Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

mini-pill (cerazette specifically) and depression/anxiety side-effects - a warning! Please read..

(309 Posts)
RedFraggle Sat 29-Sep-07 16:44:42

After my horrendous experience with a mini-pill I felt I had to post this here as well as on the feeling depressed board.

I had my DS three months ago and after initial baby blues was starting to feel better. Went for my 8 week postnatal check and was prescribed Cerazette (the mini-pill) as I am breastfeeding. After about a week I started to feel really miserable and paranoid, gradually got worse until I could no longer face taking my kids out for the day as I just didn't feel I could cope.
Carried on getting worse to the point I was suicidal and kept thinking about harming myself or my baby. Spent a lot of time sitting with him and my DD throwing tearful wobblers and me sitting on the floor crying too!
Asked my HV for help and she got me a Doctors appointment - my HADS score was extremely high and I was put on anti-depressants, they started to kick in (although the side-effects were horrid) and I felt a bit more normal and so popped on to here for a look about. i hadn't felt up to even doing that for weeks! I saw a post about cerazette and mood swings and alarm bells rang. Googled Cerazette and anxiety/depression and found lots of stuff. I spoke to my doctor and came off all medication and lo and behold - I am totally fine again! Cerazette made me so mentally unstable, it was terrifying. I have had it yellow carded and suggest anyone else with similar issues speaks to their GP and does the same.
The fact that this pill is being heavily marketed to doctors at the moment (according to my HV) means more people are likely to be prescribed it, and at a time when they have just had a baby and therefore their side-effect symptoms could easily be confused with PND.
If you have recently had a baby and were feeling ok but suddenly start to feel bad or not yourself shortly after starting a mini-pill it might be worth considering changing or stopping medication to just rule out a link. Check with your doctor first of course!!!

Imawurzel Thu 06-Mar-08 11:54:06

I've just been given these pills due to b/feeding too.
I am normally a happy/relaxed kinda gal, but do have moments of ''agh'ness', so i wll keep a mental note of any strangeness.
Will tell DH and mum to keep an eye on me too.

iggypop Thu 13-Mar-08 16:14:16

I am so glad I read these messages! I have been on Cerazette for about 3 years now and I have become increasingly anxious about things. I am normally a relaxed non-worryer, but just lately I have had an underlying feeling of anxiety even when there is nothing to worry about. When my daughter just has a cold now I blow it out of proportion. what made me really think "this is not natural" is last night when watching a programme about house rennovations I began to worry about a crack in someone's wall! It was after that that I looked up this web site. I am stopping using Cerazette from today and intend to use alternative. I just hope my libido returns! (hmm)

bexiebabe Sat 22-Mar-08 22:09:48

I am utterly amazed by all your stories.
My son is 18 months and i have been on Cerazette for 5 monthsand recently i have become very depressed with horrid thoughts of harming myself or others. I had the same kind of feeling with PND but it had 95% gone before i started the pill. I have too been having horrific mood swings, put on weight (about 1 stone) and panic attacks. (not my usual self). I do not want any more kids (two already) and am worried that i will get pregnant even if we use condoms as they are less reliable! Any thoughts on this decision???

Rebecca

RedFraggle Sun 23-Mar-08 18:21:23

I have been using condoms since deciding to come off this pill. It's not ideal but I won't risk going back on a pill after the horrid experience I had. I am contemplating the mirena coil - but I will want to discuss it with my doctor first. Not sure what others are doing - any advice welcomed!

peachygirl Mon 24-Mar-08 17:11:49

I've been lurking on this thread as I was given cerezette when I couldn't remember which pill I was on previously.( new doctor and no records) I have also had horrific mood swings.
Before I got pregnant I did natural family planning I was trainedat the clinic. Temped and checked discharge (sorry blushTMI) and used a persona machine. I'm going to go back to this and use condoms too if necessary.

iggypop Thu 03-Apr-08 20:41:25

Well, I have been off cerazette now for 2/3 weeks and I feel a lot better already! My libido has returned, it's like being given a toy I forgot I had!!! I feel more level headed. One of the previous messages commented on terrible thoughts of harming herself or others, I had those thoughts and they have gone now. I just feel more normal again and relaxed. As for contraception - a tricky one, using sheath at mo.

katyt1 Sat 12-Apr-08 14:16:35

omg, so sorry for all of you suffering/who have suffered these side effects
i have just started taking cerazette (day 3), having had ds2 11 weeks ago and bfding.
no weird signs as yet but will tell dh to keep an eye out for weird behaviour.
plus my libido was zilch since having ds2 anyway so not sure if i'll notice blush.

lexilex Fri 20-Jun-08 22:03:30

hi ive just found this, i have been on this mini pill for a while now but also on anti-depressants, i went on anti-d's about 2 months after going on the mini pill, but i have a history of depression and was going through a really bad time with my family (again!) so just thought i had got me again, this has really got me thinking and have now made a docs app. i really didnt make any connection until reading this, ill let you know what the doctor has to say about it.

Eriu Thu 26-Jun-08 11:31:17

I have been on cerezete now for 3 weeks, I am suffering on and off bleeding ( 5 days on one day off and then back on) Im weepy have pelvic discomfort when I am not bleeding I have very little natural lubrication, My boobs feel like Ive had them in a vice and Im queezy.

I have 4 children and this is the firt time I have tried a CP, my Gyno said it was the best for me as Im a smoker.

I have booked myself into the gyno for next wednesday to hopefully get an answer , but if the bleeding has not stopped before then I will be comming off the pills no matter what he says

I do have to say it is probably the best contraceptive ever as I have not had sex since going on it but I do believe abstenance is free.

Just one quick question, I am off to England on holidays on the 8th of july and my appointment with my gyno is the 2nd. How long will it take for my body to go back to normal after stopping this pill?

simpson Thu 26-Jun-08 21:12:20

I have been on cerazette for just under 3 mths now. Am v glad i found this thread. I sometimes feel I have a big black cloud over my head.I also feel so ANGRY sometimes. Thought it was due to DD and lack of sleep etc she is only 21 wks. My poor DH is being nagged & shouted at for no reason really. Definately going to doc's to change. Would another mini pill do the same?

RedFraggle Fri 27-Jun-08 09:33:39

Hi Lexilex, I too have a history of depression and so when I started feeling depressed I just thought "Well they did say I was at high risk of PND" and that's what we all thought. In my case we were wrong!

If you think it might be linked to Cerezette then it is worth speaking to your GP. Be prepared for them to say it is not linked (mine did) but I insisted I wanted to come off everything and we discussed the best way to do that and arranged for me to have regular phone calls (GP) and visits from the health visitor for about 3 weeks / month afterwards. This was very reassuring to me as I was worried I might spiral out of control as I had been so very depressed prior to seeking help.

Hi Eriu, I was back to normal mentally in a few days after stopping Cerazette, it didn't really seem to have a huge effect on my body though so I'm not sure about that. But I believe the hormones go back to normal pretty fast.

Hi Simpson, It is worth trying another pill - I was on a different mini-pill after my first child and I don't remember any side-effects from it (unfortunately I can't remember what it is to tell you though!) I think they all have slightly different compositions so there could be another one that suits you. Your GP will be able to help hopefully.

I've just come off cerazette too, i also got nausea and sore boobs with it

But i'm on a new pill now, and will wait to see what happens as only been taking them 3 days

lexilex Fri 04-Jul-08 18:32:10

hi red fragle, i spoke to my gp and he said i could come off the pill, so i have done and im also weaning off my ad's. gp said i should consider a non hormonal coil as the hormones have been affecting my depression, but im going to have a break from it all, i have been off cerazette for about a week and i feel back to normal already and im coping better even though i have alot going on at the moment, so i really think it was affecting me alot, hope all is ok? x

RedFraggle Sat 12-Jul-08 10:14:34

Hi Lexilex,

Glad to hear you are feeling better. I am still not using any hormonal birth control methods, I think DH would prefer I did but after me taking responsibility for contraception for over 10 years (and with the unbelievable effects it can have) I have just said it his turn now! smile

Let me know how you get on with the non-hormone coil if you do decide to give it a go.

I still feel fine. I am so glad I posted this thread now, at the time I thought people might think I was a bit bonkers!

nik76 Mon 14-Jul-08 06:15:25

OMG - is this why me and DH have been arguing so much??? nearly broke up over a bacon sarnie!!!!!! I'm defo shouting and saying things I wouldn't normally say - I'm the one who will say only what I truelly mean and would say out of an arguement but now full on shouting and have thought a few times that I am saying things to DH that I'm not happy about.

HAven't had any bleeding, thought was feeling a bit shitty due to DD AND there's no way she's going to ahve any brothers or sisters at this rate.

I had a problem with my pill years ago - it was the first one I had and was percribed by the hospital. After about 6 months DH was complaining that I was moody and not very happy most of the time, I stopped my pill and I was much better. Got a differenet one was all better - and on it for about 10 years before DD but BF so couln't stay on that one.

PS just told DH about my this and that it could all be down to this and he has told me that it could be or I'm just an akward bastard - bless him grin

Webstermum Wed 16-Jul-08 13:59:36

I'm taking Cerazette for Endometriosis - have anly been taking it for 2 weeks but feel terrible - nausea & really bad headaches. No bleeding though but really bad mid-month pain which I thought this pill was going to get rid of. Am supposed to take it ofr a 3 month trial but feel so bad don't know whether to continue or not?sad

Babymumma Wed 16-Jul-08 14:35:25

What a fantastic post! I was prescribed Cerazette at my 6 week check & I took myself off it about a month ago. I was unbearable to live with & started to obsess about everything & doubt my abilities as a wife/mum. I realised there was a problem when my dp got home from work one evening & I realised I had stomach ache from not going to the loo because I had cleaned it & wanted him to think I was a perfect housewife/mother. Also was really thirsty as had cleaned kitchen taps & didn't want to make them dirty!!! I am so much more relaxed now & actually started to feel better within a week Sex drive is coming back also wink.
It's good to know that I'm not the only one & to fully confirm my suspicions about that pill.

PazzaPlusTwo Sat 19-Jul-08 16:02:05

just stopped taking cerazette for the same reason - feeling like the world was about to end

I am definitely going to mention it to my GP and Yellow Card it

Can I suggest everyone also "Yellow Card"s it:
https://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/

Fayzee Mon 21-Jul-08 20:17:09

Hello, I have been taking cerazette for over 2 years now and am confused as to why i was ever allowed to go onto it. I am nearly 23, healthy (up until point of starting cerazette) and am totally fed up of feeling the way i do. Until reading this thread i had no idea cerazette could worsen anxiety..?? I have severe anxiety issues! i have no sex drive and would rather cuddle than have sex, ,my periods are all over the place and i usually find myself having 3 sets of spotting a month. Not only is this costing a fortune but means i cant have sex anyway regardless of whether i wanted to or not!I have now started to have a headache most days, the doctor is convinced it isnt cerazette causing the problem but i have a gut instinct that it is..?? Anyone else experienced really bad migraine/headache with cerazette?? Please help anyone who can

Thanks

RedFraggle Wed 23-Jul-08 21:54:07

Hi Fayzee, I didn't have headaches with Cerazette but I did used to get migraines when I was Marvelon many years ago. I used to get migraines everytime I stopped taking the pill for a bleed. Apparently it is linked to the hormone drop when you stop taking taking the pill and your body gets used to a certain level of hormone and when it vanishes it can trigger headaches (in some women who are susceptible.)
If you think the issue could be your pill, I suggest going back to your GP and asking to be changed to an alternative pill or plan to come off it for a few months to see. Your GP should be willing to help you with this if you suspect your pill. After all, pretty much every drug has some side effects for some people!
My GP was unsure it could be Cerazette causing my depression initially but did agree to monitor me while I stopped taking it (and anti-depressants too).

expatinscotland Wed 23-Jul-08 21:57:24

My psych consultant thought it was my Cerazette. Because otherwise, I hadn't changed ANYTHING - meds, routines, exercise, etc.

He was right!

Am pregnant again, but if DH weren't going for the snip after this one I'd be having sterilisation.

I can't use combined hormone contraception as have hypertension and really don't like the way the copper coil works so that pretty much leaves condoms and sterilisation as options.

bella22 Fri 01-Aug-08 11:21:25

I started on Cerazette 2 weeks ago to see what the side effects were as my doctor said they are simular to the implant. For the past couple of days though i've begun to feel quite ill physically and also very emotional, moody and just quite depressed. I had a niggly thought that it might all be connected to Cerazette, now these thoughts are pretty much confirmed!

lj100 Thu 14-Aug-08 11:38:32

Finding this message board has been one of the best things ever. After taking cerazette for three months, I went to the doctor after I started to have bad mood swings and generally feeling miserable, crying for no reason and totally disinterested in sex, but was told it was unlikely to have caused this. A year on after being told to keep going as my mood would regulate, my new doctor thinks this pill is most likely the cause and I've now stopped taking it. I was just wondering just how long it will be before i start to feel normal again!

RedFraggle Thu 14-Aug-08 20:19:55

Hi Lj100,
So sorry to hear you have been suffering. If you have stopped taking Cerazette and it was the cause of the moods and depression then you should start feeling better in a matter of a few days I think. It took less than a week for me to improve. I hadn't been on it for more than a few months so I'm not sure if it accumulates in your system though.
I hope you feel much better soon, just be kind to yourself for a while! smile

lilly2 Fri 15-Aug-08 14:25:51

please read this if only for your own sanity

thankyou thankyou

i have been home from work with anxiety i never have time of work, and reading this might of just saved me from more attacks, i am normally very calm i have delt with a marridge breakup and all the rubbish that comes with it whilst holding down a job, home and new baby. just started a new relationship after five years of being single and decided to go back on the pill was prescribed cerazette been on it for six months now the first three months were fine but just recently had a lot of on off bleeding lower pelvis pain and acne, also the most terrible mood swings panic attacks for no reason, worry about the most stupid things like if i drive down this road what is the likleyhood of me having an accident!!! or oh my god my headache is a brain tumour! also coincides with a bleed but never put two and two together until being signed off work and then having another bleed today started to get me wondering, so thankyou i will not be taking this pill tonight i want my life back if i could kiss you all i would xxxxxxxxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now