4/ is there a plastic sheet underneath you? or normal bed sheets
they put absorbent throw away pad things down.

FromHereToNextTuesday Thu 24-Jan-13 12:11:12

I suspect most people do, and the ones who believe they didn't had a very discreet midwife!

Ok, possibly a bit grim for anyone who's operation squeamish, but here's my poo story!

I had a super quick labour and I kept saying to the midwife that I needed the loo, but she wouldn't let me go because 'We don't want a baby in the toilet'. I was trying to explain that I didn't feel like I needed to push, but she didn't believe me and just said 'Wanting to go to the loo IS feeling like you want to push'.
I had a twin pregnancy so they whisked me into theatre just before the pushing bit was due to happen (still no urge mind you), and then it all got a bit complicated and they popped me under GA to do an EMCS. Apparently when they made the cut <grim bit coming up> my bladder popped right up because I was so desperate for a wee. Why I couldn't have just said "Actually I need a wee, not a poo" I have no idea! Some misplaced notion of retaining dignity, despite, as with rednellie having around two dozen people in theatre staring at my nether regions! I am also weirdly proud of my pelvic floor to be able to not wee myself despite being 10cms dilated with twins!

ShowOfHands Wed 23-Jan-13 23:09:04

I am a prude. I do not fart in front of my dh of 14yrs. I hate being looked at. The idea of pooing in labour terrified me. I was unhealthily worried about it. People said I wouldn't care. I scoffed. They didn't know me. There was bog all way I would leave my dignity anywhere.

I had a bluelight transfer to hospital after 6hrs of pushing. I was attempting a homebirth. I distinctly recall trudging, naked, bleeding and contracting over the neighbour's lupins, heading for the waiting ambulance. The midwife chased me screeching "please, at least put on some knickers". I didn't give a flying monkey's left testicle if the pope, the cast of Starlight Express and Damian Lewis himself saw my fanny. I was Busy.

I am a prude again now. I am buttoned up and uptight. But in labour? Well, I just didn't have room to worry. Everything contracted down to the birth and getting dd out safely.

I didn't poo with either btw but ended up with an emcs both times.

Meringue33 Wed 23-Jan-13 22:44:45

I posted the same question a couple of months ago, gave birth two weeks ago! As it happens I didn't poo myself as with the onset of labour had to run to toilet several times so by the time we got to hospital I was totally empty. It is totally true though what everyone says you will really, really not care at that point. When pains ramped up I felt so overheated I ripped off all clothes and was on all fours on the hospital floor (had not been admitted to delivery suite or pool). I could see that waters or wee or whatever were leaking out of me, every contraction felt like the bottom half of my body was being wrung out like a dishcloth. But I really didn't care, just wanted baby to come and some relief from the pain and heat! Hopefully when it comes to it your DP will have some compassion dammit it is a lot to go through to birth his child! Good luck smile X

Springforward Wed 23-Jan-13 22:05:57

I don't think I did, but if I had I suspect I wouldn't have cared right then. DH stayed at head end throughout so probably wouldn't have seen if I had? I never did quite get brave enough to ask him though....

LMichelleA7X Wed 23-Jan-13 22:02:43

So glad someone made a post about this!

This is something i'm completely terrified of doing, sounds silly i know!

My sister, god bless her, whilst having her stitches, pissed all over the poor bloke doing it. She didn't realise because she was completely numb.

I thought that sometimes leading into your labour, your body does empty yourself so your ready? Is that not always true then?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now