Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Told wrong gender at ultrasound??

(59 Posts)
chubbychipmonk Thu 15-Nov-12 22:13:11

Just wondering if this really happens?
Has anyone (or know of anyone) who was told boy & had a girl or vice versa??
Anyone told different genders Mat different dates or by different sonographers? Can you ever be 100% sure what you are told?

Ridingthestorm Mon 05-Jan-15 22:22:32

Told by three different sonographers, 1 at 20 week scan and 2 at 28 week scan I am having a girl. the third sonographer was the 'advanced practitioner'. I saw three lines at 20 weeks (told DEFINTELY no boy bits, definitely a girl) but friends but seeds of doubt into my head saying that lots say it is a girl when in fact it is a boy. So hence why I asked at my growth scan if they could double check. Again, I could see three lines which were a lot clearer and they said 'definitely no boy bits there'.

So I am confident that in 10 weeks I am having a little girl! (Who will remain nameless as DH seems to be disinterested in discussing names grin )

GotToBeInItToWinIt Mon 05-Jan-15 17:25:53

We were told girl at the scan and sonographer seemed 100% confident. Confirmed at 4d scan, again with 100% confidence. They were right. However if trained sonographers who see hundreds a week sometimes get it wrong, i don't for one minute believe your husband could get an accurate view from a quick glance at the screen. A friend of mine was convinced she was having a girl after seeing clear 'three lines' on a late scan and she had a boy. I don't understand all the obsessing if you've chosen not to find out. If you want to know, ask.

Carrierpenguin Mon 05-Jan-15 15:15:21

I've heard it's much more common for boys to be mistaken for girls, a tricky angle may not show boy parts and thought to be a girl. If sonographer sees a penis then that's conclusively a boy though.

IrnBruTheNoo Wed 31-Dec-14 22:40:45

The best option is to not bother finding out and that way you won't get disappointed.

SaggyAndLucy Wed 31-Dec-14 21:33:40

I remember watching a Dr Robert Winston thing on TV years ago. He said that in uterine little girl parts are quite swollen and look very much like boy bits making it hard to tell unless you see a penis.

Pico2 Wed 31-Dec-14 21:26:23

This happened to a colleague of mine. Told girl, had boy. It's one of the reasons we haven't found out. I don't think it would do much for a boy's ego to have the story of 'we thought you'd be a girl' as part of family folklore.

But it is proving a bit difficult to buy neutral stuff.

GertyD Wed 31-Dec-14 21:18:39

I had 4 scans, the first was too early to tell, and the subsequent 3 all confirmed a girl.

DS was born shortly after grin

babyblabber Wed 31-Dec-14 21:14:22

Really interesting thread. I didn't want to find out but had a 4D scan at 28 weeks and was 100% certain I saw a scrotum in a side angle shot. My mum was with me and said the same thing after. I got a disc with some images & short videos and in one video there is a clear bulge between the legs.

It was driving me mad "nearly" knowing so asked my consultant (who is apparently known in obstetrics world wide as one of the best scanners!!!) to confirm at 32 weeks and lo and behold he starts pointing out baby's labia!!!

I was so so sure I'd seen boy parts, just goes to show! Although 4 weeks to go til I inow for certain I guess!

AnnaLorak23 Wed 31-Dec-14 20:00:55

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Cullercoats88 Fri 17-Oct-14 13:53:21

This worries me actually because I was convinced im having a boy, and when sonographer said she thinks it's a girl, but baby isn't in ideal position to be sure, it's got me thinking I could be having a boy afterall. I keep dreaming that I am.

All the family have brought pink things though!!! Eek nervous wait until baby appears

Frusso Fri 17-Oct-14 13:31:29

Dd1 was a not 100% but likely a girl. Dd2 was 100% a girl (trainee sonography being taught how to sex them)
Ds 100% boy, mainly because I kept asking was she sure, and she flipped to the scan that shows the blood flow through the penis and then 3d, with a 'that is definitely a penis see'

UterusUterusGhali Fri 17-Oct-14 13:29:19

Yep. I've known it happen. I knew of someone who had a number of scans, including a 3D (4D?) one and told their little boy was a girl.

Another time the family had spent thousands of pounds on kit for their much longed-for "princess". T'was a Prince.

It's never, ever 100% accurate.

junkfoodaddict Fri 17-Oct-14 13:24:39

My niece was born in Gibraltar and at the 20 week scan which I was there for, the sonographer stopped and paused at the genitals and showed us the 'three lines' which was the labia. She was indeed a girl. I have my 20 week scan in just over two weeks and we are going to find out but will request that the sonographer shows and explains the genitals before being convinced (if he/she can)

toriaplum Fri 17-Oct-14 10:10:56

A friend had a private gender scan and was told she was having a boy. When she had 20 weeks nhs scan was told a girl. Was very vocal about how the nhs didn't know what they were doing. She had a girl and had to exchange all the boy clothing and equipment.

cheesecakemom Fri 17-Oct-14 00:29:01

Yes it does happen. The NHS sonographers usually tells you it's not 100%. 1st pregnancy I was told 85% then 95% girl and it was a girl. But I had numerous scans due to being under consultant led care and a private 4D scan.

This time I was told 100% girl at 16 weeks (private). This was confirmed by the NHS scans too. I haven't bought any boys clothing so I hope there won't be any surprises!

momof4alaska Fri 17-Oct-14 00:00:59

My sister was told girl at 20 weeks then had a boy, so it does happen. I guess it's actually semi-common, but usually in earlier scans.

www.lifewithgremlins.com/boy-girl-ultrasound-wrong-gender-scan-accuracy/

chubbychipmonk Mon 19-Nov-12 14:17:31

Didn't realise you could see them having a wee! Wow!

ISeeThreadPeople Mon 19-Nov-12 10:12:41

I wasn't too bothered about finding out with dc2 and said if the sonographer could see clearly, then perhaps we would like to find out. She put the wand on and up on the screen flashed... a penis and balls. The sonographer laughed and said 'well that's clear then'. 3 seconds later she said 'and there he is having a wee'. You could see his bladder emptying and the fluid moving through his penis. Definitely a boy. Had another scan at 36 weeks to check position and the consultant remarked 'what an enormous scrotum'.

With dd, the sonographer couldn't tell what we were having. She wouldn't wake up or uncross her legs and it was all completely hidden. We had to go back for another scan as they couldn't get any measurements. It was fairly clearly a girl at the 2nd scan.

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 19-Nov-12 10:02:39

Mine were all correct - 2 boys then a girl. The sonographer showed me what she called 'the hamburger' to show the girl bits.

I don't actually know anyone whose been told the wrong sex but am sure it does happen.

chubbychipmonk Mon 19-Nov-12 09:58:11

To add to the confusion, I've since seen a psychic who told me I was having a boy. . . But that's a different thread entirely!!! grin

Empross76 Sun 18-Nov-12 14:19:53

My friend was told a girl but had a boy. It resulted in bonding problems as the whole birth was quite traumatic! We had 4D scans both times, partly to confirm what the normal scans had said!

NAR4 Sun 18-Nov-12 14:14:44

Twice I have seen parents in Mothercare exchanging clothes and equipment because the baby was born a different gender to what the scan had said. Unfortunately the majority of baby clothing and equipment seems to now be pink or blue, rather than a gender neuteral colour such as cream or lemon.

Lastofthepodpeople Sun 18-Nov-12 09:46:31

We were told boy. Sonographer told us there was a chance of error 'but if I'm wrong, I've never seen a vagina that looks that much like a penis'.
DS supposedly had it all on display but TBH I couldn't make head or tail. It all looked like squashy alien to me.

TwitchyTail Sun 18-Nov-12 09:35:50

Chubbychipmonk, google image "20 weeks scan boy" and see what the signs really are. They are subtle and I really don't believe most people could tell from a quick glance far away from the screen. Definitely not willy and balls on a blackboard...

Of course, your DH has a 50% chance of being right anyway, in which case I expect he will crow that he knew all along and has amazing ultrasound interpretation skills grin

Splatt34 Sun 18-Nov-12 08:32:03

Seen it a few times as i work on labour ward. One couple were so devasted it was like they were in denial that baby boy was their's. They'd bought everything pink too.

Which is why I didn't find out last time & won't this time eithrr

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now