Potty training sabotaged by chicken pox!

(4 Posts)
AngryGnome Sat 26-Jan-13 20:47:00

Thanks for the replies - that was pretty much my gut feeling but I thought I'd check what others thought. We'll keep going at home then, and then fingers crossed once he is properly well, he will pick it up again.

That's a good idea about using the at home days to really push e putty training forward - also as it will be DH having to do it, as it will be his turn to have the week off work next week to look after himwink

greensnail Sat 26-Jan-13 20:32:15

I would keep going. You might have a couple of bad days, but once they get to the stage where they're feeling much better but still spotty so needing to stay at home you'll get the perfect opportunity to stay at home and really focus on the potty training.

I managed to potty train both my children while we were stuck at home with chicken pox although in our case dd1 trained while dd2 had the pox and dd2 trained whiledd1 had the pox.

LittleChimneyDroppings Sat 26-Jan-13 20:23:26

No don't put him back in nappies. Just don't. I made the mistake of doing that and we had to start pot training all over again. It took 6 months to get him dry when he had previously been pretty much dry.

AngryGnome Sat 26-Jan-13 20:18:39

DS is 2 and 2 months. I had planned to wait until summer to start potty training, but about 6 weeks ago he wanted to start using his potty so I decided to go with the flow. After one day he was completely dry at home, including during daytime naps. He was struggling with letting us know if he needed the potty in time when we were out and about, so he had a few accidents (including a notable poo explosion in the reptile house at local zoo blush). However, he did start to get better and more reliable and I thought we were pretty much done.

Then chicken pox started on Monday and bam. He is ill, so I don't expect him to be able to remember/be able to control his need to have a wee/poo, but not quite sure how to handle it. Should I put put him back in nappies, or will that just confuse him and set him back to square one? Should I just persevere without them and accept we are going to have to burn the carpet?

Any mumsnet wisdom kindly received!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now