Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

When did you have booking in appointment?

(43 Posts)
lovemybabyboy Wed 05-Dec-12 12:46:50

I just saw the midwife yesterday for first appointment and I am 8 weeks, I am not having my booking in appointment untill I am 13weeks! and she said my scan will probably be the week after that so not till I am 14 weeks!!
That seems VERY late to me! She said its because of christmas and new year, trying to fit everyone in!

BadMissM Sat 29-Dec-12 21:01:39

We have no other hospitals within a safe distance, so even though ours is appalling, have no choice really.... Next ones are 30-50 miles away, a bit too far to rush to...

Amnewtoallthis Sat 29-Dec-12 12:37:01

If you mean hospital appointment where you spend an hour with midwife then having bloods and urine test etc - mine was 16 weeks. Had to refer self for 12 week because hospital was so inefficient. So I changed hospital - hence late one. Am having 20 week scan next week - at 22 weeks- because of Christmas etc. can't fault care we've had though. After 12 week scan and bloods we were told baby may have problems so we were referred to a private London hospital to have a CVS - all find thank goodness.

BadMissM Sat 29-Dec-12 11:41:57

It turned out the appt they made me at first was just a scan...no booking-in....

BadMissM Sat 29-Dec-12 11:41:08

Here, midwife referral for Booking-in, and the midwife hasn't even made it yet (am nearly 11 weeks).

As am 45, with history of problems, I thought they would have made it before...am likely to be about 15 weeks before I get to see them. I also need bloods/nuchal scan because of my age and history...and they haven't even mentioned them to me yet...

Mutley77 Tue 18-Dec-12 21:16:31

My experience is that you have to fight for what you need sometimes! I had trouble getting a booking in appointment, told my GP and he said "The midwife will have to see you before 12 weeks" - if you are getting a nuchal scan it needs to be within a certain time frame and the booking in appointment triggers it all as the hospital need your details to make the appointment (well certainly where I live anyway).
I would just say you are not happy and can they please refer you to another midwife to do the booking in? Although if you are not having a nuchal scan then the timing is not so crucial.

rainand Wed 12-Dec-12 14:23:08

I had mine at 13 weeks and scan at 15 weeks, but that was because of my own doing (I was away). I did miss out on the down syndrome test and the measurement by having 1st scan so late.

MyLittleAprilSunshine Wed 12-Dec-12 14:13:00

I had mine at 8 weeks and my scan at 12+4.

BadMissM Wed 12-Dec-12 13:40:57

Having mine on Thursday now, as they have decided I am old and high-risk...... eep!

ScubaSarah Wed 12-Dec-12 13:36:28

Ladies. I hope you're all well. I had my scan this morning. 6+3 and I saw the heart beating. Amazing and SOOOO relieved everything is as it should be grin
Love to all x

BadMissM Sat 08-Dec-12 14:39:59

Not had any appointments yet, due mine next week by which time I'll be 9 weeks. That's even though am 45 with bad pg history....

ScubaSarah Fri 07-Dec-12 17:52:32

Thanks nanny I think I'll be 7weeks on the dot. Ironically the midwife called soon after and I have my booking in on Dec 20th smile
Starting to relax AND get more excited...

rrreow Fri 07-Dec-12 12:14:18

If you haven't heard through the midwife referral, it could be worth a try to just phone your local hospital's ante-natal unit (phone their switchboard and ask to be put through to the right department) and try and make an appointment directly?

nannyl Fri 07-Dec-12 11:46:54

good luck

roughly how pregnant do you think you will be then?

ScubaSarah Fri 07-Dec-12 11:39:14

I'm booked in next Wednesday at 11:20. Eeek grin

Twinklestarstwinklestars Fri 07-Dec-12 11:34:01

At 5 weeks but that's early round here and was only because I have severe asthma and existing high blood pressure and am on loads of medication. Going to see the consultant next week at 8 weeks and scan at 11+6 and I requested it be between Xmas and new year as I'm a cm so don't fancy taking 3 kids along! They said after that it will be 16 weeks then consultant again.

BraveLilBear Fri 07-Dec-12 11:27:07

Scuba do a google search - try 'private pregnancy scans then add your town or county'.

I don't think you can get private scans at NHS places. The place near me is a bespoke private scan facility, they offer everything from full body MRI scans to all types of pregnancy scans. Early reasurance scans are £80. One bonus is that it's open 7 days a week, so could do it on a weekend.

I think for me nannyl seeing a heartbeat will help enormously. If you see a heart beat at 8 weeks, there's a 97% chance of pregnancy lasting the distance. You're never really out of the woods, but at least it would rule out an ectopic or (early) mmc.

NAR4 Fri 07-Dec-12 11:22:55

First midwife appointment was about 8 weeks, made through GP receptionist. Scan was 12 weeks, appointment sent in the post after midwife initiated it at my first appointment. Booking in appointment, midwife came to my house at 16 weeks, which was the next time I saw her.

Second scan was 20 weeks, I had to make this when at the hospital when I had my first scan. Didn't see midwife again until 24 weeks and then again at 29 weeks. Next midwife appointment is 32 weeks.

nannyl Fri 07-Dec-12 11:17:50

if you have to pay you might be better off asking one of the places that do 4D scans, where everyone pays

as far as i know we cant all just go to a hospital and pay to use the NHS services and staff....
we either have a medical need for them, and are referred, OR they use their equipments for others who have a medical need for them?

how pg are you scuba?

as for everything "being ok" that is much more apparent on the 20 weeks scan, the early scans basically see a heart beat.... i had mine this week.... i could see 1 baby with a head, 2 arms and 2 legs and a heart beating

ScubaSarah Fri 07-Dec-12 11:07:18

Thanks Brave do you book it with hospital or MW ? I know I'll have to pay but I just want to know its ok so I can relax (slightly) over Xmas.

BraveLilBear Fri 07-Dec-12 10:49:22

Ultimate that sonds frustrating - if you are high risk I'd ring up and ask directly for an earlier scan and tell them why. You can have scans before booking-in appts.

Scuba unless you have a medical reason for an early scan (like lots of previous mcs) or are having complications ie bleeding, it's very unlikely you'll be able to get an early scan on the NHS.

If you would like one, you can arrange a private one yourslef, but you have to pay - in my area it's £80. I'm thinking of getting one due to previous mc.

nannyl Fri 07-Dec-12 10:10:22

Scuba, do you have any medical reason to want an early scan?

If so perhaps call which ever dr advised that you should have one.

Midwives will arrange the scans that are normal on the NHS, or at least mine does.

UltimateDetermination Fri 07-Dec-12 09:10:03

I had my first midwife appt at 9 weeks and now have my booking in appt through - when I'll be 15 weeks!! I'm a potential high risk pregnancy and am so shocked at the lack of medical attention so far! (No tests/scans/checks so far) I need a cubs test which has to be done between 11-14 weeks....I'm currently 10.3 weeks and guess what? No appt through yet. If I've still not got a date in a weeks time I'm going to get a private cubs, it'll be my Xmas preside from DH! Not much faith in my MW or the 'system' I'm afraid sad

ScubaSarah Fri 07-Dec-12 09:07:48

Im in Somerset and its self referral too. I left a message on Wednesday but will follow up today, I'm about 7 weeks I think and I want an early scan. Do you do that through MW or do I just phone the hospital? Starting
to realise I know NOTHING hmm

BraveLilBear Fri 07-Dec-12 08:09:43

Mine has now come thru, too. 3pm on Christmas Eve! Hopefully I'll be able to maintain her attention long enough. Good news is that I don't have to lie about why I need the afternoon off work as my office will be closed for Christmas. (Lucky me). And DP is also off work so can use the car.

I'll be 9 + 1 then.

flyingsprocket Wed 05-Dec-12 20:35:10

Tee hee, just after I posted that last post the midwife called. I have now got a date for the booking appointment & she's coming to me grin

So happy now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now