The Queen's Speech - Newsnight would like to know what we think of it

(358 Posts)
JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 18-Nov-09 10:15:09

Good morning Mumsnetters,
Newsnight's Michael Crick is coming to visit grin and wants to know about what we all think of the government's plans as to be revealed (but of course already heavily trailed) in the Queen's Speech Today.

Here's a helpful summary from the BBC.

So what are your thoughts please?

EdithWeston Sun 04-Mar-12 15:11:16

The Queen's Speech, in the context of this (three year old) thread - ie the address to Parliament in which the Government's forthcoming legislative programme is laid out - is very relevant.

AFAIK, other than the rolling news channels, it is not broadcast in total and I expect the viewing figures are low. But it would be deeply remiss of the ordinary news channels if they ceased to cover it.

Pound Sun 04-Mar-12 14:51:29

There is a marvellous send up of the Queen's speech on the website: www.fuggingmonarchy.co.uk Well worth a look. In fact this boring and totally irrelevant speech by Britain's premier politician, had dropped to just three millions viewers within the last five years. And yet Mastermind was removed because it also had reached this low point. The BBC asked why the Queen's speech remained, failed to give any sensible answer to this question. Prejudice???

edam Thu 19-Nov-09 14:23:21

grin Leningrad

Bramshott Thu 19-Nov-09 13:44:44

Didn't manage to stay awake long enough for the programme [yawn], but did you see this thread appearing in the guardian??

LeninGrad Thu 19-Nov-09 13:25:35

Saw the prog on iPlayer, I particularly enjoyed edam's clearly visible post which began, '...agree with Lenin...' smile

Did you notice that screenshot at 7m10s in had big red B and D buttons, for ban this bugger and delete this dross I presume. grin

justabouttoturn35 Thu 19-Nov-09 07:44:27

I know this is ages too late, but Paxo IS a rubbish debater, I can't remember what the debate was about now, but the thing is that he is great at interrogating and interrupting rudely, but had absolutely no idea of how to put together a strong argument. He's not actually a very good "presence" unless he's got someone to bully interview. It was the same on the Daily Show. Jon thingie kept trying to make him be funny and he just sat there smirking.

LeninGrotto Thu 19-Nov-09 00:06:20

smile I'm sure they do, try it and preview.

WilfSell Wed 18-Nov-09 23:05:35

I meant I'm the fuckwit, not you btw.

WilfSell Wed 18-Nov-09 23:05:12

I know. You know what? <fuckwit> I left it out deliberately because I can't work out whether the italics work with an apostrophe. Sad, huh.

LeninGrotto Wed 18-Nov-09 23:04:20

No TV in this room Wilf. Might have to get a Freeview dongle for my laptop.

LeninGrotto Wed 18-Nov-09 23:02:30

Missing apostrophe there Wilf, you've now been relegated.

<glides over fact has Xmas name already because too lazy to change twice>

WilfSell Wed 18-Nov-09 23:01:32

Headphones, Len. Wireless headphones. The flashing lights just send 'em to sleep.

edam Wed 18-Nov-09 22:59:46

I wonder whether Mandy is so puffed up with his own importance that he doesn't realise most people think he's an oily creep. Or maybe he does, and couldn't care less because he's got money and power?

Ronaldinhio Wed 18-Nov-09 22:59:46

Love all the Palin stuff on the Daily Show..tis excellent

WilfSell Wed 18-Nov-09 22:58:39

And me, and me! My name was there too <am watching a bit delayed on Sky+> OK, someone elses post was actually on the top of the screen but...

Opinion formers, that's what we are <preens>

ronshar Wed 18-Nov-09 22:57:38

Thats ok then. How can you concentrate upon these very important issues we are debating tonight.

By the way
Sarah Palin for example is a Twat.
Yes twice tonight.sadsad I know.

LeninGrotto Wed 18-Nov-09 22:54:11

Haha, fantastic!

edam Wed 18-Nov-09 22:54:08

Yup, that's me! (Only re. boring stuff, though, nothing particularly glam or interesting.)

LeninGrotto Wed 18-Nov-09 22:53:40

They are in bed ron, I just happen to be next to the smallest one.

LadyBlaBlah Wed 18-Nov-09 22:53:20

It was a screen shot of the thread and Edam and Lenin were flashed up - didn't talk about the post but you were definitely there. On the telly shock

ooh edam, you media whore, you! wink

ronshar Wed 18-Nov-09 22:50:54

Is that the only thing labour can moan about. Inheritance tax?

ronshar Wed 18-Nov-09 22:49:27

Only because he would stick out his ridiculously shiney shoes and trip up every other contestant. Then he would turn his back and pretend it wasnt him!

edam Wed 18-Nov-09 22:48:56

what? Blimey, they put my post up or something?

Wow. I've been on TV as me, I've been on TV as job title representing X organisation, now I've been on TV as an internet pixie!

LadyBlaBlah Wed 18-Nov-09 22:48:28

Lenin - Ben Bradshaw and Paxo just arguing about pointless opinions atm. Missing nothing MN

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now