The new british citizenship test-would you pass it?

(60 Posts)
mumnosbest Sun 08-Jul-12 14:00:37

Take the test here www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/quiz/2012/jul/05/uk-citizenship-test

I scored 6 and DH (who passed the old one) scored 8. We're both smart enough, been to uni, ok jobs etc. You need 10 to pass!

Would you be allowed to stay or be deported with us?

grumpyinthemornings Fri 16-Nov-12 16:16:39

Got the English law in Wales wrong, but we weren't taught about that in school.

Skilled workers coming from Europe - there were engineers in the middle ages? Huh. Who knew?

I didn't know who the first prime minister was. The potato famine was later than I thought. I had no clue who was in power when the NHS started.

The one that really got me was the colonies granted independence. I chose the option with Assam rather than Ceylon. But apparently it's all bloody Sri Lanka now anyway! SO I was right! India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka! <mutters angrily>

9 out of 15, and I was born and raised here. Kind of annoying really.

I got 9 but guessed most lol

mumnosbest Tue 10-Jul-12 12:50:17

Obviously but its not just 'dreamed up', it gives an idea of the kinds of questions on the new test.

rshipstuff Tue 10-Jul-12 12:42:24

It's not the actual citizenship test, it's just one they've dreamed up for the Grauniad.

mumnosbest Tue 10-Jul-12 09:22:17

I'd agree with both trills and jellykat but this test is rubbish. If its about making an effort though it is a waste of time. Anyone who goes through the whole process of applying for visas or indefinate leave then lives and works here for a few years imo has already made an effort.

Jellykat Mon 09-Jul-12 21:11:18

That's kind of what they said on Question Time Trills, the panel agreed that the test should be based on morals, trust, community, how things like the NHS system works etc rather then GCSE type questions on history, statistics etc

Trills Mon 09-Jul-12 20:48:07

The difference between being a British citizenand doing a driving test is that to drive you have to have some actual skills - to be British you just have to believe it in your heart. Therefore a test of "did you bother to make an effort?" is a good enough test.

EugenesAxe Mon 09-Jul-12 20:39:27

10 here too...

Jellykat Mon 09-Jul-12 20:09:35

I got 7, but having seen some of the panel on Question time answering their questions wrongly last week (!!) i can't say i'm worried. grin

iklboo Mon 09-Jul-12 19:38:35

14 - also got the laws on the Welsh one wrong. I thought it was earlier than that.

Ryoko Mon 09-Jul-12 19:33:46

I got 7

LilyBolero Mon 09-Jul-12 16:45:23

" Ponders Mon 09-Jul-12 12:56:05

it was breaking from Rome that came first though

I know Bloody Mary then reversed it, but Henry started it grin"

I think the problem is that when do you ascertain that it was 'established' - I think there's an argument for either of them, but in a multi-choice answer paper it could be the difference between pass/fail!

Hassled Mon 09-Jul-12 13:40:04

Although - maybe I did so well because I only moved to the UK when I was 10? Maybe I/my parents made some sort of conscious effort to get me up to speed?

Hassled Mon 09-Jul-12 13:38:29

14/15! Ha! I'm gobsmacked at what I apparently know.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 09-Jul-12 13:31:03

"fail to understand how failing it makes me less british "

It doesn't. Big perogative of being British-born is that we're quite free to be as ignorant of our culture and history as we wish. Foreigners often show us up in that regard.

HandMadeTail Mon 09-Jul-12 13:10:25

I passed the proper test last year.

I passed this with a score of 11.

I am Australian.

mumnosbest Mon 09-Jul-12 13:01:46

trills i hope the point isnt just to see who's willing to put in a bit of work as people could be motivated to do that for any reason, not always good. i agree wih earlier posts that a test on laws and culture would be better.

imagine if the driving theory test was just about the history of automobiles. how many people could swat up and pass? id probably only get 6/15 again without revision but im not a bad driver!

Pascha Mon 09-Jul-12 12:59:09

11 right. I wonder how many of us got the same 11 questions right?

Ponders Mon 09-Jul-12 12:56:05

it was breaking from Rome that came first though

I know Bloody Mary then reversed it, but Henry started it grin

kmdwestyorks Mon 09-Jul-12 12:56:02

Failed 8/15 but then i also fail to understand how failing it makes me less british or less concerned about UK issues or less committed to contributing my bit.

i am however a good student, give me the guide and i'll learn it off by heart and score 15/15 but that wouldn't make me more british or more concerned or more committed either.

LilyBolero Mon 09-Jul-12 12:53:38

And given that Mary totally demolished any 'new church' to restore Catholicism, it took an act of parliament by Elizabeth I to establish the Church of England as we know it.

Stupid question really.

LilyBolero Mon 09-Jul-12 12:52:15

Ok, can see answers now - it says Henry VIII but I dispute that really!

LilyBolero Mon 09-Jul-12 12:50:18

I got 12/15 so I passed, but I think some of the questions are impossible to answer - eg the one about which monarch established the Church of England , because it was Henry VIII who broke from Rome, which led to the establishment of the CofE, which I presume was Elizabeth I, but I can't see the answers to see which one they are taking as the answer!

Trills Mon 09-Jul-12 12:45:07

I scored 11/15

Trills Mon 09-Jul-12 12:42:38

Yes, I would pass it, because if I were planning on taking the test I would read and learn the things that they suggest you read and learn.

The questions in the test are not the point at all, the point is that you are willing to put in a bit of effort.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now