Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stretch Mark Cream: What works (or waste of money)??

(103 Posts)
Cupcake83 Fri 27-Jan-12 11:58:10

Ok so I am pregnant with #1, about 9 weeks or so according to Dr Google.

In a vain attempt to prevent stretch marks I have been lathering Bio Oil and Palmers cocoa butter (not together) all over my boobs, back, hips and tum for a while and wanted to see what others are using/have used in the past and most importantly if they are any good smile

I'm aware that regardless of what I smother myself in I may still end up with stretch marks - but at least I tried right???

Elenashephard Thu 14-Nov-13 10:06:28

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Cariad007 Tue 08-Oct-13 17:53:58

I've read that if you're going to get stretch marks you're going to get them, and all the creams and oils in the world won't help. Having said that, I'm still willing to try a few preventative measures! I've just been sticking with Palmer's Cocoa Butter. They also market a special stretch mark cream but I've had a look at the ingredient list on that and it isn't any different to their regular cocoa butter lotion, although twice the price!

Bodicea Tue 08-Oct-13 17:04:39

I used bio oil at first but then fell in love with the mamamio tummy rub oil. It smells an feels lovely and I did get a comment off the midwife on my "lovely skin" which is stretch mark free at 35 weeks - it does feel nice and soft which considering I get excema is an achievement.
I also take fish oils every day - efalex, mum omega or pregnacare - whatever is on offer and think that that could be a factor in it too.

BurbGirl2013 Tue 08-Oct-13 15:14:14

Cowshed- Udderly Gorgeous Stretchmark balm in big round pot.

Amazing!! Am 32 weeks and it will last me despite lathering it on every night. So far- massive bump & not 1 stretch mark. Its gorgeous texture and smells amazing...as my mums says- people say creams might not work but it's like oiling old leather, it can only help keep it taut & smooth!

If a friend gets pg will def buy this as a gift.

Solasum Tue 08-Oct-13 14:51:09

Just to say that Primark (at least both the ones I have been to in London) had loads of BioOil last weekend around the till and in the random bits section (where they have water bottles, gloves etc.) for only £6 for 200ml.

Worth a try if you are a fan and don't want to pay the RRP of £20.

comfyonesie2 Tue 08-Oct-13 14:15:04

Someone told me exfoliating can help as it helps to stimulate collagen production. I scrub daily with one of those rough sponge-things & use Palmers cream. Worked in my 2 previous pregnancies so fingers crossed this time too! Probably there is a genetic factor, but I got stretch marks on my hips, boobsand legs during puberty, so I like to think I'm doing something right to avoid them in pregnancy grin

SkinOverhaul Tue 08-Oct-13 09:44:46

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

frankiepoppet Fri 15-Mar-13 15:37:01

Unfortunately, it doesn't really matter if no woman ever in your family had stretch marks during pregnancy. It's your body that determines it.

My mum didn't have a single stretch mark during all three of her pregnancies and didn't use a drop of cream or oil (bare in mind her youngest is 20 yrs old and oldest is 26 yrs old so all these potions weren't around then)
However, I am 31weeks pregnant and only just started getting stretch marks and I use cream and oils everyday. I also don't really have a huge bump, it is small and round and I haven't put on any weight.

It is just one of those things. I will continue to use cream and oils for the rest of my pregnancy to minimise the amount of stretch marks but you just have to accept that it is highly likely you will develop stretch marks probably in the last half of your pregnancy.

Ivvu6 Tue 05-Feb-13 16:32:43

I´m 38 weeks and have been using Palmer Strech Mark cream in the mornings and Boots own Stretch Mark Oli in the evenings. Its much cheaper than bio oil and does the same job( got no stretch marks yet)

catladycourtney1 Tue 05-Feb-13 11:14:03

Based on a vague knowledge of how bodies work, I would say that no cream or oil will prevent stretch marks if you're genetically pre-disposed to get them, and so if your close relatives have them, spending loads of money on lotions and potions will be a waste of money. However, using a good-quality moisturiser certainly can't hurt, and will help with the itchiness and dryness.

Your best bet is to drink lots and lots of water, and to eat plenty of vitamin and mineral-rich foods and healthy fats. But bear in mind that this will work better if you've been doing it all your life, rather than starting during pregnancy, and it also won't prevent them completely in everyone. Some people will get them no matter what they do, and some people never get them at all.

It's also worth mentioning that if you already have them, you're likely to get more (because the skin in that area is already stretched past its limit), and things like being overweight can make them more likely, because your skin is already stretched more than that of someone who isn't.

sundaesundae Tue 05-Feb-13 10:58:05

I'm using nothing, not even moisturising and don't eat fish, I have none yet, 33+4

redandyellowandpinkandgreen Tue 05-Feb-13 10:43:14

I got none which may have been luck but I used Burt Bees mama bee oil and I'm going to buy it again this time. I also ate a lot of nuts and seeds and oily fish and I think that may be the key.

Oh, also OP - don't forget to cream your bum!! My mum never did hers, thinking it was unaffected, and it's the only place she got them post pregnancy!!

Using cocoa butter once or twice a day, now huge at 35 weeks and got no stretch marks in sight! Good for me as I already had a few previous stretch marks from when I lost lots of weight as a teenager, so knew I was prone to them.

Still got a few weeks to go til I can be sure though!!

Looandoscar Tue 05-Feb-13 07:17:13

I think some people just get them and others don't. My friend bought me a pregnancy oil from a brand called Neom, and I used it all the time, i thought it was fab. It worked for me and smelt lovely - highly recommend it. Think it was called Cocoon oil but they do other ones too which I fancy trying.

leannac Fri 28-Dec-12 19:53:57

I'd say waste of money. I religiously lathered on bio oil in my 1st pregnancy & was very pleased as a result I didn't get any stretch Marks. I'm now 32wks with 2nd, have only put any kind of lotion or oil on once in past 32 weeks & not a stretch mark in sight. Plus I'm HUGE. I think it must be just genetics. As must the fact that my arse immediately doubles in size the second I am pregnant!

pamperedtobits Fri 28-Dec-12 17:32:41

Waste of money - cocoa butter, bio oil.
Well worth the money - mummies with tummies oil, skinception argan oil

I am having my third baby and am desperate to avoid more stretch marks. Stupidly I used bio-oil and cocoa butter for the first two pregnancies. I currently use mummies with tummies due to it being cheaper than skinception. It also slightly edges it out since it is not as greasy and has a nicer aroma. Both are excellent though and I would strongly recommend any one of them if you want to avoid stretch marks.

Hpbp Wed 14-Mar-12 08:58:56

Sweet almond oil, cheap, smell lovely and works....
Enjoy your bump

confuzed90 Wed 14-Mar-12 08:34:09

I believe they make a difference..with my first I hardly used them..mustve only been a couple of times..I got them. When I'm pregnant my weight gain seems to be my legs and bum. So I have them quite bad on my legs top and calves, which was from my first pregnancy they have now near enough gone. I felt confident wearing hotpants and what not! Couldn't see them.Lol.I'm now 34 weeks into my second and have been using bio-oil and cocoa butter as well as dove moisturiser near enough everyday and voila NO NEW marks :D and my old ones haven't gone red or anything from stretching..still have time though so fingers are crossed!

Midgetm Tue 13-Mar-12 21:54:57

I has sm's before when I lost weight so def prone to them but used bio and palmers with DD and didn't get a single new one.

Loboo Tue 13-Mar-12 21:46:55

I have always suffered stretch marks through my teens and pregnancies. During my third pregnancy I have been taking Pregnacare fish oil every day and have seen a huge difference in my skin. I've never eaten fish or supplemented before, so this led me to wonder whether fish oil can help prevent stretch marks and I found this website:

http://kellycolby.com/blog/health/preventing-stretch-marks/

I am definitely going to try this as my stretch marks have got worse each pregnancy. I've tried mamma mio, bio oil, palmers etc... so hoping internal treatment might help??

ItsOkItsJustMyBreath Sun 29-Jan-12 15:07:27

My doctor told me during an examination of my bump at about 26 weeks that I was lucky because I had the type of skin that meant I wouldn't get any, I thought he was just being nice but it was true.
I used bio oil and now cannot bear the smell of it, yuk! I think it really is a genetic thing unfortunately.

Congrats and enjoy your bump whatever happens smile

Meglet Sat 28-Jan-12 22:55:22

I think genetics plays a part. Neither my mum or either of my grandmothers had stretchmarks. I didn't get any at all, although my DC's came out at 37 weeks and 39 weeks, may have been different if I'd gone overdue.

Whilst I put on almost 3 stone during both my pregnancies I did use bio-oil, drink loads of water and eat plenty of olive oil, nuts, salads etc. Mind you, I did sunbathe quite a bit too but my stomach still looks ok.

Golgafrincham Sat 28-Jan-12 22:42:58

*raspberry

Golgafrincham Sat 28-Jan-12 22:42:05

I had my first DC last June, and I'm no spring chicken. My mum had stretch marks on her tum, boobs and thighs from her pregnancies, so with this info and my age taken into account, I'd assumed I was likely to as well. I used plain old olive oil until I was eight months PG, then used the Covent Garden stretch mark oil that was in a gift pack I got from someone. Didn't get any stretch marks and saved a considerable sum by not buying Bio Oil (I spent this on rasberry ripple ice cream instead grin).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now