ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Potty trained for a year but now having little accidents

(19 Posts)
Biscuitsandtinsel Thu 20-Dec-12 18:19:08

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could give me any advice? DS1 (4.2) has been potty trained day and night for over a year now. He still has the odd wee accident, but maybe once every 2 or 3 months - I think that is quite normal for this sort of age? You know, when they're distracted or v tired etc.

Anyway, up until this week it had been all fine. Then this week we've had a few incidences of 'I need a wee', go to the loo but then there is no wee, and we had a proper full on accident at the end of last week. However, the accident was in front of the loo so he had been on his way but just couldn't get trousers down etc in time. So, had it just been the accident is have thought 'fine, he's tired out by all this Christmas stuff' and forgotten about it. But then the 'mystery disappearing wees' made me think maybe it was a water infection? So we did a urine sample for the doctor on Monday. She dipped it and it came up clean but they were going to send it to the lab anyway (we've not heard back about that yet)

Anyhoooo (apologies for rambling) yesterday and today we've had 3 'little leaks' where he starts doing a wee and then has to stop, so a little leak in his pants and then gets to the toilet to finish it. This happened once yesterday at about 6;30 and then has just happened twice in the last hour or so confused

So, any ideas if it isn't a water infection? And what should I do?

Don't know if it is relevant but he has also been constipated for a while. He was on lactulose for a week or so with no effect and has been on Movicol for a few days. This has made him at least poo every day although it is still quite hard. Could it be related?

Thank you if you've managed to get to the bottom of my rambling post! smilethanks

nextphase Thu 20-Dec-12 18:36:55

Interesting.
my 3.7 is also dry day and night, but today were on the third pair of trousers. I was putting it done to exhaustion after the first term of preschool, and excitement over Christmas. Will have to keep an eye on things if water infection is a possibility.

Sorry, not much help there! but your not alone.

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Thu 20-Dec-12 18:40:44

I'd be on the phone to the Drs.

I don't think accidents are 'quite normal' for a 4 year old who has been out of nappies for over a year, unless their is a major life change or they are unwell etc.

I've never had movicol cause an issue with weeing, but that's not to say it doesn't.

Hope you can get it sorted soon, it's not fun for either of you sad

GreenOlives Thu 20-Dec-12 18:46:36

Hi Biscuits smile
Constipation can put pressure on the bladder which may be why a little bit of wee is dribbling out before DS gets to the toilet. This is more likely to happen if he is the sort of child that waits until the last minute before going to the toilet (like my DS!) If he did have an infection it would usually be apparent on the dipstick test but I would chase the proper results from the doctor just to confirm there's nothing else going on.

Biscuitsandtinsel Thu 20-Dec-12 18:48:31

I think I will phone the docs tomorrow to see if they've had an answer back from the lab - if it comes back clear they probably wouldn't phone would they?

I thought it was pretty common for kids to have an odd accident when very distracted or tired? Maybe I should be more worried?

Biscuitsandtinsel Thu 20-Dec-12 18:51:49

Thanks olives smile I have one of those all bran loaves in the oven as we speak grin

EdgarAllanPond Thu 20-Dec-12 18:54:51

every two to three months is hardly common, though the constipation could well be the cause.

if he is at school/ nursery it can be really easy for them to get distracted and leave it too late also.

Biscuitsandtinsel Thu 20-Dec-12 18:59:41

Do you mean it isn't common for it to happen that often, or it isn't that often to be having accidents iyswim? I would say it's probably when he is super tired so from memory I can recall a couple of occasions in the past 6 months where he's had accidents but they've been at home not pre school. Almost alway near bedtime. He was quite slow potty training so accidents were every month or so until probably march of this year, And then probably 2-3 accidents since then before this recent little run of things. Does that sound too much?

ReindeerHooves Thu 20-Dec-12 19:09:47

This sounds exactly like what's been happening with my 3.3yo, who's been reliably dry during the day for about 6 months. Like you I took a sample to the doctor who did a dip test, no positive result. She would do a small wee in her pants and then stop, do the "I need a wee" dance and I'd send her to the toilet to finish the job as it were. This went on for a week or so, three or four times a day.

Last week she got an ear infection, so back to the doctor. He said she had a chest infection as well poor love, and it was entirely possible that her bladder had been harbouring an infection but for some reason the test was negative - possibly because it was brewing slowly. He said she was, and I quote, "A seething mass of bacteria" and prescribed antibiotics. Within two days she was fine and the accidents stopped.

Definitely take him back, chase the results and get him tested again if it carries on.

Biscuitsandtinsel Thu 20-Dec-12 19:13:02

Ah that's interesting - thanks - glad your dd is no longer a seething mass of bacteria grin

GreenOlives Thu 20-Dec-12 19:42:17

In my opinion an occasional accident is par for the course with young children - particularly when they're tired or engrossed in play! When my DS has one he just dribbles a little bit in his pants before dashing to the loo to finish off! It drives me made because he's so fidgety and keeps grabbing his willy for a good half hour beforehand with me saying "are you sure you don't need a wee" smile My friends little boy had a similar episode to your DS a few weeks ago, a fortnight of "accidents" which she was certain was an infection (it wasn't) and then it stopped as suddenly as it started - no apparent reason ever found! And another friends 7 year old girl did the same after 4 years of being dry - told her mum she was "too busy" to go to the toilet so came home from school with wet knickers every day for over a week! shock Again it stopped with no apparent reason ever found! They're complicated creatures these kids! grin
Hope the All Bran loaf tastes good - that will help with DS's constipation! grin

Biscuitsandtinsel Fri 21-Dec-12 10:39:59

So the doctors say no infection - I'd best hope it's just one of those things that suddenly stops! Hopefully once the constipation is sorted normal service will resume.

BTW Olives he liked the bran loaf so much that when he was drinking his Movicol (which I have to give him a treat to make him drink it) he said 'this cake is so nice I might have that for my treat' grin Then he realised he already had the cake so backtracked and said he wanted a chocolate button but he must like it! The crust came out quite chewy on mine but he likes the inside bit grin

EdgarAllanPond Fri 21-Dec-12 12:41:24

i mean it is not ununsual for a four year old to have the odd accident.

they are small and don't plan ahead sufficiently to always wee at the appropriate time.

Despite being cast iron whilst at home, DD started having accidents after school because she didn't go for a wee all afternoon then really really needs to when she comes out (25 mins walk from home!) not unusual.

RillaBlythe Fri 21-Dec-12 12:47:35

yes to what edgar said. My DD has been dry night & day for over 2 years now (she's 4.6) but since she has started school we have had a couple of accidents. She is too busy/distracted to go & leaves it until she is bursting - the accidents are always in front of the toilet as she struggles to get her tights down. Frustrating but normal.

Biscuitsandtinsel Fri 21-Dec-12 12:49:09

Ah thank you smile

So hopefully it is just a combination of maybe the constipation blocking everything up, and being a bit tired with all the Christmas excitement etc.

I shall persevere with Movicol (which is helping - we're up to one poo a day - yay!) and hope it all works itself out smile

<buries head in sand grin>

Biscuitsandtinsel Fri 21-Dec-12 16:36:42

Oh FFS, another accident sad

Saw him holding his willy, sent him to the loo and he still managed to not get there in time and wee all over he floor and his clothes. Plus he couldn't stop this one so it was a full on wee sad

Biscuitsandtinsel Fri 21-Dec-12 16:55:51

I think DS feels sad about it as he went up to get clean clothes and when I went up he'd got into bed sad. I asked him if there was a reason he didn't want to go to the toilet and he just said that his bottom might get messy if he did a wee. I asked if he meant it would get messy if he did a poo but he meant a wee confused. I can't quite work out what the problem is sad. I don't want to push it too much though because it might be making a bigger issue of it when it might be something that will go on its own hmm.

I'm not really sure what to do?

DewDr0p Fri 21-Dec-12 16:58:37

OP I am in a bit of a rush but look at the ERIC website - loads of good advice.

Biscuitsandtinsel Fri 21-Dec-12 17:02:53

Thanks - will check it out smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now