Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Post-Natal advice thread to Ante-natal clubs

(4 Posts)
photographerlady Thu 16-May-13 13:25:48

Not sure if this is too off topic for this section but seeing you lovely ladies are now busy being mums could you spare a second (either serious or humorous) to share your last bit of advice for Ante-natal clubs about to graduate.

Before maternity leave before the baby comes ........
Don't forget to sort out ....... before you are post-natal,
You will never .............. again

etc.

Thanks ladies!

When in labour relax everything above your stomach, especially your shoulders or your chest muscles will rip with a huge pop and you will think your heart has exploded. I didn't....

You will get piles, so just accept it and stock up on the necessary cream.

Nipple balm = essential, pack it in your hospital bag

Ban visitors for the first couple of days. You'll want some time to just baby gaze grin

Kittenmummy Fri 17-May-13 00:11:17

Non essential items that are very very useful and I'm glad we have - changing table, angel care nappy bin, lullaby/background noise player

Essential item if bf - nipple balm. Use from day 1 not day 5 after it hurts!

General advice that i wish someone had told me - if it's your first one just accept you will not be prepared for what is about to come. It is amazing but at times very hard. Don't get caught up in what you "should" be doing, go with the flow and don't set yourself unrealistic aims. Remember when you are exhausted that your tiny baby needs you and you will find the ability to keep going!

Oh also a good idea to introduce a bottle early on for one of the feeds - i recently spoke to a few people who had left it late and their baby was refusing the bottle

Good luck to you all, wishing you easy peasey labours and gorgeous healthy babies!

HadALittleFaithBaby Thu 23-May-13 22:06:33

Before you have baby: batch cook meals you can have one handed that go with a variety of carbs/salad - I did chilli, bolognese, mac and cheese, stew and cheese and potato pie.
Do a big online shop and stock up on everything - food obviously but also loo roll, toothpaste etc so you're not running out.

For the birth: be loose with your birth plan. Never say never - you don't know what kind of birth you'll have! I wanted all the pain relief but had such a fast labour there wasn't time! Be specific but be prepared that it might not happen as you hope.
Remember that it's a relatively short period compared to the pregnancy and the rest of your life as a Mum!

For post birth: get a plastic jug. Fill it with warm water and pour as you pee. It'll wash away the lochia and stop the pee from stinging round your stitches.
Buy big cotton knickers.
Buy joggers that are on the bigger side. You'll be comfy and you won't need to change if you lie down for a nap.
If you're staying in hospital take a sleep mask. You may find it very bright. I was in a bay with babies being treated for jaundice and the blue light is too bright for me! Take snacks too. I got ravenous between meals.
If you plan to breast feed, read The womanly art of breast feeding.

Accept that there will be times you'll think you're the worst Mum on the planet (you're not!).

Make sure you plan days when you just stay at home. It's tempting to go out to prove you can be actually just being Mum and DC at home is lovely some days! smile
(I'm sure I'll think of more).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now