Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Shaving after c section??

(17 Posts)
dietcokeandwine Tue 11-Dec-12 21:16:19

noblegiraffe and festivedigestive - aww definitely don't feel rubbish - I think it's one of those things that can go either way! I am expecting DC3 shortly and could just as easily have a similar experience to you this time round (will have to have a 3rd section and am fully expecting recovery to be longer and very much more painful as so much scar tissue to hack through shock). There are so many variables - how long were you in labour before C section (if an emergency), what was your blood loss during surgery, how stable was your blood sugar, how quickly after getting up for the first time did you attempt a shower, etc, etc.

I am just really lucky I think in that I tend to recover quite quickly from surgeries - and rather less lucky that I have needed quite a lot of surgeries for various reasons over the years sad so I think my body is just used to going into 'quick recovery' mode.

Hermionewastherealhero Tue 11-Dec-12 19:48:32

I was booked in for a wax before my section (baby beech) but he arrived 2 weeks early. I had been allowing some regrowth for the wax (yep, still shaving when heavily pregnant) so when midwife checked how dilated I was I remembered the state of my bikini line and started whinging about it- she obviously thought I was mad!
I don't think they shaved me, I did get an infection in the scar which postponed the shaving.
I shaved my legs just after my waters broke and again about 3 dys later I think, but the hair grows slowly.
And yes, I have still managed hair done, make up on, shower and body cream every day.

Nicky1306 Tue 11-Dec-12 19:42:09

Wow maybe I was really lucky after dd, I gave her a quick feed in delivery and then waddled off to have a soak in the bath while dp got her dressed! No fainting,
Had a good nights sleep, got up the next day , showered, put my make up on bathed dd and asked to go home! Hope it's like that next time! grin x

FestiveDigestive Tue 11-Dec-12 10:58:55

There is a sign up at my hospital asking patients NOT to shave before a c-section because it increases the infection risk. The scar is just above your bikini line anyway so they only have to shave a tiny bit.

I'm another one who is impressed by shaving legs in the shower the next day - how?!! Both times I fainted on the way to the shower & then had to be held up in there by DH as I couldn't stand up properly & was worried about fainting again.

NAR4 Tue 11-Dec-12 10:09:26

I always book myself into the beauty salon for a leg wax and down there wax, as close to my due date as poss. I know it sounds silly but I really don't like the idea of the midwife struggling to see what she is sewing afterwards, due to lots of hair (all mine were VB). Also saves having to bother with it all for a month or so after baby is born. Made me feel slightly less of a mess afterwards.

Do whatever makes you feel good, as long as you don't hurt yourself.

Haggisfish Tue 11-Dec-12 09:56:19

I was specifically advised NOT to shave/wax immediately before my CS, due to the risk of subsequent infection if I cut myself. I was told the team would do it for me.

MaMattoo Mon 10-Dec-12 22:09:27

I had a wax before I went into hospital and got my legs waxed 3 months later. The c sex scar got so screwed with various infections and complications that I have not bothered it at all. I shave and trim everything but the scar.

I agree with the poster - this Will be the least of your worries. Shower, hair wash, nail cutting, tweezing, colour, body buffing - nah dah! Nothing happened. Or maybe I just pushed jumped into the deep end too quick for my own good. From hot girlfriend to good wife and run down mum in a matter of years! smile

TwitchyTail Mon 10-Dec-12 21:59:30

Book yourself a leg and bits wax a few days beforehand - problem solved grin

noblegiraffe Mon 10-Dec-12 21:28:36

I managed to comfortably shave my legs in the shower the day after DS1's C section

envy I managed to nearly pass out in the shower the day after my C-section and a midwife had to take me back to the ward in a wheelchair blush

Honestly, how did you manage it? I still needed help getting my knickers on 3 days later! Clearly I'm a bit rubbish.

Nicky1306 Mon 10-Dec-12 21:10:45

Dietcoke and wine you sound JUST like me! I need a shower daily and HATE having hairy/stubbly legs and or lady garden and don't even get me started on dirty hair.......Bluegh! envy I may be on my PJ's but i will be showered and the Jarmies will be clean! Glad it's not just me who feels this way!! X

dietcokeandwine Mon 10-Dec-12 14:50:13

Not sure about shaving the scar area, I would avoid to be honest for a good while! But remember they will either ask you to shave, or shave the area for you completely, prior to any C section surgery. And in my experience (I've had two sections) it took ages for that hair to grow back anyway. By which time you may well find it's fine.

Re shaving legs - I too am one of those who has to (a) take a shower and (b) shave legs in the shower daily. Can't bear to leave even a few days' stubble shock grin. It was the thought of not getting a daily shower that was one of the things I felt quite freaked out about when expecting DC1 (you know the way everyone says 'oh, you'll still be in your PJs by 7pm, you won't care about a shower' and I was like err, yes I think I will!).

Obviously everyone's experience is different, but I managed to comfortably shave my legs in the shower the day after DS1's C section; with my second section recovery took slightly longer but I still managed a leg shave on day two or three post section. And there has never been one single day of parenthood (and I'm talking over 8 years of it) when I haven't managed that daily shower. I have to shower to feel human. Believe me, if something's important to you, you'll make time for it, honestly. And baby will be just fine wink

Merida Mon 10-Dec-12 13:23:58

If it's any consolation, my scar is about a cm above my bikini line. Not sure why other than perhaps because they were in one helluva rush!

If you're that bothered, maybe go for a wax beforehand (not sure if that's allowed when pg?)

Nicky1306 Mon 10-Dec-12 11:24:24

9 weeks!!!!!! blushblushblushblush omg this is going to be my idea of HELL, my legs WILL be shaved even if DP does it......this baby had better turn ASAP I can't not shave for 9 weeks! Lol x

Hermionewastherealhero Mon 10-Dec-12 10:37:55

I have shaved the edges since about 9 weeks after, I'm 13 weeks now and did a little shaving last night but as I am still so numb it feels weird!

noblegiraffe Mon 10-Dec-12 10:13:27

Oh blimey the thought of putting something sharp near a healing wound has just made me shudder. Weeks, I would have thought, if not months, depending on healing, infections etc.

But given that you'll be spending a lot of the early days covered in baby sick and consider it an achievement to have a shower and do your hair, perhaps what you look like down there will be less of a concern. You won't be shaving your legs for a while either if you have a CS!

Fluffeh Mon 10-Dec-12 08:35:55

I'm not sure when you'll be able to shave it but could you use wax or removal cream just before the cs they seem to last a little longer than shaving smile.

Nicky1306 Mon 10-Dec-12 08:24:57

Hi,

Sorry if TMI but how soon after c section could you shave over the scar area? I'm a shaven girl (blushes) with just a small triangle left, always have been hate having anything more down there!
It's just dawned on me if I do have to have a section I won't be able to shave!! grin(

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now