Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Oh no, this is a disaster ... (light hearted, honest)

(85 Posts)
FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Tue 16-Oct-12 09:36:55

I've gone off chocolate. CHOCOLATE! shock Just looking at repulses me.

<faints>

CitrusyOne Tue 16-Oct-12 15:04:00

Queen, I'm the same! I want the satisfaction of a cup of tea but just can't face the tea itself.

Bigboy- the only thing I really drink at the mo is caffeine free diet
Coke. Or regular diet coke if I'm out. Pepsi is no good, had Pepsi max the other day and it just tasted nasty.

I'm also craving jelly- freezing cold only- that makes the little one wriggle like mad. As did sherbet lemons- that WAS entertaining!

FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Tue 16-Oct-12 15:22:21

The other night I wanted tinned ravioli. Nothing else would do. Bear in mind that I'm not in the UK and it's not widely available here. Husband managed to track some down and it was orgasmic. So he went back the next day and bought loads, which probably won't get eaten as I've gone off it again. He's says I'm worse than the cat. grin

GeordieCherry Tue 16-Oct-12 15:30:24

Usually low carb queen eating.... crumpets, white potatoes, bread, bread, bread, white pasta!

Pudgy2011 Tue 16-Oct-12 15:37:08

I went off tea and coffee in the 1st trimester and couldn't eat anything other than toast and marmite which I generally threw back up.

Hit 13 weeks and then spent the next 4 months eating nothing but carrots and spicy hummus, curry, sour haribo (yum) and beer. Knew I was having a boy before he arrived.

CollectorOfCookbooks Tue 16-Oct-12 16:18:10

I am craving a huge Chinese takeaway. I want a double portion of spare ribs in sticky sauce, then chicken balls with the sauce on the side, and some steamed rice.

I can't remember the last time I had a Chinese, it's not something I usually eat, and I'm only 5.4 weeks pregnant. So technically, is this a craving in the first place? And how am I going to hold out until Friday night, which is when DH has promised me I can have the meal of my dreams?

missingmymarbles Tue 16-Oct-12 16:29:19

I go off chocolate too when pregnantshock Making up for it now though grin
DD2 14 weekssmile

LittleLolly Tue 16-Oct-12 16:29:54

Don't hold out collector. The day my morning sickness started was exactly 6 weeks pregnant and I didn't eat a proper meal for the next 10 weeks. This baby grew out of Rice Krispies, apples and salt & vinegar crisps. Have your Chinese tonight while you want it!

MrsFruitcake Tue 16-Oct-12 16:38:18

My cravings with DD were oranges and cornflakes (My Mum was the same with me apparently) and Bakewell Tarts and I usually hate marzipan.

I went off tea completely, just the smell of it make me feel sick.

Fab1207 Tue 16-Oct-12 16:40:42

I went off coffee, chocolate & Needed hot & spicy food (which I normally can't stand)...then morning sickness kicked in & I lived on crisps & ginger ale...ah, the joys of pregnancy ;)

CollectorOfCookbooks Tue 16-Oct-12 16:41:20

I've already got morning sickness Little - except it's evening sickness.

Hmmm. I may need to revise my strategy to lunchtime! Seriously, I can't stop thinking about it. I can almost taste it.

Clarella Tue 16-Oct-12 16:50:32

That happened to me! I couldn't believe it - I am addicted to 70% and need a few squares a day - couldn't even stand in the chocolate aisle at sainsburies eventually, not feeling sick just it was as if it was a distasteful range of shell suits.

Luckily it came back at around 26 weeks ..... now I just inhale it.

ImPeppaPigOink Tue 16-Oct-12 17:33:23

I have also gone of chocolate.

I seem to like Quavers and Carrots (Quavers and carrots have to be together) and Fresh Orange Juice I could drink liters of it.

loveschocolate Tue 16-Oct-12 17:57:44

I went off chocolate and all the foods I normally love in the first trimester. My DH had to eat my birthday cookie whereas normally he'd only have a little bit before I scoffed the lot. Glad that the food aversion (to just about everything!) disappeared in the second trimester.

AngryFeet Tue 16-Oct-12 18:06:17

I hate chocolate. When pregnant with dd i ate a whole tub of belgian chocolate haagen daas nearly every night. Cue me putting on 4.5 stone. Best your way i think.

zigwig Tue 16-Oct-12 18:45:45

Totally the same with going off tea which makes me sad as I used to live on it, and loving diet coke when I never used to.

Chocolate I can take or leave, but I'm loving cake. Pretty much any kind of sponge cake. I have to stop myself buying it or it'll be all gone instantly. I have a cake baby...

minesapackofminstrels Tue 16-Oct-12 19:00:36

When I was pg with ds1 I went off chocolate which is so unlike me. I just had no desire to eat it at all. But once I'd had him and I mean it was within 3 hours post delivery max I had this huge desire for chocolate again. I sent dh to the hospital shop for some. Funnily enough he's not that bothered about chocolate even now.

My first pregnancy mushrooms absolutely turned my stomach-even walking past the grocers and smelling them was enough to set me off. Right up until the baby was born.

2nd pregnancy I couldn't eat enough cheddar cheese. I had it on everything.

JustFabulous Tue 16-Oct-12 19:08:17

With DS1 I had tomatoes on toast nearly every day. Bread, sliced tomatoes on top, drizzle of olive oil, balck pepper then under the grill for a few minutes. Absolutely gorgeous. DS1 is 11 and still likes tomatoes. Didn't eat any junk at all until the last month where I really wanted sweets so had jelly teddies.

With DD I wanted cake, toast, biscuits. She is now 9 and quite fussy though getting better.

With DS2 - you are joking aren't you if you think I can remember when I had 2 other kids to look after! grin. He is a good eater though.

nicki1978 Tue 16-Oct-12 19:13:22

I completely went off Garlic!

I absolutely love garlic normally so was devestated when out for a curry and i couldn't have my garlic chicken shahi balti and garlic naan!

We couldn't even have it in the house, it just turned my stomach so bad, lol xx

Lionsntigersnbears Tue 16-Oct-12 19:30:42

Another chocolate widow here. I realised that I was probably pregnant when I had some and it tasted like earwax (not that I've ever eaten earwax!). Also went off red meat when pregnant with DD (now 2) and have never managed to get a mouthful down since. Maybe this preg. will turn me vegan :-)

catgirl1976 Tue 16-Oct-12 19:42:43

I went pure mental for pink lady apples and cornettos

BikeRunSki Tue 16-Oct-12 19:50:25

I couldn't bear anything sweet in either pg. It was Mini Cheddars and grapefruit juice the whole way.

louisdog Tue 16-Oct-12 19:57:17

I went through a stage of making OH get me chicken saag from the takeaway and I'd eat in bed. Then there was the day I walked out of Waitrose with 2 carrier bags of red meat - went through a bit of a carnivorous phase!

Then I went off food, then discovered these frozen vegetable pies which were delicious, OH filled freezer with them and I suddenly went right off them!

I developed a craving for bacon sarnies in bed in the middle of the night too (I got these myself while OH snored away lol!)

Also had to ration diet coke as was still addicted to it.

breathedeeply Tue 16-Oct-12 20:30:22

I was severely anaemic with all 4 pregnancies (at one stage my hb dropped to 6). Iron tablets made no difference. My mum, aunt, grandma and sister were the same.
Nevertheless, i was still taken aback when I started craving limestone, chalk and earth. Walking through the old cemetery on the way to town, I found myself salivating over the flakes of stone dropping off old graves. I bought chalk and sucked it, and once, when walking in a wet wood, I really had to stop myself from picking up a handful of soft earth and eating it.
Pls note: - this only ever happened between weeks 28-40 of pregnancy. I have no desire to eat anything unusual normally!

It will pass flaminNora having previously gone off it myself, I stuffed my face with quality street today. And didnt feel sick or throw up. I'm very pleased with myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now