Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

32 weeks, been admitted previously with high risk of pre term labour. Bump seems to be constantly rock hard???

(8 Posts)
BuntysFestiveCollocks Tue 11-Dec-12 21:00:14

My bump is always like a rock, freaked the registrar right out, but that's normal for me. If its not for you, get it checked.

PipIsOutNow Tue 11-Dec-12 20:36:58

I've got a consultant appointment tomorrow so maybe he'll be able to give me some reassurance as this worry is driving me insane. Especially as I have a c section scar and I know there's a risk of rupture with contractions. I need to hold on at least another 5 weeks for baby to be term though. Doing nothing is harder than it sounds!

Doraemon Tue 11-Dec-12 10:54:30

I'm in a similar position and the inability to do anything is really frustrating. I have a history of pre-term labours and am now 27 weeks - community midwife sent me in to be assessed yesterday because I'm getting constant Braxton Hicks. All I have to do is turn over in bed/get up out of a chair/walk more than a few meters and my bump goes rock hard and I have to stop and breathe for a minute. I was the same with my 2nd pregnancy and had labour stopped/steroids at 29 weeks, then gave birth at 34 1/12. But as only one contraction showed up on the monitors yesterday they didn't give me anything, just told me to come back if I have contractions every 10 minutes for 2 hours lasting 45 seconds each (not convinced about this plan as whole labour with DS1 was only 2 hours 20 minutes.....).
I'm trying to shift my mindset into enjoying doing as little as possible (largely because I desperately want this baby to stay in until at least about 34 weeks if possible) but I totally know what you mean about hating feeling useless. And it's bloody cold so it's not like you can even enjoy sitting out in the garden or anything :-(

PipIsOutNow Tue 11-Dec-12 10:42:40

I know it's really starting to bother me just how much of my independence I've lost. I literally cannot do a thing, I hate being so useless.

The thought of putting up with this discomfort and unpredictable body with a mind of its own for a potential 8 weeks is also really depressing me.

nananaps Tue 11-Dec-12 10:40:07

Mine is quite relaxed today but yetserday it was just as you say. Couldnt even walk from my car to the bank....i was parked outside it!

Its so disabling isnt it, and frustrating. Im not used to being so, well, useless. So i defo get what you are saying.

No one seems to know whay this happens either do they? They plied me with pethidine when i was admitted, which just made my ehad woozy tbh.

Strange things the pregnant body !

PipIsOutNow Tue 11-Dec-12 10:37:04

Obviously I don't want to risk anything either but it's just hard. Not contracting. I don't understand what on earth is going on with my body at all tbh I had none of this with my first pregnancy. Baby is moving fine too. It's not normal to have a rock hard bump though is it?

nananaps Tue 11-Dec-12 10:34:21

Hmm but its not right though is it?
I get what you are saying about not wanting to go in again, but what is best?

PipIsOutNow Tue 11-Dec-12 10:30:08

I was discharged on Sunday after 2 nights in hospital due to contractions and high risk of pre term labour. I was given steroid injections and other medication to try and relax my womb.

Since yesterday afternoon however, my bump has been rock hard and so uncomfortable. Is it quite normal for it to stay hard for so long?

I really don't want to ring the hospital
As I don't want to risk being admitted again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now