The Mumsnet Manifesto (Mumifesto even?)

(74 Posts)
JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 01-Apr-10 01:03:33

Hi all,
Given that we've been somewhat thrust into the spotlight this election, we thought we'd put together a list of Mumsnet's key policy recommendations - a Mumsnet Manifesto, if you will - with the hope that some or all might make it into the big three manifestos, due to be launched in a week or two. Do let us know what you think and whether there's anything crucial we've missed?

Thanks.

sockmonkey Thu 01-Apr-10 11:14:03

i got one on another thread too
<feels special>

PenguinNZ Thu 01-Apr-10 11:16:12

Oh dear, I'm gonna sound really boring after all these witty and intelligent posts, but a tax on processed and sugar filled foods. If it's a product that doesn't rot after 3 months, then tax it! (Fresh and real foods better and tasier for us all)

And this come from a cadburys-aholic, but if booze is taxed, then why aren't 'fake' foods which will cost the NHS so much more in the long run.

scottishmummy Thu 01-Apr-10 11:16:52

its a wish list,and unattainable
have you costed it?how will this be afforded?what implementation dates do you have in mind

sterotypical to say the least,to have a manifesto wish list about buggies spaces and P&T parking!hmmm talk about grouping and generalising the mummies and reinforcing notion of maternal politics. gender or maternal staus doesnt necesssarily determine women will be botherered about parking and pram spaces. think you have largely missed the mark with a mummy manifesto

re:Health - with predicted global cuts how will these recommendations finance

* Guaranteed one-to-one midwife care during labour. - recommended and being implemented different rates.but need to recruit and retain extra mw
however many trusts have job freeze at moment

* phasing out of all mixed-sex hospital wards- this is already policy and ongoing with different roll out dates.

scottishmummy Thu 01-Apr-10 11:19:17

cycling christ on a bike,its a wind up of course.april 1st

no one could seriously advocate that mince

doh,had me goin

lingle Thu 01-Apr-10 11:22:12

more flexible school starting age please please please Justine! appropriate children to be allowed to start reception at 5.

please please please please please please please

pretty please

NewNameOldTopic Thu 01-Apr-10 11:23:58

Not a ban, but a warning label on all food and medicine market for children which contains artificial sweetners (nutrasweet, etc.).

And a ban on nutrasweet in school dinners. (except of course for diabetic children)

bibbitybobbityhat Thu 01-Apr-10 11:26:52

Oh ladies <sigh> when will you ever learn to read the whole thread?

scottishmummy Thu 01-Apr-10 11:28:53

oh sigh could you be any more patrionising bbh

Free chocolate for mumsnetters,

ScreaminEagle Thu 01-Apr-10 11:33:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Awww just chill out and have some chocolate instead smile

wickeddevil Thu 01-Apr-10 11:35:11

Could I have my own PCSO at home to ensure that family members clean up after themselves?

bibbitybobbityhat Thu 01-Apr-10 11:39:57

Here you go: there's only one i in patronising grin.

Don't mind me SM - not reading threads properly is a particular bugbear of mine. I posted an op about it the other day and spawned a long thread of hundreds of posts! When I express a wish that people would do it my tone of voice is more exasperated than patronising tbh. Its just one of my little irritations about this wonderful place.

Igglybuff Thu 01-Apr-10 11:40:31

I see fried eggs not bunnies!

lingle Thu 01-Apr-10 11:41:46

bibbity - probably never blush

scottishmummy Thu 01-Apr-10 11:45:37

i type fast and habitually make spelling mistakes- best get used to it.as you wouldnt want to come across as one of they biscuit arses who pickity pick about evrything.now would you

and well sometimes a cursory glance to op and pile in is best way to post

bibbitybobbityhat Thu 01-Apr-10 11:58:25

Just my little joke hen. Indeed I would not want to be thought of as a biscuit arse.

scottishmummy Thu 01-Apr-10 12:04:12

you see mn is online blethering dinnae let the spelling slow me down.ignore the spellcheck

and hell yes dont always pile through a thread before stickin ma oar in

i do like biscuit arse as an expression though

justaboutkeepingawake Thu 01-Apr-10 12:15:19

I am ALWAYS taken in by April Fools. Didn't read the Mumifesto itself but was horrified that MNHQ would do something so crass and opportunistic.

Housemum Thu 01-Apr-10 12:52:45

Loved the fact so many taken in by it. (Though some policies were bordering on sensible...)

Personally I'd have put a stamp duty on Crocs ie you are allowed to stamp on the feet of anyone over 10 wearing them outside of a hospital (you're forgiven if you need hose-downable theatre shoes!). Personally I'm thinking that DD2 is looking to old for them at 7, but I'll sit here for a bit until the Croc devotees throw rocks at me grin

Housemum Thu 01-Apr-10 12:53:31

was seeing if bgrin produced a bunny, but that must be a Burn's night grin [egrin] ?

morningpaper Thu 01-Apr-10 13:17:11

chuckling @ Chocolate in Pregnancy grant

NettiespagettisMiniEggs Thu 01-Apr-10 13:31:21

[scotgrin] I want one come on give over all these posh smileys please share? Pleaaassse specially Scottish one please x

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 01-Apr-10 14:22:43

No one wants a dedicated buggy lane then? sad

I thought it would be good for my pedestrian rage issues so I don't have to keep knocking down little old ladies. [sigh]

NettiespagettisMiniEggs Thu 01-Apr-10 14:34:30

i agree a buggy lane would be good as i do suffer from inconsolable pedestrian rage. I also suffer from mobility scooter rage, taxi rage, smoking rage, eating rage and litter rage.

I'm just one lil rage ball and i dont think we outta go there!!

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now