How do I start going to a CofE church?

(35 Posts)
WorkingClassScum Mon 15-Oct-07 20:44:47

I know this seems ridiculous, but having never been to a regular church service, and not having actually been christened I am unsure.

Should I call the vicar first? What happens with ds (3), it says they have Sunday School but what ages do they take? Also ds wasn't christened either will that be a problem? The husband was confirmed into the Episcopal church (he's American) which is Anglican right? So will it be the same as he's used to?

I know what church I'll be going to as it's nearby and I chatted to the vicar briefly a couple of times when I used to do volunteer work and he's lovely... and a bit eccentric! I just feel so stupid because I'm clueless. But I also feel so at peace after a long time in the wilderness.

FlowerTruck Tue 26-Feb-13 18:23:07

What a lovely update smile

1944girl Mon 25-Feb-13 23:57:16

I am so happy for you WorkingClass

I am a catholic and at the moment am being sponsor for a lady my age (late sixties) who is being recieved into the catholic church at Easter.She has never been baptised either but will be at the Easter Vigil.

RedwingOnFire Fri 22-Feb-13 07:16:45

Thanks for your comments smile

FIFIBEBE Thu 21-Feb-13 19:11:29

That's great and so good to hear.

MadHairDay Thu 21-Feb-13 19:04:32

Oh how wonderful Redwing - thankyou for updating, it's so encouraging to read your story smile So glad it's all worked out so well for you.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RedwingOnFire Thu 21-Feb-13 17:03:54

Well I'm reviving this old OLD THREAD because I'm the OP and I was noseying at my old user names and I saw this! I didn't even remember posting it! It's lovely to see!

So, thought I'd give a bit of a faith update since then! ds(1) and I were baptised in the December. It was lovely, and having faith gave me strength to deal with my mum having a stroke that month while we were having Christmas in the US and then my dad's death two years later. I met my now closest friends there. I was confirmed in 2010 which was an absolutely amazing experience. I've helped at a baptism, led and given talks regularly at the afternoon service, led morning prayer, gone regularly into school as a representative of the church to be a Christian resource for RE and finally blessed with our second son in 2011!!

It has been amazing and literally saved me that little middle of the road, small congregation, open armed CofE church. So glad I found what were my first steps here!!

livvylouis Wed 24-Oct-07 19:29:11

Mary will look out for the Bishop if he is ever in my area, thanks for letting me know.

MaryBS Tue 23-Oct-07 20:25:20

That's fantastic, and great that you're being baptised as part of the morning service! I'm SO pleased for you! I was received into the church (I was already baptised) as part of the morning service, and it really felt welcoming. I was singing all day afterwards!

livvy - I see you're in Worcestershire. Not sure if you know, but you're getting a new bishop at the end of the year (from my neck of the woods). Can I just say what a fabulous guy he is (John Inge), and if I could I'd keep him here? If you get to hear him preach/talk he is lovely and has such a good sense of humour!

livvylouis Tue 23-Oct-07 19:50:22

Hi WCS im also new to christianity and recentely started attending my local CofE church. Like you was a little aprehensive at first but found everybody to be so friendly and welcoming. I also hope to be baptised soon along with DD 2 years and DS 3 months I really cant wait sooooooooooo excited! So glad that you are happy and hope all goes well for you.
God bless.
xx

ScaryScienceT Tue 23-Oct-07 19:21:16

God bless you, WCS. I am so happy for you. I can tell how excited you are by the tone of your writing.

Notquitegrownup Tue 23-Oct-07 19:10:19

WCS

I've followed your thread but not posted before. I'm so pleased for you! grin Your happiness shines through your post.

God bless.

WorkingClassScum Tue 23-Oct-07 18:25:09

Spent an hour and a quarter chatting to the vicar! It was really really good! I ended up going into the religions I'd tried before and how after living in the US I was somewhat anti-religion because of how in your face it was. And how I would've liked at least some moral guidance when I was younger, even if I might have subsequently ignored it.

Then we talked about Christianity and the kind of church it is and how he values questioning and other people's point of views. It was just fab!

He left me with this glossy book called "This is our Faith" which is wonderful for a beginner like me. I just had no idea about how much love came into the religion! That probably seems silly, but I just didn't know. It also makes sense as it talks about the Bible as not always being fact but it being how the writers were expressing what they knew with their world view at the time and of course how things can change in translation.

We decided that I would get baptised at the same time as ds as I would like it done as soon as possible for him so I might as well do it and I could learn more afterwards. So it will be towards the end of the November, maybe early December, just need to finalise dates depending upon what services are happening. I decided to have it happen in the morning service because we want to be part of the community and that would be a lovely way to do it. I am so excited I have to say! It just feels so right.

MaryBS Mon 22-Oct-07 17:12:59

How did it go??? So glad yesterday was good!

DutchOma Sun 21-Oct-07 14:59:46

Oh good for you, glad you enjoyed it. Let us know how you are getting on with baptisms etc

WorkingClassScum Sun 21-Oct-07 13:54:43

Well we went and it was fab! Lots of laughter in between and the vicar is very friendly... with a fabulous singing voice! In fact he's popping round at 2 tomorrow to discuss the possibility of baptism for ds and myself!

ds went to Sunday school with the other three children, although apparently there's sometimes more, which he loved and the kids come in afterwards to show what they've been doing and get blessings.

We'll definitely be attending regularly, it was so relaxed and warm and friendly.

MaryBS Tue 16-Oct-07 07:28:40

Morning prayer is worship consisting of psalms, readings and prayers, in a set format. Below is a link showing a typical such service:

Morning prayer

Communion during the week tends to be much quieter and without hymns and sermon. Does it just say "communion" or does it mention BCP (Book of Common Prayer)?

There are 2 main styles of worship in the C of E, "Book of Common Prayer" or BCP and "Common Worship" or CW. If its Common Worship, the wording is modern, and tends to use a modern translation of the bible, if its BCP its traditional and old fashioned (although some people love it for that reason - not me though!). The BCP dates from 1662.

Below is an example of BCP morning prayer:

daily.commonworship.com/daily.cgi?today_mp=1&book=bcp

Hope this helps.

Bouncingturtleskulls Tue 16-Oct-07 07:14:59

Yep just turn up! Also if they offer an Alpha course and you want to learn a bit more about the Christian faith, that is a good place to start. Plus it is an excellent way to get to know regular church goers and newbies like yourself. Look at website here.
I did the Alpha course a couple of years ago, and it was very enjoyable - I went as a lapsed catholic, DH as a disinteredted Anglican, and we are now active members of our local church (who offer a creche at the first service in the morning, plus lots of clubs for different age groups).

WorkingClassScum Tue 16-Oct-07 06:55:30

I planned on going to the family service on Sunday, that's the one where they have Sunday school too.

The church also has communion on a Wednesday morning and morning prayer on Mon, Tues and Thurs. What do these mean as opposed to a Sunday service?

Thanks for all your help

MaryBS Mon 15-Oct-07 22:32:36

I would just turn up. Will your DH be with you? So you can ask him questions?

If you're unfamiliar with church, then I'd sit near the back, so you can watch when to stand up/sit down. Saves you having to worry about what to do and when!

If the church does a family service, often that's a bit more informal and relaxed, you might like to go along then, for your "first time". That's what I did with our church. In fact for the first few months, thats what I did, went once a month to the family service! blush

Let us know how you get on, we're a nosey bunch like that! wink

TheOldestCat Mon 15-Oct-07 21:20:35

Tell your DH: "peace be with you!" from me then. grin

WorkingClassscum - hope your first church visit is lovely and you contine to feel at peace.

StIncognita Mon 15-Oct-07 21:15:44

My Dh said 'Oh, that's very kind, thankyou' [rolling eyes emoticon]

TheOldestCat Mon 15-Oct-07 21:09:03

Dontlookatme - glad it wasn't just me then! grin

Oldestcat.I just read your 'peace be with you' bit to dh and he confessed he did the same rofl.

Yes, just go. Thats what we did.

If it's anything like ours, people will be very welcoming (especially if you have a small child). Ds is only 2 and doesn't go to Sunday school and there is no creche so we just sit at the back and he plays with his cars and/or trots round chatting up the old ladies

No-one minds. We are trying to organise his Christening at the moment, we can arrange to have it in the normal sunday service or in a seperate service, the vicar has told us if we don't do in in the normal service we will probably be lynched by the congregation

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now