Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How much weight did you put on in your first trimester?

(38 Posts)
AlmondFrangipani Wed 02-Jan-13 18:11:11

This is my 2nd pg (first one ended early in mc) and I am 9 weeks. I feel the size of a house! I have put on 7lb already and almost gone up 2 dress sizes. I am sure Christmas hasnt helped but I am scared at how fast the weight has gone on! Anyone else?

mumagain38 Fri 04-Jan-13 19:13:51

Dont worry about, could be water, constpation, ur body layering up! Leggings and loose over sized jumpers have saved me this xmas, im 23 weeks. I read some where that ur only supposed to consume 300 extra calories and that was later on! Jesus ive had that before i get out of bed!lol enoy your self and pregnancy, try steer the prossesed crap , which is easier said than done--im eagerly awaiting a take away from my DP for tea ! xxx

AlmondFrangipani Fri 04-Jan-13 19:01:26

Thanks for all the replies! I managed to walk to work and back today (35 mins both ways) so fx I can keep that up! Mellow I'm hoping I'm like you and a lot of this is water wink! Had to buy some bigger jeans today!

Thumbwitch Fri 04-Jan-13 00:24:09

My first pg was in Surrey, 5y ago, Cointreau. Maybe it was either a hospital decision, or your MWs didn't think you needed it. Whichever, I was weighed every time I went to an appt at the ANC (not at the GP surgery though)

Micha54178 Thu 03-Jan-13 20:57:16

I started pg1 at size 6, gained a stone in first trimester - craved cream eggs
Pg2 started at size 10 - gained a stone in first trimester - craved fruit salad
Ph3 started at size 12 - gained a stone in first trimester - craved curry, hotter the better.
Now working on getting back to size 10.... Or 12.

mrsmellow Thu 03-Jan-13 20:53:30

I'm 12 weeks and have gained 3kg. My BMI was 21 and is now 23. I had gained 4kg, but in the last 2 weeks the bloating has improved and I've lost a kg (in water?!!! hmm shock )
Like others I did plenty of exercise and ate really healthily, but I've had nausea but no vomiting -hence eating and dropping exercise-that has improved slightly in the last few days so have stopped troughing and started exercise too! Hoping to slow the weight gain down now, but really, it took so long to get pregnant, my priority is more to get to term and have a healthy baby - I'll worry about the weight next year! smile

HavingALittleFaithBaby Thu 03-Jan-13 20:49:10

I was weighed at my first scan and at booking in appointments, mostly to see if I needed a GTT (I did) but they said they don't do any more weigh ins after those.

CointreauVersial Thu 03-Jan-13 20:36:59

I was never weighed once, during three pregnancies.

That was the policy here in Surrey, anyway, maybe other health authorities do it differently.

Thumbwitch Thu 03-Jan-13 18:50:32

I was always weighed during my antenatal checks. confused

CointreauVersial Thu 03-Jan-13 18:38:36

Now you know why they don't routinely weigh pg women during antenatal checks! There really is no wrong or right.

HazleNutt Thu 03-Jan-13 15:16:41

rreow you don't need a big bump to wear maternity clothes - maternity trousers are certainly more comfortable even at that stage than too tight waistbands or walking around with buttons open. I have several pairs of trousers and jeans already.

Lost about 4kgs. Had horrendous morning sickness. Was very pleased that I only put in 17kgs during my whole (twin) pregnancy.

Best part was that I lost 2.5 stone in 4 weeks after I had the giant babies.

rrreow Thu 03-Jan-13 13:34:52

I had put on about 2kg by that time, but I think most of it was water retention. As I couldn't do up the buttons of my trousers, but then a few weeks later I could do them up again. Now at 16w I'm still at 2kg more than my pre-pregnancy weight (can't do the buttons up anymore though, unfortunately, but still not a big enough bump for maternity clothes).

bbface Thu 03-Jan-13 10:07:58

You are likely to really lose your appetite as pregnancy progresses. In first tri, I was an animal. Now, I eat a fair bit, but molten have to really force myself, esp in the evenings, when all I really want is breadsticks and cream cheese!

bbface Thu 03-Jan-13 09:53:58

Relax. I was very underweight before pregnancy. Put on 9 pounds in first tri as needed to eat to feel ok. Then weight gain slowed down. Gained 25 in total.

This time, excitably the same gain in first tri. Now at 32 weeks I have out on 18 pounds.

Last baby was almost a nine pounder.

MulledWineAndScully Thu 03-Jan-13 09:47:23

None but I was already too heavy for my liking before I got pg. I think giving up drink had a massive effect on my weight tbh, and I probably eat better now I'm pregnant too although it's not really consciously. I actually lost a couple of pounds over Xmas but I'm not sure how.

weeblueberry Thu 03-Jan-13 09:43:11

I put on about 5lbs. I'd been on WW beforehand and think I shocked my body by starting to eat more lol. I'm 22 weeks now though and have gained 16lbs altogether. Damned Christmas chocolate...

stowsettler Thu 03-Jan-13 09:32:13

I put on about a stone too. Savagely hungry, I could've eaten all day, every day. Since then I've put on about another 1.5 stone and am heading for a total 3st gain. Hey ho. My sister put on 5!!!

wanderingalbatross Thu 03-Jan-13 09:24:43

You sound a bit like me - slim size 8 and a need to eat loads of carbs in the first trimester to stave off the nausea. I put on lots in my first trimester, but not as much in the second and third. In my first pregnancy, I gained about 15kg overall, but only about 3kg of that in the final trimester.

I know it feels like you're gaining loads of weight, but bear in mind that most of it isn't fat, even if it feels that way now! And you won't gain at the same rate for your whole pregnancy, the first trimester is particularly tough.

Bunnychan Thu 03-Jan-13 08:42:07

I'm confused to by my weight loss/gain so I've decided not to worry. It went something like this- weeks 10-12 stayed the same, week 13-15 lost 4lbs then 16-18 gained 5lbs. God only knows what my body is doing, going to weigh again today just out of curiosity but I'm not going to get hung up on it. My body knows better than I do lol x

ChristmasKnackers Thu 03-Jan-13 06:49:32

I put on.lads of weight, I was starving! Put n 3 stone in total at end of preg. Everyone is different.

Thumbwitch Thu 03-Jan-13 06:43:50

Lost 2kg (4.4lb) in the first trimester this time; last time I didn't lose or gain anything, but I had more nausea this time around so ate less.

Altogether put on 11kg in first pg, most of it in 3rd trimester (textbook, apparently); and this time I put on 13kg, a lot of it excess fluid (had polyhydramnios).

MisselthwaiteManor Thu 03-Jan-13 06:40:46

I put on about 5lbs, I was expecting more because I was eating ALL DAY, carbs and carbs and more carbs to keep the sickness at bay. I'm almost 14 weeks and haven't gained any more the past couple of weeks (even over Xmas!) so I think perhaps it's slowing down for a bit, hopefully. Everyone's different, everyone starts at a different weight so there's really no point making comparisons.

NanoNinja Thu 03-Jan-13 06:35:59

I was exactly the same as you, op. put on about 6 kg in 1st trimester, and only about 13 kilos altogether. Was capable if doing two things during the first 20 weeks or so - sleeping and eating white carb. Felt permanently nauseous, but no puking. I used to swim loads, but the thought actually made me feel more sick. Back to normal after 20 weeks though.

Cheffie100 Thu 03-Jan-13 04:34:03

Put on about 4lbs in first trimester. Been away since week 12 and now week 15 so not sure since then. Determined to go slowly and steadily and not put too much more than 2-2.5stone. Fingers crossed

beckie90 Wed 02-Jan-13 23:40:59

nothings "abnormal" in pregnancy, in weight questions you will get both replys, some pregnancys loose some people gain, both are Normal. And if people do loose unitentionaly its not always a dangerous thing, ds2 was 9ib and perfectly healthy and no I wasn't overweight i had a bmi of 19. Ds1 I piled on over 4stone and he was born 6ib8. Each pregnancy is different. I don't think any person would want to loose weight in pregnancy, but it does happen due to illness. This is my 3rd I'm 9wks and havnt been weighed but I'm definatly rather puffy lol x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now