Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

FEB 2010 Terrors sometimes, angels at others - yep, they're properly two now...

(984 Posts)

New thread!!

<offers freshly baked muffins and frothy coffee>

BabyGiraffes Thu 31-May-12 10:15:51

dd2's favourite word of the day is 'actually'. She's also still fond of 'either' and if she tries to fit both into one sentence the result is often hilarious!

BigBadBear Thu 31-May-12 11:11:48

scones it is hard and I hope the support organisation helps (and well done on seeking help). It does get easier, but try and be kind to yourself. Do not feel like you are letting someone down if you can't do everything <repeats to self>

BG the job sounds very exciting. Enjoy your last few weeks of being full time at home and don't forget about us when it all starts!

PA how you doing?

DH returned by 8:30am last Saturday shock so it looks as though his efforts are still being sustained smile. He and the DDs had a nice weekend while I was away with my sister, and she and I had a good time just catching up, walking and enjoying the sunshine (there may have been a lot of snacks involved grin).
Knackered again now though, due to busy week.

DD2 doing well with "big girl knickers" as she calls them, and just the odd accident (though these are usually poo related, which is a bit icky). She's also suddenly dry at night, though I'm keeping her in pull ups at night until the days are definitely sorted out.

<waves to mous, IC, stone, bear and everyone else>

PenguinArmy Thu 31-May-12 13:20:02

we're still tired over here. DS didn't get put down until 12 last night, but it did mean I got a three hour stretch of sleep.

Apparently DD was awake every 30 mins last night (once DS was off I was out). I got really annoyed at DH though because he didn't think to give her some drugs. I hate it being my responsibilty to think of these things, now I feel guilty he was up a lot in the night. By being tired himself despite me having DS it means he is of no help tonight. DS has just gone down, even if it only lasts 10 mins it's some time with two hands smile

Dd fell off one of those plastic garden slides (she was trying to copy a boy who went down backwards and fell during the turning). So she is sporting a extensive graze along her cheek, eye and forehead. it's very light, just a large area as the grass being dry meant it was gritty. As evidenced by her waking she still has a cold and had a short nap yesterday so that afternoon between the two of them was rather fun hmmgrin

feel bad that I haven't sat down and played properly with just her for a while, but maybe at playgroup this afternoon I can get someone to hold DS for a bit.

<end me me me post>

Aw PA, argh on your behalf. I hope you get a chance both to rest and to have some fun with DD.

Scones good you've asked for a bit of help - no shame in that, much better that you feel supported than overwhelmed.
<more hugs>

BBB how lovely to have time to hang out with your sister!

DD is generally fine, but her poo-phobia is a bit of a downer. She's sometimes holding on for three days before finally letting it out and we have some right old tizzies from her when she's desperate to go. Yesterday was probably the worst yet - and once again, she was a different child once she was all done and wearing a new nappy. I think she dislikes the inevitable post-poo nappy change as much as fearing the sensation of needing to go. Anyway, it's become a bit of a drama. Thankfully, she went again this morning without a histrionic build-up. I've suggested using the potty to her, but the idea hasn't really got through.

I got a free copy of Calmer, Easier, Happier Parenting by Noel Janis-Norton from MN and I'm pretty impressed so far. The first chapter focuses on Descriptive Praise, which I've come across before (in Positive Discipline and ^How To Talk...^) but she's much more detailed about how to used it and we're already getting results from DD. I'll let you know how the rest of the book's advice shapes up!

I've started getting swollen ankles in the evenings. I never got those with DD, I suppose that's the benefit of T3 during the winter. Mmm, cankles - not a great look..!

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Thu 31-May-12 18:06:51

<hugs scones>

PenguinArmy Thu 31-May-12 18:11:11

we actually had a nice afternoon. As it was muggy the splash park was deserted, which is right next door to the playgroup. Made a crown at playgroup and then let DD buy some doughnuts all by herself (she got them off the self, queued, gave them and the money to the lady, then collected the change and put it in her pocket) smile DS didn't sleep long but being on the move meant he was content enough in the sling.

remember ankles are the price of the DC2 smile book sounds interesting, would definitely be interested in more feedback.

StoneBaby Thu 31-May-12 20:46:32

It's the end of a long day! DS woke up at 5.30am then started screaming 5mn later as he was wet: when DH went to see him, he was bappy free with a soaked bed! So it was a bath, bed stripping and washing of the fitted sheet, duvet cover, duvet and cuddly tortoise (plus pj and vest) all of this before 6am shock

PA fx you'll get more sleep tonight

Waves to everybody else <yawn>

PenguinArmy Fri 01-Jun-12 09:43:11

well DD is down for a nap already so has appeared to go downhill. She's had it for 5 days now so it hasn't followed a normal cold schedule.

BabyGiraffes Fri 01-Jun-12 13:23:25

Do you all have plans for the crown? I feel like I am the only one who has not bought bunting or made a cake to stick little flags in, and have no intention to celebrate anything. Am I just a spoil sport or can I get away with being foreign? confused

BabyGiraffes Fri 01-Jun-12 14:28:18

dd2 not sleeping today and creating havoc. Just found her standing on her sister's desk painting her face with felt tip pens saying 'I'm a tiger!'. Found it so funny I grabbed camera and camcorder before getting her down. She is now in front of the mirror admiring herself... (dd1 had full face paint on yesterday after a play at school)

PenguinArmy Fri 01-Jun-12 14:29:09

awwww

<whispers> DD is down thankfully

PenguinArmy Fri 01-Jun-12 14:30:10

we were going to give potty training a go, but as she seems ill I don't know. Plus I have to start my presentation <eek>

BabyGiraffes Fri 01-Jun-12 16:46:27

PA I take my hat off to you just getting through the day on so little sleep. Must admit of my two hadn't been such good sleepers I am not sure I would be sane and married by now...
Hope your dd feels better soon!

IC feel so sorry for your dd. Have you tried posting in development? Someone might have some really good tips to help with her poo phobia.
And sorry to hear about your ankles. For your sake I hope the sumer is not a scorcher.

BBB Your dd2 has just been awarded another medal! grin She got one for being he first on this thread to sleep through the night and now she gets another for being the first dry at night...

BabyGiraffes Fri 01-Jun-12 16:55:52

Argh, washing machine has died (suspicious look at IC and another local friend... Think there's a lethal virus going round!!!). Our replacement won't be as painless as yours though IC, what with the extended bank holiday sad

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Fri 01-Jun-12 17:14:17

Sorry to hear that BG but I had to laugh at the virus! grin
No coronation party here <antiroyalist "catholic" FIL, the only true British in my family and too many foreign influence grin>

PA good luck <hugs if you want? not sure if you are a hug accepting person> Good luck with the presentation

IC put your feet up!

BBB <hugs>

I just bought DD2 her 1st play dough! confused [crap mum emoticon] she loves it and didn't eat it even when i left her without supervision, I am ashamed blush that I was actually expecting her to do it.

I am listening to DD1 reading a child friendly fired safety manual in a foreign language, I am rather impressed [super proud mum emoticon] blush. She has done so well. Sorry to dither to her but we are having some hard time with her not coping with changes of routines and possible panic attack (school is concerned)... but she has done so much in the pass year

StoneBaby Fri 01-Jun-12 18:29:26

BG no crown celebrations in this household neither. We're having a party on Sunday but it's for a birthday.

mous sad to hear your DD1 is having anxiety problems, I hope she'll settle soon.

PA good luck with your presentation.

IC elevate your feet as often as you can

I need to get the sewing machine out in order to mend the new curtains I bought for DS's room.

DS has discovered cherries. He really enjoys eating fruits (costs me a fortune but at least it's an heatlhy snack)

Thanks for the feet elevation advice!
<summons DH to fetch cup of tea>

A friend of mine has just started potty training her DD who is 2 weeks older than my DD - we visited the first morning and her LO had done 2 pees in the potty, (one at her own request), did another while we were there and no accidents. Good start! You never know, PA - it might turn out to be quite painless....
My DD was impressed and insisted on sitting on her potty later - with no result, but hey. At least she's getting interested in the idea.

Boo at your early morning wake up call, SB - NOT the best way to start the day...!
DD loves cherries too. Can't say I blame them, yum!

Impressive stuff from your DD1, Mous!
Hmm, must remember to give DD her play-dough. It's been sitting in its pots for months.....

BG our machine broke on the Monday - it was the following Monday evening when we finally got the replacement! A combination of helpful neighbours, DH's parents and a useful second-hand domestic appliance shop got us through!!
Had to arf at the thought of your DD2 in her "face paint"!

We're off to a street party on Tuesday, but otherwise not doing anything special. I'm going shopping on my own tomorrow, though <excited>

StoneBaby Fri 01-Jun-12 19:16:15

Shopping on your own IC shock Is that allowed?? grin

Sewing is done and I don't think I woke up DS

BG a friend's DD also draw a tiger strips on her face this week with a felter pen... (wonder if this is another bug?) Can't you get a washing machine tomorrow? (I bought one 2 hours after ours broke down a few months ago)

PenguinArmy Fri 01-Jun-12 19:17:11

can i come?

StoneBaby Fri 01-Jun-12 20:36:29

PA grin

BabyGiraffes Fri 01-Jun-12 21:36:10

mous can you send your dh on a guilt trip saying that his darling dd1 is starting to have anxiety attacks because he is dithering too much to ensure a stable education for her at least for another year or two? And by the way, she has done incredibly well to catch up so much and do so well!!! smile

Oh, and play doh is fab smile. dd2 loves it and likes mixing colours hmm (No darling, I can't mend it for you...). She is also really keen on marbles, coins, buttons (my mum has the most fantastic collection of old buttons, some of them huge), and playmobil (which dd1 ignores and has never played with). I am still waiting to find small pieces of something in her nappy though confused because I don't trust her completely.

SB I guess we could get a washing machine quickly if we could but not with dh taking ages to decide which one... angry He likes to do his own research taking ages and then agrees with my suggestion grin Just as well dd1 has next week off on half term, so does not need her uniform. She likes to climb trees, hide in bushes, play chase, find treasure by digging etc so needs a new dress every day hmm and I ended up hand washing one for her.
Sewing machine... hmm. I should really get one of those.

IC Shopping on your own envy Hmmmm.

PA Good luck with interview preparation!

dd2 has been incredibly cheeky today and at one point ended up in her cot for time out for a minute or two (she kept pressing the off button on my laptop which I didn't think was very funny because I was actually trying to do some work). dh was away for two nights for work and this morning dd2 kept following him around everywhere which was quite cute. She will also only let him read her bedtime stories and does not seem to mind his strong accent when he reads German books (his German is quite good but his accent isn't - dd1 got to a point where she wouldn't let him read German... wink)

Oh and I realised I lied about not doing anything for the crown. We are invited to a BBQ on Sunday and my friend send a text in a panic saying there is absolutely no bunting left in town at all anywhere and what can she do... grin I'll get the girls to colour in the mn template to take along but it may not be in conventional colours grin

PenguinArmy Fri 01-Jun-12 21:48:27

BG thanks for the pm, it made me re-read the message about the impending birth of DS which looking back is exactly what happened to me. Made me smile

DD still put money etc. in her mouth still as well.

I've also caved and put a stair gate on DD's door and so far it has worked great, although I'm not holding my breath once she's better and finally twigs what's going on. We open it once she's asleep.

we are actually doing nothing for jubilee. good luck with getting your machine sorted out.

did any one bf biters? DS has taken a few nibbles, got too bad but I'm already getting a bit nervous regarding feeds. so far it has happened at the end when i have zoned out and guess he''s either saying 'oi! get rid of this' or thinks it's a new exciting teething toy. He's had the teeth a few weeks so not like they are anything new.

BabyGiraffes Fri 01-Jun-12 23:12:35

PA seems like yesterday... smile

extremelychocolateymilkroll Sat 02-Jun-12 01:06:44

Hello everyone - another of my infrequent visits. Saw your dd's poo phobia IC and wondered if you had come across Poo Goes to Pooland? I can email you a copy if you haven't. It did help with dd1's reluctance to poo in the loo which as you probably know is pretty common. Good to hear yet more positive feedback on Calmer, Easier, Happier Parenting. I have read a number of articles praising the author and her techniques - apparently Helena Bonham Carter is a big fan - and am now quite tempted to get this book.

StoneBaby Sat 02-Jun-12 07:53:58

DS is still asleep shock shock I'm actually worried that he's unwell! I guess I'll know when he wakes up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now