Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Xmas do

(12 Posts)
Kafri Fri 16-Nov-12 15:15:44

Ok, so im sure some of you are fed up of my silly questions now but here we go again...
I'm due PFB in 5 weeks which i'm really excited about. DH has his xmas do at the beginning of December which will be 3 weeks before due date. I've asked DH to drive to his xmas do and obv, if driving, not drink so that if anything were to happen, he could then get home again easily to get me to hosp.
Now I've read that a lot of first time mums go over their date but I have been told since getting pg that i am at risk of early labour.
DH seems happy to drive and not drink so that isn't the problem. I guess i'm just wondering if i'm being a bit mean and should let hime go and have a drink. i'm not doing it to be mean, iyswim, i just dont want to be left stranded if anything were to get going.
Ta x

Ellypoo Fri 16-Nov-12 15:22:11

I don't think you're being mean - you haven't been able to drink for 9 months, it's only 1 night!!! Esp if you have been warned that you may be at risk of early labour - it's totally fair enough!

suzyrut Fri 16-Nov-12 15:23:46

Hi OP. How far away is the christmas party, are taxi's easily available? Do you guys live somewhere remote?

Kafri Fri 16-Nov-12 15:33:08

No we don't live anywhere remote - we live in 1 town, DH works in another about 35/40 mins away by car and hosp is about 20/30 mins away in another town. (My local hospital only has a MLU which i'm not allowed to go to - have been told right through it would have to be Mat hospital)

I guess DH could get a taxi - would prefer him not to due to costs. I'm getting myself slightly worried about money with my income dropping to mat leave right at xmas etc

plus, if he got a taxi home cos he'd had a drink, he still wouldn't be able to get me to hospital and we'd have to have another taxi or ask PIL to take us. I was really hoping not to tell PIL when I went in as I wanted to wait until PFB arrived. I know how controlling MIL can be and I just know she'd turn up to 'help' which i've been adamant all along it should be just DH and I until s/he arrives. (im not planning on leaving them out of their GC life at all - just the labour/birth bit).

MrsHoarder Fri 16-Nov-12 15:49:31

Something else to near in mind: do you wasn't to risk a drunk birth partner? If you do go into labour that night would he struggle to support you if he'd had a few?

WitchesTit Fri 16-Nov-12 15:53:24

It's lovely that he's happy to drive and not drink. Don't feel mean, you're including him in the responsibility. I bet he's pleased as punch to be showing you off and won't even miss not having a drink. Have a lovely time!

suzyrut Fri 16-Nov-12 20:20:48

Hi again op, personally I wouldn't mind but I don't think you're being mean especially with the money and family considerations. Btw your dh sounds lovely as he clearly doesn't mind at all smile

NAR4 Fri 16-Nov-12 21:17:50

Not mean at all. Sods law says you will go into labour if he gets drunk and can't drive you to the hospital.

Can you imagine the look on the midwifes face if you turned up in a taxi with a drunk husband? The image does bring a little smile to my face.

mylittlemonkey Fri 16-Nov-12 21:52:06

The birth of your pfb only happens once and I know your DH would be really disappointed if he missed it because he was drunk so i am sure for that reason he prob does not mind anyway. As others have said it is only one night and a small sacrifice to make really.

Not mean! I asked my DH to not drink from 36 weeks and, as someone else said, he agreed as was keen to share responsibility. If he doesn't mind, don't worry! Xx

Kafri Fri 16-Nov-12 22:29:07

Lol, just got an image of the mw's face if I rocked up with a drunk DH. Made me smile.

I guess I just wanted to check I wasn't being too cautious with it being my first and not knowing the 'rules' as it were.x

10storeylovesong Sat 17-Nov-12 18:37:34

Not mean at all. Perfectly reasonable I think, it's not like you're telling him he can't go or anything. You've already said he doesn't mind. There's Xmas dos every year...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now