Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

To what extent have you played the 'pregnancy card'?

(61 Posts)
iamwhaticallpregnant Thu 15-Nov-12 16:12:09

I am now 27 weeks and I am finally clearly visibly pregnant! I haven't really used the 'I'm pregnant' card at all yet. I was given a free ticket on the bus but don't think he knew I was pregnant. I was also offered free passage to a 30p public toilet by a lovely lady - but again, I think she was just against paying for peeing as opposed to knowing I was preggars. My partner on the other hand marches about exclaiming to people "She's pregnant!! Can she have that seat?!" or "She's pregnant, do you have any cheese that isn't unpasteurised?!" or "You're pregnant, you even touch that Ikea table and it's over!"
So, I am thinking I should start to take advantage of 'being pregnant' as I may not be in this state again. As a bit of fun, where have you used your pregnant card to either get out of something or get something for free?!

disclaimer : This is a bit of tongue in cheek fun. Please no comments along the lines of "One should not manipulate situations and use this amazing gift you have been granted to take advantage of others!"

We all know being pregnant, for the most part, sucks ass. I intend on getting a few perks out of it. Bite me.

iamwhaticallpregnant Sun 18-Nov-12 22:30:13

Ha ha ha ha!

Myliferocks Sat 17-Nov-12 21:40:54

I've just asked my OH whether I ever played the pregnancy card during any of my 5 pregnancies.
He said no!
He's either telling the truth or wants a shag tonight! grin

EggsMichelle Sat 17-Nov-12 21:38:02

Those who mentioned the parent parking, twice today my friend/DH have had to move the car or help me with the door before I could get in and out of the car due to lack of space, I think if I'm on my own I will have to take advantage of the wider spaces!

Chesterado Sat 17-Nov-12 19:37:28

Another one with the RAC but it was more to justify my own stupidity in running out of fuel!

FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Sat 17-Nov-12 13:43:47

I confess I did cry in the Thai restaurant because they had chilli sauce and curry sauce out with the buffet and I'd been dreaming about peanut sauce for days. The nice lady brought me a whole bowl for myself.

NAR4 Sat 17-Nov-12 13:17:33

Thanks iam I just couldn't be bothered to say anything. In my mind if they are that ignorant, nothing I say will make a difference.

iamwhaticallpregnant Sat 17-Nov-12 11:01:33

NAR4 thats terrible. Rude people get on mh wick!!! I dont know if I would have had your restraint. I too have SPD so very sympathetic.

wanderingalbatross Fri 16-Nov-12 21:21:11

I also tell DH he can't tickle me. Except that I tickle him first, and then claim that he can't do it back because I'm pregnant. He doesn't listen sad

NAR4 Fri 16-Nov-12 21:10:05

I'm obviously just rubbish at it.

Went to rhyme time at the library today with my toddler and as I walked towards the last adult size chair, got barged out the way by another mum. I'm 6.5 months pregnant with my 5th, so CLEARLY look pregnant. No one offered me their chair, even when the lady running it asked if I was alright and I replied that I couldn't sit on the floor due to bad SPD making it too painful.

Stood for 15 minutes until deciding the pain wasn't worth it and dragging out a reluctant toddler, who didn't want to leave early.

I really thought that at least other mums would be sympathetic. Guess not!

shinyblackgrape Fri 16-Nov-12 21:01:58

strawberries - I've done that too! Managed to calm myself down and then started again as I was worried the baby would think it was because we didn't want him.

Baby probably thinking - WTF?! hmm

First time I didn't use the pg card

This time I will not be lifting heavy objects, painting at 38 weeks, food shopping at 40+10, or driving past 40 weeks. I also will be handing over all toddler nighttime co sleeping from 30ish weeks as she kicks. Hard.

StrawberriesTasteLikeLipsDo Fri 16-Nov-12 20:44:57

Just sat and cried in The bath... Over everything an nothing... DP comes in looking like im mad... i said dont judge me im pregnant.. He made me tea grin

angeltattoo Fri 16-Nov-12 20:32:17

I had a flat tyre today and called DH, who came to the rescue, I perhaps could have done it myself, but well, I'm pregnant wink

Emsyboo Fri 16-Nov-12 18:16:24

Haven't got any freebies but been on at DH to discuss an issue with MIL for ages so used the I dont need the extra stress in pregnancy card which has worked and we are working things out!
Never thought about getting any perks but hey it's hard work being pregnant so why not lol however the majority if people are rude like iamwhaticallpregnant experienced.

rogersmellyonthetelly Fri 16-Nov-12 17:21:50

I did yesterday, went to the chemist to get my prescription for antibiotics an stupidly left my bag in the car, 200 yards away. I asked if she needed to see my maternity exemption cert or was it obvious by now? She said obvious enough to her so saved me traipsing back to the car. I was very grateful.

iamwhaticallpregnant Fri 16-Nov-12 14:33:07

LOVE ALL OF THESE!!! Thanks ladies. The way I see it - we have to go through a lot of pain, sickness and exhaustion finishing in the grand finale of childbirth (which I hear is Godly horrendous!) So I think taking advantage should be the law!
I intend on using it a lot more from now on. Can you IMAGINE what men would be like if the shoe was on the other foot?! Come on......

NaomiKnees Fri 16-Nov-12 11:32:20

I like to think I haven't been to bad, DH would probably disagree.
The only thing that I am guilty of doing, and was the second I got a visible bump, is undoing my coat and displaying said bump in order to get a seat on the tube.

milkyjo Fri 16-Nov-12 10:52:08

After being told off by DH for standing on a chair at 19 weeks to put up Halloween decorations I said "ok". But, after Halloween, when I said "can you take them down then", they stayed up for another week until I got on a chair to take them down myself. So although DH is playing the card for me, he's not really doing me any favours. I'm not sure he's even realised I've taken the decs down! I was still lugging a rabbit run around the garden and cleaning them out at 37 weeks during my first pregnancy - he didn't seem to notice that!

BonaDea Fri 16-Nov-12 09:47:28

We had workmen at the house a few weeks ago sanding some floors for us. They did a great job, but for some reason on the last day the guy who had been doing the work (who was dropped off by a van on day 1 with all the equipment, but who didn't have a car himself) tidied everything up, stacked all the equipment neatly in the hall for collection....and then left the spare key we had given them behind and closed the door. Which meant they couldn't collect their stuff without one of us being there and then proceeded to turn up at 11am or 4pm when we were at work to attempt to collect it.

After arranging on three separate occasions to wait at home in the morning for them to collect and greeted with no shows, I eventually called the office and told them I was '6 months pregnant' (I'm 20 weeks now, and this was two weeks ago!) and that the equipment in my hallway was a trip hazard and that I could barely get in and out of the house.

They collected the stuff at 7am the following morning. grin

stargirl - I've been thinking recently that I will start to use parent and child parking by the time I'm huge.

EggsMichelle Fri 16-Nov-12 08:37:13

I had called the police about my noisy neighbours in the past but all they did was log my complaint. I tell them on one occasion I was 6months pregnant, and the police were at my neighbours door in 20mins! Felt very guilty for using my 'condition' but we haven't had any problems from them since, and the rest of the street must be sleeping better!

humblebumble Fri 16-Nov-12 02:53:05

I used it with DH to tell him he wasn't allowed to tickle me because I was pregnant (and I also used it whilst breast feeding). In fact I got away with being "not tickled" for about 5 years! I am being paid back now ... smile

Secondsop Fri 16-Nov-12 02:20:43

Not really playing a card, as it's something that I shouldn't do when pregnant, but: not having to do the cat's litter tray is a joy.

mameulah Thu 15-Nov-12 23:34:20

I think that we would be doing the World of Womanhood a dis-service by not playing the 'I'm Pregnant!' card...

I have had heaps of great stuff, loads of people have let me go to the front of the que.
The customer services lady at a big supermarket went out of her way to refund goods for me to save me going upstairs because she could see I wasn't fit. She found me later on in the supermarket to check I was okay.

People at work carrying and picking things up for me.

Strangers chatting and asking how I am.

And my all time favourite......someone chased a big scary looking seagull off my car for me!!!

Make the most of it I say!

HermioneE Thu 15-Nov-12 22:39:28

Got a priority dr visit, not sure if that counts. Rang up to book a routine antenatal appointment but my favourite doc was booked solid for even more days than they usually take bookings for. Obediently said I would ring back the next morning and then hopelessly said 'it's for an antenatal checkup...' boom, one doctor appointment plus adjacent flu and whooping cough jabs on the day of my choice!

Have also been sort of claiming KFC 'cravings', but I'm not even fooling myself with that one. Almond croissant 'cravings' are going to be my next attempt.

TwitchyTail Thu 15-Nov-12 22:26:19

I did it when I called the RAC and they turned up in 2 minutes flat! (Well, part of that was because the RAC guy was in the Tesco round the corner, but still).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now