Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

9w+5d pregnant - work and snow

(50 Posts)
LoveYouForeverMyBaby Fri 18-Jan-13 13:26:11

work do not officially know I'm pregnant although I have overheard two directors gossiping about the fact I am, so unofficially they know.

I have a 14 month old I need to pick up from my MIL and worried about getting there and back home (it's a tube rifde away from home) from work all in the snow when I'm pregannt, plus with a pram.

I really need to leave now and have asked if I could leave earlier but they've just said to keep an eye on the weather. I have and it's getting heavier.

what shall I do? I'm petrified I'm going to slip and miscarry. I';m actually in tears at the moment.

shall I bite the bullet and tell work I'm pregannt (they've sent a 14 week pregnant woman home who also has to pick her her child) and hope they send me early? I was hoping to keep it a secret until the first scan as it's a very gossipy environment.

BB01 Tue 22-Jan-13 10:25:20

And yes plenty of you have been out in the snow and been fine but plenty of people have been out in the snow and done major injury to themselves. Not saying we should never leave the house in case we fall etc but there's risk and there's mitigated risk and snow - yes even fresh snow - can be slippy and v hard to walk/drive in. And FWIW people die from snow related injuries in Sweden and Canada, too.

BB01 Tue 22-Jan-13 10:23:31

I don't think there's anything wrong with people pointing out statistics etc but do not agree OP is overeacting, and if she is, then she's in good company! I am completely paranoid about slipping as it is and even more so now am PG (esp as know if I slip I have to trek even further in snow to go and get anti-d injection). There may be other reasons why it worries her so much like the previous MC so please don't be so quick to jump down people's throats even if you can't see where they're coming from. Some people also have a genuine phobia of falling. I hope I never have to work with the people who think this is why employers are reluctant to employ women. PG can be a bloody ballache, taxing on our bodies (even in first trimester) and mess with our sense of balance etc not to mention make us more likely to injure ourselves. I do second the shoe grip advice as they have made me a lot more confident, but even now I'm still on the verge of tears when it's really slippy.

MrsMarcus Mon 21-Jan-13 15:20:50

I’m reading most posters’ responses as more symphatetic than that. I don’t think it is "bitchy" to point out that falling over at 9 weeks pregnant is unlikely to cause miscarriage or that plenty of pregnant women go out in the snow, here and in other countries. If the OP is in tears about having to go out in the snow then perhaps some reassurance (whether based on personal experience or medical information) that walking in the snow/ice is ok as long as you’re careful, and even if you do fall over you’re going to be ok, is needed.

I fell over badly walking down a slope when I was 9 months pregnant with DC (broke my ankle). It happened in June so there was no snow involved, I just couldn’t see where I was stepping as my bump was so big! My doctor friends assured me it was absolutely fine as the baby is so well protected in the womb, even in later pregnancy (and even more so early on). And it was, though the broken ankle was a pain, giving birth...

Good luck, OP, try not to worry too much, go out and enjoy the snow with your bump and DC.

SaggyOldPregnantCatpuss Mon 21-Jan-13 13:56:56

What a foul thread! Such a total lack of sympathy! Presumably, if you arent able to relate to the worries of a pregnant person, then the pregnancy forum should be avoided? hmm Just because something is unlikely to happen doesnt mean that we cant worry about it!
OP as someone else suggested, get some shoe grippers. I have some for work and they are fantastic! and while we are at it, there are one or two posters who could do with a grip

toobreathless Mon 21-Jan-13 13:35:40

OP what do you do as a job? I think if it's something where you going home early is not going to cause huge problems then go for it. It's not worth the worry to you.

And I say that at 29 weeks + and being sent out on home visits to see patients. But they are ill & the risk to them of note being seen is higher than the risks of me slipping on the ice. It's entirely different if you're say in an office say.

kitsilano Mon 21-Jan-13 13:00:58

OP - luckily falling in the first trimester is VERY unlikely to cause a miscarriage so although it is natural for you to be generally anxious having had a miscarriage in the past, this should provide some reassurance.

miscarriage.about.com/od/onetimemiscarriages/f/fallingpregnanc.htm

I actually fell down a whole flight of stairs and broke my arm when 16 weeks pregnant, DD2 was fine.

Petcat Mon 21-Jan-13 12:51:55

Wow, some people on this thread are being so mean! It's really unfair to imply someone is being irrational for wanting to protect their unborn baby.

It's still really snowy and icy where I live so I am working from home today. My manager and all my colleagues are perfectly understanding about this. I'm much clumsier than normal and I have PGP so I dread to think what damage I could do if I slipped over. The risk of miscarrying might be small but it is real, especially after the first trimester.

IMO if you can avoid the risk of hurting yourself or your baby then why not do so?

OP I told my manager about my pregnancy far earlier than I would have liked due to safety risks in my role. I'm very glad I did, as I had a difficult first trimester and needed time off. If the weather's still bad down your way might it be worth confiding in a manager you trust?

ExpatAl Mon 21-Jan-13 11:39:29

The OP knew she would have to walk in the snow and was planning to do it although the thought of doing it worried her. She just wanted to leave earlier to do it because she also had to pick up her dc.
What she wanted to know is whether she should tell her bosses that she's pregnant so they would let her leave early.

PatsyPear Mon 21-Jan-13 11:25:29

ExpatAl, I have suffered 4 miscarriages so do have some experience of them, hormones and all, so understand the worry. My point was that if you take appropriate precautions IN MY OPINION there is no issue in going outside, therefore no need to worry. In fact, it may be good to go outside and get some exercise and fresh air. When I was pregnant with DC (after 2 miscarriages) in 2010 (remember that snow?) I also walked around in the snow and ice.

For what it's worth, I am reliably informed by my work colleague (Swedish) that pregnant ladies there go out in the snow and ice.

pumpkin3 Mon 21-Jan-13 11:17:56

No one is saying that pregnant women shouldnt go out at all......just having the ability to make other arrangements....e.g leaving early to allow extra time to walk slower, to work from home if possible......why shouldnt we be able to take every precaution possible? The amount of times ive been on a train where i have literally been afraid of being squashed (they are that packed!!) - the trains are even busier in this weather due to reduced services. There was one night a few years ago when i didnt get home until 11pm despite leaving the office at 5pm. (thankfully i wasnt pregnant at the time) - i cant imagine how that would feel at 31 weeks pregnant!

At my last work place my husband drove me in and walked me to the door just to make sure i had someone helping me balance. As i now work further away from home making such arrangements is much harder.

As for if i was living in Canada or Scandinavia.......i would assume they are much better at preparing and manging roads in this weather....whilst our main roads may be clear all back raods are/will become an ice rink.....where possible i would avoid going out (asking friends/relatives to help with pick ups of DS) or make sure i am not travelling alone.

ExpatAl Mon 21-Jan-13 11:06:38

Good for you Patsy. I wouldn't dream of doing that as I lost a baby at nearly 26 weeks. I'm stunned at the attitude on this thread that everybody's pregnancies are the same.
The Canadians drive everywhere. No idea what Scandinavians do, but if a woman over there had suffered a miscarriage before I expect she'd be very cautious too. The OP was stressed and hormonal and posted when in a flap.

DejaB00 Mon 21-Jan-13 11:01:17

Again, the miscarriage thing is irrelevant too, I previously had a mmc at 11 weeks and was heartbroken (see I do have a heart), but I am not worried about walking in the snow at all at 5 weeks pg now. I've just been making a snowman with DS, carrying big balls of snow around the garden, nothing wrong with it whatsoever!
I understand that past 30 weeks balancing can be difficult and i would perhaps not have been so harsh had the OP been that far along, however she is 9-10 weeks.

PatsyPear Mon 21-Jan-13 10:55:51

OP, I’m afraid IMHO you’re overreacting.

I’m currently 7 months pregnant and on Friday and today have been walking in the snow (and ice!) to and from work and nursery (2 miles each way) with my DC (3.5) as the roads have been too slippy to drive safely (we have a rubbish small car). It’s good exercise in the fresh air and good fun for my DC, making snowballs on the way. I take a sledge and pull our stuff (and DC some of the way) in it.

As long as you take your time and wear appropriate clothing and footwear I really don’t see the issue at all. What do you think pregnant women in cold countries (Canada, Scandinavia etc) do when they have snow for months every winter? Not go out at all?

birdofthenorth Mon 21-Jan-13 10:55:18

Wow, what mean posters. I've had two miscarriages and am now 28 weeks and frankly would still put the safety of my baby above all other considerations.

OP, I would tell employers you feel unwell and are worried about a later snowier commute when feeling unwell. Tell them about your pregnancy later whenever you had planned to do so. I wish you all the very best in continuing a healthy pregnancy.

pumpkin3 Mon 21-Jan-13 10:23:03

LoveYouForeverMyBaby - i completely understand your concerns and worries, and i cannot believe how unsympathetic people can be.

Having been through the trauma and heartbrake that comes with a miscarriage, I understad how you never want to experience that again and would want to do anything to prevent it.

I wonder if these heartless people think its unreasonable or overdramatic of me at 31 weeks pregnant to not go into work today (i am working from home which is something my manager despises - but i made it clear to her that i did not want to take the risk of travelling in, and would only do so if she insisted on it)? If i was to fall over, could you imagine if i was to fall on my front and was unable to break my fall with my arms? Or even what that impact on my pregnant body would be? After all my pregnant body is much more prone to injury due to looser ligaments and less stable joints!

The shift in a pregnant woman's center of gravity can result in a loss of balance, too, which makes falls more likely. In addition to causing harm to the mother, a serious fall could be risky for the baby, possibly leading to preterm labor or premature separation of the placenta. (babycentre.com)

sundaesundae Mon 21-Jan-13 08:34:38

I have chosen to cancel a trip to London today due to my road being 4inches deep in snow and the main roads being very icy, I'm 31weeks, and it was a very hard decision. I am more concerned about car accidents than anything else at this point or breaking a limb so close to labouring!

DejaB00 Mon 21-Jan-13 08:22:01

branching I am pg and I am worried, but certainly not about walking in the snow. It's irrelevant!

The op expressed a worry that if she slipped she would miscarry. Posters have informed her that isn't the case. I see no problem with this thread. Being pregnant doesn't exempt you from hearing that you aren't reacting sensibly.

BranchingOut Mon 21-Jan-13 07:00:38

No one remembers ever being worried in pregnancy then? Jeez.

I agree that the main risk is probably sprains and strains due to the increased relaxin rather than mc, but should the OP not ask the question?

Hope you got home ok OP.

LovesBeingWokenEveryNight Mon 21-Jan-13 06:28:57

The is a similar thread elsewhere which was started by a colleague of a pg lady who is refusing to walk in the snow, possibly influencing people's reactions?

Op I understand why you are nervous, the risk is minimal but you don't want to take any do you?

LoveYouForeverMyBaby Mon 21-Jan-13 06:07:55

Thank you vomitting and expat I agree a very strange bitchy thread indeed. All I wanted was to leave work slightly earlier so I could be alot more careful when I walked back in the snow and ice. I am actually shocked at how bitchy and unsympathetic many people have been on this thread. The consensus being "i've walked x miles in the snow when I was overdue you're being unreasonable to be nervous and cautious" which lets face thats what I am regarding snow/ice during pregnancy - nervous and cautious - is in my opinion is pretty horrendously nasty.

ExpatAl Sun 20-Jan-13 20:57:20

This is a strange bitchy thread. My colleagues's ds slipped on ice in first trimester. She bled for a couple of weeks afterwards and was terrified.

VomitingVeronica Sun 20-Jan-13 20:16:45

You lot clearly are in a bad mood! Have some heart. There is nothing wrong with being careful and cautious right from the beginning of pregnancy. The OP hasn't had her dating scan yet so her dates may change and if she is pregnant with multiples then her uterus may have already started to rise, just because the statistics say it is unlikely doesn't mean it isn't a risk. And even if the statistics say that miscarriage isn't a risk in the first trimester, the OP's body may still be compromised by a fall. The relaxin running around your in the first trimester means that the OP herself could still end up with injuries from a fall greater than if she weren't pregnant - not fun when you have another one at home demanding you play and carry them around. If the OP felt anything like I did early on then she may already feel dizzy and weak then falling over in the snow/ice may be more likely.

OP, its a bit late but I would have asked to go and get your lo and offered to make up time at home or over the next week and not mentioned your pregnancy unless you had to.

DejaB00 Sun 20-Jan-13 16:23:54

OP, another unsympathetic one here. During my last pregnancy I had to walk a mile in the snow to see the midwife because it wasn't driveable. I was 28 weeks pg. Baby and I survived to tell the tale.
And for the record I have previously miscarried, and am now 5 weeks pg. I don't feel I should be treated differently to any of my colleagues because of the weather.

Notmyidea Sat 19-Jan-13 17:31:50

op, I'm at the end of the second trimester, know my balance is "off" and am petrified of falling in the snow, too. Tell your manager!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now