Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

The BEST things about being pregnant!

(103 Posts)

Ladies, lets have a positive post to share some of the good things about being pregnant at different stages (we know there are lots of niggles, pains and grim things to contend with). grin

I'm 13+2 and just hitting a better (but, not perfect) phase.

My best things so far are:

- keeping a very exciting secret (until next week!)
- glossy hair
- hubby doing more stuff around the house
- buying maternity clothes and getting eBay bargains
- the excuse to plan house-projects
- a new focus for exercise
- excitement about starting a family with DH and being 'we three'

...and seeing our baby waving (with finger bones!) at the scan this week!

What about you?

ivanapoo Thu 18-Oct-12 17:56:45

No periods!

No having to suck it in!

Weird feeling of zen like calm!

Being treated like royalty!

Awesome what-is-the-baby-doing-in-there game!

People being excited and happy for you!

I love it.

Boop33 Thu 18-Oct-12 17:57:40

Maternity leave !!! Just started mine and loving itttttttttttttttttttttt!!! :-) xxx

18wksplus Thu 18-Oct-12 18:46:35

Ooh. Moving house/going on holiday and not being expected to carry anything heavier than a handbag (and the toddler when she whinges...!).

Being allowed to eat on a regular basis to ensure good blood sugar levels.

Being able to refuse food you don't like with the explanation that it might trigger MS (despite being almost 22wks and not having had MS for three months now ;) ).

MyDaydream Thu 18-Oct-12 18:49:24

18weeks I did the MS thing early on when presented with a disgusting dinner at FILs.

Hormonalhell Thu 18-Oct-12 18:52:55

Maternity leave yippppppeeeee!!! grin

kellestar Thu 18-Oct-12 19:20:18

comfortable clothes... loving having my maternity yoga bottoms on. Sooooo comfy. Tops that cover my midriff/muffin tops. Wearing DH's big jumpers.

I can't wait until I have a proper bump, at the moment it's just lardy, but I still rub it lovingly.

Nausea... yes there is a positive side to it smile I am using it as a reason not to do alot of things, like emptying bins and bending over to pick things up off the floor [that covers most of the housework] as it might make me puke.

Being able to say Yes, when people say that DD is nearly 2, don't you want another one!

I love having that little secret to start with. Always makes me think of the semisonic song secret smile [though i can't remember most of the lyrics]

Dandelion75 Thu 18-Oct-12 19:26:36

Boobs!
Never worrying about if you look fat in an outfit (I look pregnant in everything)!
Having a free pass from emptying the cat litter tray!
Guilt free Frazzle and Wotsits eating!
Bouncy hair!
DP behaving like my own personal butler (not sure how long it will last...)!
Generally, people being nice to you!

JimbosJetSet Thu 18-Oct-12 19:30:26

When we were trying to conceive for a long time, I'd look at pregnant women and want to be part of that club... It was like they all had a secret and I wanted part of it... I cannot put my finger exactly on what that 'secret' is or how to describe it, but when I finally did fall pregnant I felt very proud and privileged to finally be part of it all! I felt that way for the whole 9 months.

Does that make any sense at all?? blush

apachepony Thu 18-Oct-12 19:42:06

The kicks and twirls definitely.
Guilt free carbs - tried low carb lunch at start & made me sick so bring on the bread and pasta.
My face looks better with a bit of fat on it, and not worrying about my body right now!
Looking forward to maternity leave - think hormones are kicking in cos I felt terrified of the sleepness nights now feeling serene - until the birth I'm sur

storygirl5 Thu 18-Oct-12 19:53:56

It might be slightly painful and terrifying, but I honestly don't think anything beats that 4 am drive to the hospital when you're thinking -this is it! I'm having a(nother) baby! So exciting.

Doraemon Thu 18-Oct-12 20:16:17

Seeing how enthusiastic my boys are about another baby, having some boobs back again, and feeling justified in eating far more than 3 meals a day smile
Oh, and fantasising about all the lovely new slings I could buy....

missingmymarbles Thu 18-Oct-12 20:46:10

Aaww Jimbo I know exactly what you mean! It took us a while too. Even the 2nd time, I wanted in on the 'secret', and then felt proud and privileged when it happened - they're 7 and 14 weeks old nowgrin

besmirchedandbewildered Thu 18-Oct-12 20:52:17

How amazingly fantastically clever and brilliant my body is - I'd never really valued my body before, but there it was, springing into action all of a sudden and doing all this incredible stuff, more or less unbidden, making a person and everything.

And I really noticed when I wasn't pregnant any more how unspecial I felt, even having a lovely scrunchy newborn - people in a busy Sainsburys didn't part like the Red Sea when I didn't have the bump. maybe I should have gone to Waitrose instead

I'll never be pregnant again but I really remember that time fondly smile

Shortbutsosweet Thu 18-Oct-12 21:28:47

Boobs!
No periods for 9 months
Getting a seat on the tube and bus, loved my baby on board badge.
Seeing baby for first time on scan, first movements.
The wonderful reactions from most of my family members when I told them.
Relief that my body finally worked after 5 years of trying to get pregnant.

panicnotanymore Thu 18-Oct-12 21:44:01

Looking and feeling younger, healthier, glossier and well just better really.
People telling me I look the above grin
H being nicer to me
H doing the dog poo patrol, and taking the dogs out when it is dark or rainy (he is paranoid I will fall over)
The little put put put kicks every evening
Being hungry. I have never had a hunger sensation in my life before - I love it! I can finally see the point of food.
Everything really. I am the least maternal person on the planet, and thought pregnancy would be one step worse than death. I have found I enjoy being pregnant, it feels just lovely, and I am beyond excited about being a mum.

Doshusallie Thu 18-Oct-12 21:44:31

I LOVED being pregnant. Everything about it. I bake babies (boys anyway) very well. It,s the getting them out bit I can't do... [ hmm]

nannyl Thu 18-Oct-12 21:47:14

free dentist / prescriptions

having a baby as a result

other than that i cant see the plus points of being pg really

AlreadyScone Thu 18-Oct-12 21:50:11

...am I the only one who instantly (and perhaps selfishly) thought "Mahoosive orgasms?"

I also liked eating what I fancied and blaming cravings, blubbing with impunity at my favourite films, not having a muffin top, fingernails of steel and boobs like a dead heat in a zeppelin race

Is that pregnancy causing that already <makes mental note to not be so nice to dp> I thought hed learnt something new.

No periods is 100% my no1 best thing about being pregnant.

AlreadyScone Thu 18-Oct-12 22:10:59

hee hee State

It might be your DP's special skills... but it is also likely to be the increased er, volume of, that area.

Bollocks, best enjoy it, this is our last dc.

WerewolvesDoTheFandango Thu 18-Oct-12 22:19:03

People being super nice to you!

Seeing how excited my mum and dad are at the thought of their 1st grandchild. I was terrified of telling them (despite being 29, own house, good job, partner of 8 years).

Always getting a seat if you nip round someone's house and there aren't enough chairs!

LoisLame Thu 18-Oct-12 22:26:26

My hair lasting at least 5 days between washes. Was previously a greasy mess 1.5 days after washing.

My 2yo DD looking at the scan pictures of the baby and giving it kisses (and blowing raspberries) on my bump.

xmasevebundle Thu 18-Oct-12 22:34:47

Im very envy of all those with locks!

No periods, eating 5-10 full fat chocolate eclaires--in a row--

Seeing him for the first time and finding out what sex! i did cry like a baby

Reactions of friends and family when I told them.

Wearing comfy clothes all the time and not feeling like a slob for doing so.

DP coming to the 20 week scan with me and finding out the sex. I think it was one of the happiest moments of my life. I'll never forget the look on his face when they told us.

Maternity leave. Wahey!

People being so nice/kind all the time and showing concern about your wellbeing.

Feeling my baby move inside me.

Daydreaming about all the great memories we will build as a family and all the milestones to come.

Not worrying about weight gain. I know it's for a good cause and as long as baby is healthy that's all that matters.

An excuse to go shopping all the time and buy loads of cute things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now