Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Lunatic cat comment and other weird remarks

(27 Posts)
BonaDea Mon 21-Jan-13 17:55:17

I'm 29+ 5. A good work friend came round last night for dinner. She hasn't been to my house before, so was giving her a bit of a tour and she spotted our two cats (who were curled up cutely together fast asleep). I know she doesn't really like cats that much and didn't really say anything never mind go to pet them (which is what I would have done!), which is fine by me. I know some people are weird with cats.

When we went back downstairs to eat she asked me "So, what will you do with the cats when the baby comes? Will you be able to give them away, or...?" I was completely shocked. Did this woman really think we're just going to get rid of our two, harmless pets because we have a baby on the way? Lots of people have pets and babies, no?

I guess this thread really belongs in AIBU, but wondered whether others had similar weird comments from people that just seemed, well, crazy!

NAR4 Tue 22-Jan-13 17:54:18

My cat did like to collect the tiny soft baby toys people tend to buy for the pram. He would pop a paw into the pram when baby was not in it and whisk one out quick, to take it to bed with him. He was never interested in the baby and stayed as far away as possible.

Now my youngest is a toddler he will sometimes claw at our bedroom door in the night if our toddler cries. Quite sweet, but I think it is probably more for us to let him in and escape from the noise, than alert us to her crying.

My mother bought a cat net for our pram as she was convinced the cat would try and suffocate the baby. I think it is a generation thing.

BonaDea Tue 22-Jan-13 18:00:10

Thanks all! Glad it isn't just me...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now