Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Am I being over-anxious? Would you fret? What would you/should I do?

(25 Posts)
mindalina Wed 12-Dec-12 08:32:02

Apols for this being rushed and possibly garbled, I'm trying to get ready for work and all that jazz at the same time, but wanted to canvass opinions. Am 29w - 30 on Sat. Baby normally has at least two or three periods of manic activity every day, and I do mean manic, it's a real wriggler this one. Yesterday after work I realised I hadn't felt much movement but tried not to panic, figured it'd wake up for dinner like it normally does, and at dinner had a bit of shift around but only for a few minutes, nothing terribly convincing though. Then I went to bed early in the hope that'd prompt a bit of a boogie, and again, did have a few movements - enough to stop me haring up off the hospital but not terribly reassuring. This morning I've woken up and realised it didn't move as I was going to sleep, which is usually a prime time for practising leaping about, nor as I woke up this morning, when I can normally feel a bit of movement before it settles down and nods off for the morning. I have felt a couple of weak movements since getting up an hour ago but nothing that's made me go 'ahh there it is' if you know what I mean?? So I suppose the real thing is not utter lack of movement but dramatic change from usual movement patterns - and should I be worried? Would you be worried? What would you do? Am I just being an over-anxious prat? I am prone to anxiety, esp while preggers, so I could be wildly overreacting. (My most recent bit of ridiculousness is wondering if my whooping cough jab last week has something to do with this as I've had a rotten cough the last couple of days hmm) I don't really want to waste half a day up the hospital getting checked out if it's nothing, but I also don't want to do nothing if it's something... Argh

UltimateDetermination Wed 12-Dec-12 08:35:22

If you're this worried go and get checked out. Am sure all will be well but why take the risk? Go and reassure yourself

wanderingalbatross Wed 12-Dec-12 08:38:16

I'd go and get checked out at the hospital. It's not a waste to check out changes in movements.

TinkyPeet Wed 12-Dec-12 09:32:13

Go and get checked out that will be the only way for you to know for sure that everything's okay. Fx for you xx

crunchingautumnleaves Wed 12-Dec-12 10:08:24

Hopefully all's well (babies slow down a bit as they get bigger & there's less room for big moves & they can be a bit quieter when we're unwell) but until you know for certain that your baby is ok, you won't be able to relax. Also, whilst babies can slow down a bit and it doesn't mean anything bad, that's not always the case which is why there's such emphasis on keeping an eye on baby's movements. I can understand your frustration at spending time waiting around at hospital, but it won't be wasted. Either you'll get reassurance or help IF something's not quite right. Have you got any paperwork you could take with you to make use of waiting times? Or a notebook you could plan in - work related or perhaps preparing things for little one's arrival? Or alternatively take a good book or something & enjoy some 'me time'.

aimingtobeaperfectionist Wed 12-Dec-12 10:10:43

Get checked. Thats what they're there for.

UltimateDetermination Wed 12-Dec-12 16:07:54

How did you get on? Hope everything is ok

eggsfloursugarbutter Wed 12-Dec-12 16:29:23

Hope you got checked out and all is well.

In my last pregnancy the baby's movements slowed down a lot near the end, but I didn't seek any help. In hindsight I wish I had, because when he was born he had the cord round his neck three times. I don't know for sure if this was anything to do with the lack of movement, but what I do know is that I had a very long labour and long pushing stage - the cord must have been acting like a noose round his neck because he would not budge! Everything was fine though in the end.

Not saying that is the case with you, but best to check these things. I don't think you're being over anxious.

MyLastDuchess Wed 12-Dec-12 16:32:59

Agree with everyone else, always go and get checked out. I had to do it three times in a week with DD (now 2 weeks old). They would always, always rather that you go in and it turns out to be nothing than that you don't go and there might be a problem.

Please come back and let us know that you've been in for monitoring! smile

katesav87 Wed 12-Dec-12 16:35:07

Defo go get checked out just to put ur mind at rest. With dd1 I always did if I couldn't feel her move or her movements changed and as soon as I was connected to the heart monitor that was it she was wriggling again. But my local hospital were so good to me and said to come up wenever I needed to!! I'm sure nothing's wrong but just for piece of mind for u. I'm 16 weeks with dc2 and I know ill be up there if I couldn't I suffer from horrendous anxiety so it'll put my mind at rest xxx

FoofFighter Wed 12-Dec-12 17:01:59

(babies slow down a bit as they get bigger & there's less room for big moves & they can be a bit quieter when we're unwell)

this is a bit of a red herring actually and a lot of people ignore lack of movement because of this belief

OP I do hope all is ok and you are off being checked out.

www.countthekicks.org.uk

mindalina Thu 13-Dec-12 07:29:29

Hello! Thanks for your supportive messages, it's very kind. I called the midwife at the day assessment unit yesterday who chatted to me for a bit about what I was and wasn't feeling. She recommended having an ice-cold drink when I got home from work and then lying on my side for an hour, and calling back if I didn't get enough reassuring movement after that. Well I barely even made it home before baby kicked off and kept right on going until bedtime - typical eh! I'm glad I called in though, it really put my mind at rest that she didn't haul me straight in and make me spend hours waiting in the unit so will feel a bit better about calling in quicker if it happens again in future. Feel exhausted this morning despite what on paper should have been a really good nights sleep, so can only assume sprog kept up the acrobatics all night smile Thanks again for your comments, I appreciate them.

UltimateDetermination Thu 13-Dec-12 08:51:12

Glad everything is ok grin

mindalina Thu 13-Dec-12 10:18:48

Thanks UD smile

eggsfloursugarbutter Thu 13-Dec-12 11:58:49

Other tips for getting them to move are eating a mars bar, drinking an ice cold can of full fat coke, or getting in the bath.

I think this may be why I put on so much weight the last time I was pregnant as I was eating a mars bar every day! grin

Tamisara Thu 13-Dec-12 12:15:18

Just for future reference - babies do not slow down. They will move, and any change should be reported immediately.

It is also a complete waste of precious time to faff around drinking cold drinks & having baths. If your baby hasn't moved for hours, then you really should be heading to L&D. Having a bath/something sweet/cold, will not help a baby who is in trouble, possibly dying.

I'm glad that your baby is OK OP, but it is important to remember that not everyone will have a happy ending.

FoofFighter Thu 13-Dec-12 12:27:11

Very glad that your baby is fine mindalina, and also echoing what tamisara says - if there is reduced or no movement please don't hang about, get advise asap.

Mixxy Thu 13-Dec-12 13:24:11

Tamisara What if you have an anterior placenta and can't really regularly feel babies movements?

FoofFighter Thu 13-Dec-12 13:42:27

I would imagine that at some point you would find out that you had anterior placenta and your MW would advise accordingly?

SkinnyMarinkADink Thu 13-Dec-12 14:08:53

I also have a very active baby who has slowed down alot in the last few days, (was also blaming whooping cough jab lol)

midwife said that the movements will become different in later stages (34 weeks) cold water or a shot of coca cola gets her going.

mindalina Thu 13-Dec-12 14:16:55

I often find baby's movement picks up at feeding time! I think it must be a bit of a glutton like Mummy blush grin We especially like home-made chips, nothing gets it going quite like a plate of chips!

Tamisara - sensible advice and appreciated. I don't mean to underestimate the importance of the matter and have read before that the slowing down of movement in late pregnancy is a myth. I guess in this instance the midwife said what she did because I had felt some movement, just not as much or as energetic as usual? In retrospect I probably should have called the unit quicker but was worried about being pulled out of work to go in for checking - it's a very small company and I'm very conscious of the impact of my pregnancy on ym colleagues - but will be quicker to report in in the event of any further problems.

Tamisara Thu 13-Dec-12 16:42:28

Mixxy having an anterior placenta is even more reason to really check & double-check baby's movements - it certainly isn't a reason to be complacent. Yes it can be harder to feel movements, but when the baby is large enough to have a regular pattern, then it will be large enough to be felt in other places anyway.

Babies with anterior placentas, can & do die.

Tamisara Thu 13-Dec-12 16:44:46

mindalina thank you. I stupidly asked my friend, who was a midwife, about reduced movements, she too repeated the line about growing out of room. It's not her fault, but I think that it must be stamped out.

Mixxy Thu 13-Dec-12 17:43:39

Tamisara Hhhmmm, I'm 31 weeks and baby still has no set defined movements. I'm assuming that's big enough. Sometimes I feel a kick in the ribs, sometimes a hiccup, mostly nothing. I bought a doppler. Doctor had no advise, save for having a cool drink and lying down to check, which doesn't work for me. I wonder should I just go on maternity leave now.

Tamisara Thu 13-Dec-12 23:55:35

Mixxy I would keep going to be monitored if I were you. I would kick up a fuss, and demand regular scanning, as you should be feeling baby. Yes, it may be muffled, but don't be fobbed off by the fact you have an anterior placenta.

I had an anterior placenta with DD2. I was told that I could expect her to feel her less.

Nevertheless, I did still feel her - high up, like you.

Then one morning I didn't feel her. I never felt her again. She was stillborn at 37 weeks.

Please don't be fobbed off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now