Does anyone actually back the government these days?

(106 Posts)
GossipWitch Tue 06-Nov-12 22:22:49

Every day I'm reading something negative about the government whether its sanctions, fucked up benefits, dla being cut, nhs suffering, the economy, schools, child benefit cuts, redundancies, and now peado's in the ranks. I'm betting people wish they hadn't rage voted now, but I'm just curious to see if there are actually people who still like their policies?

ttosca Thu 24-Jan-13 14:34:39

grimble-

>OK, maybe not all lefties - not that I used the word all. It just feels that way when you read the threads on MN. It seems to be turning into the Labour party at prayer, just like it used to be said that the Church of England was the Tory party at prayer.

I think you're making a mistake here in thinking that all, or even most, criticism of Tory policies comes from Labour supporters and is done to 'Big up' Labour at the expense of the Tories.

> I know it's bad form to quote other threads where I have seen words like evil, hateful, nasty, toffs etc. so I will stick to just this thread where we can read Tory scum and sociopathic scum used as descriptors.

Absolutely. I use these adjectives all the time, and I stand by them. It's odd that 'immoderate language' is perceived as being such a crime, but the people who are uncomfortable with it have nothing to say about the doubling of families who are now using food banks to survive, or the hundreds of disabled people killed by Atos. I use the words 'sociopathic' and 'nasty' because I genuinely believe it's an appropriate description - not because I want you to vote Labour next election.

> And I am not even right wing.....you don't have to be right wing to object to vilification and sneering as a default form of description and debate. if I am lazy and untruthful I wonder what that makes those left wingers on here who come out with words like scum etc.?

Using words like 'scum' doesn't make your arguments any less truthful.

For the record, I agree with Minx. Though I would obviously rather have Labour in power than the Tory scum, I see all three mainstream parties as parties of big-business and neo-liberalism. I expect none of them to shape economic and social policy for the benefit of the public, rather than for the few. Even with good intentions (which most MPs don't have), they are utterly devoid of ideas and unable to challenge the consensus of disastrous economic policies which has led us to where we are now.

kimorama Wed 30-Jan-13 11:55:43

There may well be a 30 per cent vote for each of the two main parties at the general election It s the other 10 per cent the fight will be over. The Lib-Dem vote will be hard to predict. My wild guess about 15 per cent. Not good

Isityouorme Wed 30-Jan-13 20:12:06

I used to support them but they are fucking up this country big time and screwing us over massively. Wankers

ttosca Fri 01-Feb-13 23:25:40

Why does the government hate disabled people so much?

---

Two thirds of those hit by 'bedroom tax' are disabled

According to the government's impact assessment, almost two thirds of the tenants affected by the so-called 'bedroom tax' are from households that contain someone who is disabled.

660,000 social housing tenants to be affected by 'bedroom tax'
420,000 of these households contain someone who is disabled

www.itv.com/news/update/2013-02-01/two-thirds-of-those-hit-by-bedroom-tax-are-disabled/

claig Sat 02-Feb-13 08:59:05

Thanks for those figures, ttosca. I didn't know that.

I am against this bedroom tax anyway. But knowing that it affects mainly households with a disabled person makes it even worse.

MiniTheMinx Sun 03-Feb-13 12:23:46

The bedroom tax will quite predictably NOT effect OAPs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now