The new british citizenship test-would you pass it?

(60 Posts)
mumnosbest Sun 08-Jul-12 14:00:37

Take the test here www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/quiz/2012/jul/05/uk-citizenship-test

I scored 6 and DH (who passed the old one) scored 8. We're both smart enough, been to uni, ok jobs etc. You need 10 to pass!

Would you be allowed to stay or be deported with us?

iklboo Mon 09-Jul-12 19:38:35

14 - also got the laws on the Welsh one wrong. I thought it was earlier than that.

Jellykat Mon 09-Jul-12 20:09:35

I got 7, but having seen some of the panel on Question time answering their questions wrongly last week (!!) i can't say i'm worried. grin

EugenesAxe Mon 09-Jul-12 20:39:27

10 here too...

Trills Mon 09-Jul-12 20:48:07

The difference between being a British citizenand doing a driving test is that to drive you have to have some actual skills - to be British you just have to believe it in your heart. Therefore a test of "did you bother to make an effort?" is a good enough test.

Jellykat Mon 09-Jul-12 21:11:18

That's kind of what they said on Question Time Trills, the panel agreed that the test should be based on morals, trust, community, how things like the NHS system works etc rather then GCSE type questions on history, statistics etc

mumnosbest Tue 10-Jul-12 09:22:17

I'd agree with both trills and jellykat but this test is rubbish. If its about making an effort though it is a waste of time. Anyone who goes through the whole process of applying for visas or indefinate leave then lives and works here for a few years imo has already made an effort.

rshipstuff Tue 10-Jul-12 12:42:24

It's not the actual citizenship test, it's just one they've dreamed up for the Grauniad.

mumnosbest Tue 10-Jul-12 12:50:17

Obviously but its not just 'dreamed up', it gives an idea of the kinds of questions on the new test.

I got 9 but guessed most lol

grumpyinthemornings Fri 16-Nov-12 16:16:39

Got the English law in Wales wrong, but we weren't taught about that in school.

Skilled workers coming from Europe - there were engineers in the middle ages? Huh. Who knew?

I didn't know who the first prime minister was. The potato famine was later than I thought. I had no clue who was in power when the NHS started.

The one that really got me was the colonies granted independence. I chose the option with Assam rather than Ceylon. But apparently it's all bloody Sri Lanka now anyway! SO I was right! India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka! <mutters angrily>

9 out of 15, and I was born and raised here. Kind of annoying really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now