How I was treated by Tesco for putting my son on the potty!

(280 Posts)
bubble30 Tue 10-Jul-12 20:34:14

My son turned 2 in May and we are mid potty training. Been in to places like Boots and M&S and got fold away potty out in store for my son to have a wee. I've also used it in Tesco with no complaints from them. This morning I went in and my son was crying 'wee wee'. Got him out of the buggy and put him on the potty - I wasn't in the middle of an aisle and went t clothes section where we'd be more hidden away as that section was close by to us. My son did a wee but come to get him back in the buggy and he had the most hideous tantrum. Once I got himm back in the buggy, I stood up to find 2 members of managerial staff stood over me. They told me that there was a toilet in the store where I should have taken my son to. I explained that he's just started potty training and when he needs a wee it has to be then and there and I don't have time to get him to a toilet. They told me they undestood that but that there was a toilet I should really have used. So again I explained that I don't have time to get him to the toilet. The woman then said 'it's not nice for our customers to see, it's not nice for your son and now you've just caused a big scene in the store'. I said 'well now you've made me feel absolutely rubbish' and they both walked off. I walked out of the store but thought 'no I'm not having that' and I went back and gave it to them both barrels that I was disgusted with the way I'd been treated, I'd been talked to very rudely and spoken to like I was a child myself. The senior manager came down and was very apologetic and I asked her of Tescos policy was that if there's a mother with a tantrumming child, do you train your staff to go over and tell the mother she's created a big scene in the store. She was very apologetic about the way I'd been treated. I'm still fuming. I've used the portable potty in other shops without complaints and I've seen other mums do the same in shops too - that's the whole purpose of the portable potty being invented. I just wanted people to know how badly Tesco have acted in this instance towards a mother potty training her 2 year old. Can anyone else recommend best places to post to make sure Tesco know I'm letting people know about this? Thanks.

I don't blame them.

mumnosbest Tue 10-Jul-12 20:43:02

Why not use pull ups. Teach ds he has to wait while you rush to the toilet. He needs to learn bladder control too.

HecateHarshPants Tue 10-Jul-12 20:43:15

I agree with dropdead. Pullups.

It is nasty to put your child on a potty in the middle of a shop. yuk. just... yuk.

When potty training a child, you are teaching them to get to a toilet! It is far more reasonable to rush them to the loo in store, wearing their pull ups - and if they don't make it they don't make it. It isn't reasonable to put them on a potty and have them take a wee in the middle of ruddy tesco, honestly it's not.

Sidge Tue 10-Jul-12 20:43:18

That's grim.

I wouldn't wee in the middle of Tesco so I don't see why it's OK for a child to do so - if he can't hold on long enough to run to the toilet then put him in a nappy when you're out.

What are you going to do - carry a potty full of wee or poo through a supermarket?

GoldenGreen Tue 10-Jul-12 20:43:23

The woman was factually correct in what she said to you. It isn't nice, and you said yourself that you went in and gave them both barrels, which sounds like you made a scene. Definitely with Tesco on this.

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 10-Jul-12 20:43:47

Like Seeker loathe as I am to side with tescos I have to in this instance.

BettySuarez Tue 10-Jul-12 20:43:56

lauruefairycake grin

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 10-Jul-12 20:44:07

Sorry but YABU.

I have potty trained our 2 ds's and have never used a potty in a shop.

I would be pretty disgusted if I saw somebody doing what you did, and I would have words with them myself.

The timing of the staff speaking to you was unfortunate, but that really wasn't their fault.

MrsMuddyPuddles Tue 10-Jul-12 20:44:34

I see their point, too, though there are 2 seperate issues.

1. You need to not have your son wee where other people are buying their food. In your own kitchen, fine whatever, it's your food, but people are funny about bodily wastes in most this country... If this means that he wets himself, then he wets himself and you have to change him.

2. The tantrum. Them saying "you have caused a big scene" was VVU.

That said, they probably would have pointed out the loo ANYWAY as the only reason they would have stood over you is if someone had complained.

Pozzled Tue 10-Jul-12 20:45:07

I think that if a child can't wait a minute or two to get to a toilet, then either they should still be at home, or they shouldn't be potty training at all. Most books I've read recommend not going out for the first few days.

I wouldn't mind seeing a child using a potty outside, but it's not very nice to see it in a shop.

newlark Tue 10-Jul-12 20:45:18

I'm sure Tesco would rather you use the portable potty rather than have a puddle of wee on the floor. Having said that, I avoided shops when dd was at this stage of potty training or tried to ensure she had just been - it is quite a short period of time when you need to use the portable potty there and then to avoid an accident on the floor and I always tried to leave the store and find a quiet corner outdoors for the portable potty if there wasn't a loo available in the store. Very rude of the staff though!

Rubirosa Tue 10-Jul-12 20:45:21

I have never seen someone put a child on a potty in the middle of a shop!

I'm sorry but they were right, it's grim and no one else wants to see it. Take your child to the toilet in future, or use pull-ups when out.

MotionOfTheOcean Tue 10-Jul-12 20:45:48

Sorry OP but are you taking the pissgrin

catinboots Tue 10-Jul-12 20:45:51

YABVVVVU

ShirleyKnot Tue 10-Jul-12 20:46:24

And just turned 2 is quite little for PT I think. (I can't remember but I'm sure I left my boys until they were 2.5 at least!)

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

littleducks Tue 10-Jul-12 20:46:49

Like everyone else I think you should have dashed to the toilet, once there I think it is acceptable to jump the queue or even use (shock) the disabled toilet really quickly if other cubicles are filled. It is not acceptable to use a potty on the shop floor.

I have trained lots of 2yr olds and would suggest you get him to try and go when you arrive at a new place (ue before starting a big shop)

topknob Tue 10-Jul-12 20:46:51

I am going to ask you why you are potty training at just turned 2??? Why not wait til they are able to hold it a bit longer and use pull ups !

Woofsaidtheladybird Tue 10-Jul-12 20:46:56

I agree. I have potty trained my DD recently. I actually stayed in and bit the bullet (yes I went mad, but still) and either shopped online or luckily I have a DH who got the groceries. IF we went out, I made her wee just as we were leaving and then wee when we got there, and always know where the toilets are. I wouldn't appreciate someone whipping out a portable potty in a supermarket, even if you did hide near the clothes. And if you had time to hide near the clothes, why not find the time to get to the loo? AND during all your flouncing to and from the store, what WAS happening to the wee in the potty? Swishing all over the place? Yuck!

WicketyPitch Tue 10-Jul-12 20:47:07

sorry.. i never needed a port a potty with either of mine.. what you did was unpleasant and unhygenic and you are being very unreasonable.

PedanticPanda Tue 10-Jul-12 20:48:02

I completely see their point, yabu.

Melindaaa Tue 10-Jul-12 20:48:21

Letting a child pee in the middle of a shop is disgusting. YWBU. I have potty trained 4 children and have never needed to do that.

trixymalixy Tue 10-Jul-12 20:48:45

Ewwwwwww. YABU. They were totally in the right.

CurrySpice Tue 10-Jul-12 20:48:49

I have a feeling we may not see the OP again

BabsJansen Tue 10-Jul-12 20:48:57

Entitled parenting.

I expect you would let them use the potty in a restaurant too?

Not nice and if I had seen you I would have said so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now