Before I was in your tummy, I was dead, and before then I was a little girl.

(138 Posts)
QuintessentialShadow Mon 06-Jul-09 00:09:38

My 4 year old son broke those news during breakfast today.

This was the conversation:

"mummy, what happens after you die"

"not much. you are dead"

"NO you become alive again"

"No sweetheart. you dont, when you die, that is it".

"no, you live, you die, you live again"

"OH,honey, you mean, what were you before you were in my tummy?"

"no mummy, before I was in your tummy, I was ead, and before then, I was a little girl. I had an older brother then also"

I was slightly taken aback. Is this normal?

ipiratethief Mon 06-Jul-09 00:17:16

am not sure! I do belive that kids are more intune with what they 'were', if ever they were.

it is quite shock when they come out with things like this.

My dd who is 7, said last week, 'mummy, I was so glad you became my mummy, becuase I'd been following you around for ages'

I said, 'oh, were you?'

Yes mummy, since you were a teenager, my spirit was following you, just waiting, then woosh I was in your tummy.

hmm !!!

jabberwocky Mon 06-Jul-09 00:32:36

Oh wow, I find these things SO intriquing! There's a book called Spirit Babies that talks about things like this.

AitchTwoOh Mon 06-Jul-09 00:33:10

gosh. is that all he said, QS?

and <blubs> at piratethief.

PlumBumMum Mon 06-Jul-09 00:35:11

ipiratetheif thats a bit scary (nice scary though)

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 06-Jul-09 00:35:28

shock

gigglewitch Mon 06-Jul-09 00:37:35

I reckon they are far more in tune when they are little. Fascinating.

kitkatqueen Mon 06-Jul-09 00:46:11

My dd1 ( aged about 2 or 3)used to look past me in the house and talk to George who was the old man who used to live in the house. Used to freak me out a bitblush But I have seen him myself and he seems like a fairly nice chap. We told him he could stay in the house as long as he behaved himself. now I sound like a total nut hmm

QS - He's probably right IPirate - that sounds lovely!

ipiratethief Mon 06-Jul-09 07:28:05

it is a lovely feeling, whereever the notion came from. Really special.

That is beautiful Ipiratethief

My daughter told us at 2yo that she used to live in an old house by a stream and was an old lady and her bones were broken and bleeding.

shock

HuffwardlyRudge Mon 06-Jul-09 07:45:49

Hmm. My dd is three and comes up with theories like this. To be honest I put it down to her trying to understand the concept of nothing before birth and nothing after death. It's a difficult thing to try to understand and the idea of being alive before or after is easier to understand.

nickschick Mon 06-Jul-09 07:47:18

My 8 yr old has said similar v spooky things and even went into an accurate description of a street 50 years ago - when he said he lived there!!.

I spoke about this on another thread where he discussed his late grandmother with whom hed 'waited' til it was his time to arrive here- he described many things he couldnt have possibly know about including naming a dog that dh had no idea about!.

QuintessentialShadow Mon 06-Jul-09 18:59:44

I told my sister what he said.

She said it was very interesting. Her friend had been to see a medium, who said that her father had said to be prepared, as one of their ancestors was preparing to be reborn back into her family. A month or so later her sister got pregnant. I find it a bit confusing.

On the one hand, I think it can be as one poster said, a young child trying to make sense of life and death, and find the concept of death being the lack of life for all eternity so mindboggling, that it is easier to view it in cycles of death, life, etc.

You could tell him that some people/religions believe that the spirit lives on after death, but more importantly, what do you believe?

QuintessentialShadow Mon 06-Jul-09 19:05:44

I believe it is possible. My oldest son has seen events happen before they happen, miles away. Which has been puzzling, until the events start unfolding.

Yurtgirl Mon 06-Jul-09 19:06:38

Hi Quint - there was a fascinating program about children who say and think like this - on channel 4 sometimes repeated on tinterweb - I can let you know if I spot its available again if you like

I cant remember the word they use to describe such children but it may well be...... indigo child [argh!] (lots of threads around about indigo kids have a root about)

I personally think most of the indigo stuff is loopy loo but there are many children who do seem to have some knowledge of having lived before - a tendancy that disappears by the time they are 5/6 I think - which there does seem to be evidence for.........

Yurtgirl Mon 06-Jul-09 19:07:40

Hopefully someone somewhere on MN knows the name of the programme cos you would find it really interesting I suspect

QuintessentialShadow Mon 06-Jul-09 19:08:59

Funny thing, thinking back to when he was born. The first thing the midwife said (Elderly-ish south american lady) was: "Oh my, welcome back, you have been here before, I see"

At the time I just raised my eyebrow slightly and thought this is something she tells all the babies.....

MiniMarmite Mon 06-Jul-09 19:21:48

How fascinating and quite lovely.

I remember asking my Mum when I was very young (about 3 I think) whether life was real or just a dream. She always says this threw her a bit!

I know it isn't the same thing but I think it is amazing how young we are when we start to question our existence even if we might not be aware of death. Maybe some people almost need the comfort of thinking of a before and after life even at that point in their lives. Or maybe there is much more to it than that. I agree that young children are much more attuned than adults. After all, they have relatively little in the way of received wisdom to cloud their thoughts.

kitkatqueen Tue 07-Jul-09 22:45:53

QS I think i'd be tracking down that midwife at this point..

QuintessentialShadow Wed 08-Jul-09 21:03:28

Kitkatqueen, my mum took my sons to the cemetery to plant annuals on various relatives graves the day before yesterday.

At suppertime he suddenly said. "My great grandma loves me very much. She was so happy when we came with flowers for her".

kitkatqueen Thu 09-Jul-09 21:51:35

QS Sadly he will see less as he gets older, hopefully he will remember some of it. There's nothing sinister in the things he is perceiving, so I wouldn't be worried.

LynetteScavo Thu 09-Jul-09 22:00:13

This is soooo interesting. I've always thought DS! has lived before - he was born "knowing". DD has an innocence about her which make me think she is brand new, or has a very lovely life before. She has always been stupidly terrified af sharks, though, even as a baby, and I have wondered why.

feedthegoat Thu 09-Jul-09 22:02:01

I don't know what I honestly believe but my brother used to talk about the family he 'lived with when I was a man' when he was about 2 or 3.

One particular day we were on a day trip to the coast (nowhere near home) when he pointed to a building in the distance and said 'I used to go in that pub when I was a man'. My dad who really doesn't believe in this sort of thing told him it was just a house. However, when we eventually drove past it was indeed a pub shock. He couldn't possibly have known.

imbored Fri 10-Jul-09 00:05:04

what an interesting thread glad i found it.i totally belive in all that kind of stuff be nice to know where you can learn about it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now