Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Did you poop on the bed? And a few straightforward practical Qs

(94 Posts)
iamwhaticallpregnant Wed 23-Jan-13 18:01:26

My main fear as a first time at labour person, other than the pain, is doing a poop on the bed?
So can I ask a few practical Qs
1/ Did you do a poo?
2/ If yes, how did the MW react?
3/ If your partner was by your head did he see and was it mortifying?
4/ is there a plastic sheet underneath you? or normal bed sheets?

May sound very very trivial - but these sort of indignities really do get to me...

No, I didn't. Either time.

I asked DH in the end, because, as mortified as I would have been, I couldn't stand the not knowing.

iamwhaticallpregnant Wed 23-Jan-13 20:02:08

Good for you Auntpepita - unfortunately, my partner is a child.

AuntPepita Wed 23-Jan-13 20:04:42

Sorry iamwhat that came out a bit more terse than it sounded in my head!

iamwhaticallpregnant Wed 23-Jan-13 20:10:42

ha ha - that's ok! He really is a child - but incredibly lovely in every other way. and very supportive - but is overly thrilled at the idea of me doing a poop.

I did and dp has joked about it since. shock He said he saw the midwife look and thought it was the baby so he had a look and saw poo gringringrin haha. I really didn't care. I knew I had pooed but I was so into my labour that I was just thinking 'get the baby out'

Doraemon Wed 23-Jan-13 20:14:57

Don't remember pooing with either of mine, but with very little pelvic floor control remaining at 33 weeks pregnant and DC3 head down on my bladder this evening I really shouldn't read threads like this that make me laugh blush

Yes I'm worried about the pop, I know it's normal and natural but honestly how can your partner ever look at you the same again once they've seen you shit yourself!

iamwhaticallpregnant Wed 23-Jan-13 20:28:56

EXACTLY purple - i just think how will we get the romance back?!

rednellie Wed 23-Jan-13 20:29:20

Because they've also seen you have their baby purple. The poo pales into insignificance.

Cheffie100 Wed 23-Jan-13 20:36:45

Thanks all - this has made by bad day a whole lot better

TheSecretCervixDNCOP Wed 23-Jan-13 20:37:47

1/ Did you do a poo? Yes, teeniest poo ever.
2/ If yes, how did the MW react? I asked DP as he has more recollection of DD's birth than I do - Gas and Air- she just got rid of it no real mention
3/ If your partner was by your head did he see and was it mortifying? I was quite away with the fairies and just said oh dear, did I poo? I'm sorry!!! DP did not care grin
was there a plastic sheet underneath you? or normal bed sheets?
Normal sheet on top of the bedsheets if that makes sense, which was removed and replaced when I pooped on it.

It happens to pretty much everyone, it can't be helped, and all the messy labour stuff will be forgotten as soon as baby is in your arms.

P.S romance not dead considering what poor dp was subjected to! Am pregnant with DC2 as well!

Flisspaps Wed 23-Jan-13 20:39:04

Exactly rednellie - the poo means nothing when they're presented with an actual person that's come out of your body!

DH is a big fan of rude jokes. We don't even wee in front of each other at home. But my shitting over half of Shropshire is not discussed.

DimLight Wed 23-Jan-13 20:48:48

I didn't poo with DD, but with DS I did a wee with every contraction for about 2 hours. I was high up on a bed on all fours in just a bra & Santa socks, my waters went with a bang & were brown & stinking, then I did a poo... The room stank! But the MW was so nice & I was only embarrassed when I saw her at the bus stop a few weeks later! But really, you just don't care... Good luck!

PukeCatcher Wed 23-Jan-13 20:49:31

Pooing was my biggest fear too! I had no birth plan, wasn't bothered about the pain, but I was shitting myself about, well shitting myself. DH was instructed to keep away from the sharp end

I spent a good 20 minutes in the loo because I was desperate for a poo, so I thought, but every time I sat down it felt like the baby was coming it was so I was stuck in a sit down stand up cycle of hell.

Eventually, I waddled out shouting "press the button!!" to my DH, and when they examined me sure enough it was time to push.

I was trying to push whilst trying not to poo, completely wrong, kept being shouted at for not pushing properly. They threatened me with bringing the doctor in and told me that baby was in distress.

They brought straps for my legs, which I did not like the look of so I pushed reeeealy hard and out came baby and poo I expect

Don't worry about it, honest, you need to push like you're doing a massive poo, tis the only way!

FrostyScherenschnitte Wed 23-Jan-13 20:54:31

Just don't eat anything with sweet corn in it from about a month before you're due; your DH will still find it funny eight years later to make a jokey comment every time you have corn on the cob or tuna pasta bake... wink

iamwhaticallpregnant Wed 23-Jan-13 21:00:12

and to think when i started this thread i was worried id get shouted at for being so silly and not get any responses!

chubbychipmonk Wed 23-Jan-13 21:00:42

Imagine sitting on the toilet & feeling like you need the biggest poo in the world. . . .

Now imagine pushing out that biggest poo in the world . . .

It's EXACTLY the same feeling when you're pushing out your baby, you won't give a flying fuck what your pushing out, I could've been pushing out my bowel for all I cared. . . All I knew was that I just needed to push push push push PUSSSHHHH . . . Oops, there goes a poo! grin

rednellie Wed 23-Jan-13 21:11:07

But it's like Puke said - by worrying about not pooing she was inhibiting the actual baby coming out.

It's weird. We don't poo in front of each other normally. But we don't give birth, scream, grunt or discharged massive amounts of bodily fluid in front of each other either.

With birth, you have to let go a little bit, just to let it happen.

Seriously, iam, despite all the teasing, you'll be grand. The fact your DH has a sense of humour about it is a good thing. I just knew nothing I could do in labour would shock DH. He might take the piss later, but he was (and still is) 100% behind me.

sillymillyb Wed 23-Jan-13 21:37:25

Honestly, dignity really does go out the window - you won't give a toss. I was wheeled past a load of builders and work men on way to delivery, on all 4's with my bum in the air. The mw kept trying to pull the sheet over me, and I kept pulling it off as I couldn't bear being covered up!

As for poo, I needed stirrups and forceps in the end, and the doctor said, "oh dear, the baby has pooed on my shoes" but, in retrospect, I'm certain it was me.... Oh well!

LMichelleA7X Wed 23-Jan-13 22:02:43

So glad someone made a post about this!

This is something i'm completely terrified of doing, sounds silly i know!

My sister, god bless her, whilst having her stitches, pissed all over the poor bloke doing it. She didn't realise because she was completely numb.

I thought that sometimes leading into your labour, your body does empty yourself so your ready? Is that not always true then?

Springforward Wed 23-Jan-13 22:05:57

I don't think I did, but if I had I suspect I wouldn't have cared right then. DH stayed at head end throughout so probably wouldn't have seen if I had? I never did quite get brave enough to ask him though....

Meringue33 Wed 23-Jan-13 22:44:45

I posted the same question a couple of months ago, gave birth two weeks ago! As it happens I didn't poo myself as with the onset of labour had to run to toilet several times so by the time we got to hospital I was totally empty. It is totally true though what everyone says you will really, really not care at that point. When pains ramped up I felt so overheated I ripped off all clothes and was on all fours on the hospital floor (had not been admitted to delivery suite or pool). I could see that waters or wee or whatever were leaking out of me, every contraction felt like the bottom half of my body was being wrung out like a dishcloth. But I really didn't care, just wanted baby to come and some relief from the pain and heat! Hopefully when it comes to it your DP will have some compassion dammit it is a lot to go through to birth his child! Good luck smile X

ShowOfHands Wed 23-Jan-13 23:09:04

I am a prude. I do not fart in front of my dh of 14yrs. I hate being looked at. The idea of pooing in labour terrified me. I was unhealthily worried about it. People said I wouldn't care. I scoffed. They didn't know me. There was bog all way I would leave my dignity anywhere.

I had a bluelight transfer to hospital after 6hrs of pushing. I was attempting a homebirth. I distinctly recall trudging, naked, bleeding and contracting over the neighbour's lupins, heading for the waiting ambulance. The midwife chased me screeching "please, at least put on some knickers". I didn't give a flying monkey's left testicle if the pope, the cast of Starlight Express and Damian Lewis himself saw my fanny. I was Busy.

I am a prude again now. I am buttoned up and uptight. But in labour? Well, I just didn't have room to worry. Everything contracted down to the birth and getting dd out safely.

I didn't poo with either btw but ended up with an emcs both times.

Ok, possibly a bit grim for anyone who's operation squeamish, but here's my poo story!

I had a super quick labour and I kept saying to the midwife that I needed the loo, but she wouldn't let me go because 'We don't want a baby in the toilet'. I was trying to explain that I didn't feel like I needed to push, but she didn't believe me and just said 'Wanting to go to the loo IS feeling like you want to push'.
I had a twin pregnancy so they whisked me into theatre just before the pushing bit was due to happen (still no urge mind you), and then it all got a bit complicated and they popped me under GA to do an EMCS. Apparently when they made the cut <grim bit coming up> my bladder popped right up because I was so desperate for a wee. Why I couldn't have just said "Actually I need a wee, not a poo" I have no idea! Some misplaced notion of retaining dignity, despite, as with rednellie having around two dozen people in theatre staring at my nether regions! I am also weirdly proud of my pelvic floor to be able to not wee myself despite being 10cms dilated with twins!

FromHereToNextTuesday Thu 24-Jan-13 12:11:12

I suspect most people do, and the ones who believe they didn't had a very discreet midwife!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now