How I was treated by Tesco for putting my son on the potty!

(280 Posts)
bubble30 Tue 10-Jul-12 20:34:14

My son turned 2 in May and we are mid potty training. Been in to places like Boots and M&S and got fold away potty out in store for my son to have a wee. I've also used it in Tesco with no complaints from them. This morning I went in and my son was crying 'wee wee'. Got him out of the buggy and put him on the potty - I wasn't in the middle of an aisle and went t clothes section where we'd be more hidden away as that section was close by to us. My son did a wee but come to get him back in the buggy and he had the most hideous tantrum. Once I got himm back in the buggy, I stood up to find 2 members of managerial staff stood over me. They told me that there was a toilet in the store where I should have taken my son to. I explained that he's just started potty training and when he needs a wee it has to be then and there and I don't have time to get him to a toilet. They told me they undestood that but that there was a toilet I should really have used. So again I explained that I don't have time to get him to the toilet. The woman then said 'it's not nice for our customers to see, it's not nice for your son and now you've just caused a big scene in the store'. I said 'well now you've made me feel absolutely rubbish' and they both walked off. I walked out of the store but thought 'no I'm not having that' and I went back and gave it to them both barrels that I was disgusted with the way I'd been treated, I'd been talked to very rudely and spoken to like I was a child myself. The senior manager came down and was very apologetic and I asked her of Tescos policy was that if there's a mother with a tantrumming child, do you train your staff to go over and tell the mother she's created a big scene in the store. She was very apologetic about the way I'd been treated. I'm still fuming. I've used the portable potty in other shops without complaints and I've seen other mums do the same in shops too - that's the whole purpose of the portable potty being invented. I just wanted people to know how badly Tesco have acted in this instance towards a mother potty training her 2 year old. Can anyone else recommend best places to post to make sure Tesco know I'm letting people know about this? Thanks.

EmpressOfTheSevenFlames Mon 06-Aug-12 19:37:43

Read the last couple of pages, Ophelia. Bubbles has had a thorough flaming and accepted it with immense grace and good humour. She accepted that SWBU so don't have a go at her.

perceptionreality Sat 11-Aug-12 13:16:33

Glad to see this thread ended well. I think it was reasonable to be upset that they told you off for your ds having a tantrum though - tantrums are a separate issue.

tetherendtoo Thu 23-Aug-12 09:31:36

just saw this post and good for you at getting your cherub to actually ask to go wee. who cares where it is . my dd asked in the middle of clarks shoe shop as older ds was being fitted for school shoes! i whipped out the full size potty (she hates the portable one ) and when other mums were glaring i calmly wiped her bottom, wrapped the whole lot in kitchen roll and poly bag, gave her a huge hug and went back to the shoe fitting. the assistant didn't bat an eyelid thanks to her. tesco, asda, whatever- needs must and it can be done hygenically as long as you are prepared. just ignore those with faces that look like a dog's bottom.

Angelik Tue 25-Sep-12 21:02:08

Ignore all the bloody 'I stayed at home until my chidren went to uni' martyrs. You did the best you could. I'd rather see a little one using a potty than weeing on the floor. All children are different and learn at different rates and all children have times when they've just got to go. Likewise not all mums can 'run' to the nearest loos. I hope you haven't felt down by some of these comments. I hope the training is going well. You've nothing to reproach yourself for.

terror4Atoddler Wed 26-Sep-12 19:23:47

Are you people crazy! i dont see any problem with that, when a toddler has togo their is no holding it, and frankly thats unhealthy. i have a 2yr 9month we carry the portable potty everywhere, if a toilet is not available then i will find a suitable place to the side and crouch round her. i haven't personally used it in a shop YET, but some of those tesco stores are huge and a distance to the toilet. i know lets let a toddler make a puddle on the floor because thats sooooo much more hygenic!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now