New beginnings: a Christian prayer thread for summer

(960 Posts)
Tuo Sat 13-Jul-13 23:22:55

I have called this thread 'new beginnings', as it felt appropriate to lots of us at the moment, in a whole series of ways.

Since I started our last thread, back in April, we have welcomed Abigail Faith, daughter of HadALittleFaithBaby, and Hannah Faith, daughter of RoomForALittleOne. We thank God for their safe arrival and pray that He will watch over them and surround them with His love as they grow.

We pray for Kaykat and for CharlotteCollinsismovingon as they deal with the breakdown of their marriages. We pray not only for Kay, but also for her friend who has been providing her with excellent support and legal advice, for a clear way forward and a swift resolution. We pray for a clear and positive way forward also for Charlotte, and for her children to cope with this change in their lives with understanding and resilience.

We pray for PositiveAttitude as she settles back into life in the UK, and prepares for a period away from her DH and DD4. We pray, in particular, for her DD1, that she find a job in which she will feel supported and which will help her to feel happier and better able to cope with life. We also pray for happiness for PA's DD3, who has just got married, and for her DS in his new job. Finally we pray for the work of her DH in Cambodia, praying that the separation is bearable and that he continues to be able to make a real difference to people's lives over there.

We pray for BlueTinkerbell as she moves to a new home, looks for work, and continues to explore her vocation. May this move be a really positive new beginning for Blue and her family.

Likewise, we pray for niminypiminy who will begin ordination training in September.

And we pray for my church and diocese in the aftermath of some major structural changes. This is a new beginning that was imposed rather than chosen, but may it bring positive developments nonetheless.

We pray also for:

... amberlight, for her work raising awareness of autism in churches, and for this work to be welcomed and valued, rather than greeted with incomprehension, far less hostility;

... BlackEyedSusan, for all the many things which she has to juggle in her life as a single parent; in particular, we pray for her mum's health, for peaceful and restorative holidays, for order in her flat and with her paperwork, and for her DC; we pray especially that they both receive the support that they need from their school;

... BoxOfDelights, for her to receive a clear diagnosis and suitable treatment for her eye problem very soon;

... Don'tsteponthemomeraths, that her DS is able to access the support he needs and is valued and nurtured at school; for better support also for her DD; for better relationships at work; and for her nephew, who has suffered a burst appendix;

... DutchOma and Bob, for health for Bob and for good support (moral and practical) for Oma as she cares for him day by day; and for the ability to rest and breathe easily in this heat;

...JakeBullet as she deals with her uncle's ill-health and decision to move back to his native Switzerland. May he be well cared-for and peaceful there, and may Jake not miss him too much;

... MadHairDay, for health as she lives with chronic illness, and for strength as she mourns the death of a friend; we remember also MHD's friend and all who knew and loved her at this time;

We also pray for friends who haven't been around for a while... for Badvoc, for Gingercurl and her thesis, for Jan and her DD, for MaryBS, and for all those who lurk, for occasional visitors, and for those known to us who are in need of prayer, whether mentioned here or not.

Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayers.

Phew, prayers were answered!! even though no-one was around There is a loophole which we can use to get him into the college fully funded. smile

ZingWantsCake Tue 27-Aug-13 18:22:47

glad it got sorted PA!
fantastic news!smile

Does it count that I prayed, PA before finding that the prayer had been answered on the next page?

I prayed PA.smile

thank you all. smile
In a way today has shown me how absolutely determined and passionate DS is about becoming a chef. He will need that to keep him going, so all good now. He was so crushed when it seemed his dream had been snatched from right under his nose. Now he is like a cheshire cat again! grin

Saw the community paed again yesterday. Mixed meeting. She confirmed he's definitely on the spectrum but wants to see how the first term in reception goes and we'll meet again. Not sure why? She said the diagnosis is a big thing, so she'd just like to wait and then speak to his new teachers.

In the meantime he'll have bloods taken to check his thyroid and for fragile x etc.

I am anxious on how he'll cope full time in school but I bumped into his new teacher straight after my meeting with the paed! I bumped into her in Tesco. I told her what the paed had said and she said not to worry smile

Kay how are you? Can't believe the lengths your H will go to try and damage the house, so you get less equity.

Such great news PA x

BlackeyedSusan Thu 29-Aug-13 11:17:44

I am home for a quick break from mum. she did not sleep and it did not end well. sad she can not see past her own problems hen she is ill like that. I went to get her some medicine and hve left he to rest at home without ds, or me, inflaming the situation. I have come home so that it does not make me ill again. I m going back to tidy up and do a day trip out. dd has an appointment on monday so we have to be back here then.

amberlight Thu 29-Aug-13 15:52:22

Keeping prayer going

DO is an amazingly talented lady. Just had to share! I'll try and pop a pic on my profile for today so that you can all see and agree grin

BlackeyedSusan Fri 30-Aug-13 10:43:28

presuming the cardi is a gift from do? anyway, you are not wrong.

Dutchoma Fri 30-Aug-13 11:23:58

Thank you Room.

I had the cataract operation yesterday and to be totally honest are struggling with it a bit. I cannot see any more out of the operated on eye than I could before and with glasses on (Normal lens in the right eye, blank lens in the other one) I have double vision and feel totally spaced out. So I have blanked out the left eye with a piece of paper, so I don't have to have it closed. The hospital say it will likely get better when the pupil gets back to normal in a day or two, but nothing will feel normal for six weeks when I can see the optician for a new lens. Bob is in care until 11th September.

darlingdaffodils Fri 30-Aug-13 11:30:08

Not sure if this is a thread that anyone can join but if it is and you have a spare minute please pray - I am feeling lost and confused and lonely.

amberlight Fri 30-Aug-13 11:33:01

Oh yes, thread here for everyone needing prayer support for their lives...and praying for you right now, darlingdaffodils. And for everyone else.

Dutchoma Fri 30-Aug-13 12:25:16

Oh yes, darlingdaffodils all in need very welcome. Lost and found might well be a subtitle to this thread. Care to share? You are very welcome, but you don't need to. We'll pray anyway.

BlackeyedSusan Fri 30-Aug-13 14:25:54

welcome daffodils.

<waves to amber>

once more unto the breech my friends... off to see mum again, who had no idea we are coming, despite having been told. I hve sorted out the worry she had about my cousin dumping her with the paperwork again. apparently he is nearly finished sorting out some stuff for dad, and he was bringing paperwork for her to sign for something else. she heard he has finished with her and is bringing all the paperwork back for her to deal with. she is apprrently quite negrtive with him as well. it helps me to know that maybe it is not personal. I hve to develop aa thicker skin and take it less personally.

hope to get the paddling pool out so better go. the children are currently playing splatalot with the therapy ball. it is ds's laatest obsession. we also get total wipeout ith ds climbing around the living room on the funiture, which is ok here as it is all quite sustantial. it does not go down well with my mother though! blush (fair enough)

darlingdaffodils Fri 30-Aug-13 14:31:16

I'm just struggling a bit faith wise - haven't found a church to join yet (have tried a few) and am the only believer in my family and have no local believing friends. Just feels a bit lonely really.

Dutchoma Fri 30-Aug-13 16:14:57

Yes, a good church can be like a family. Like a family it can also drive you quite bananas. Keep trying. You will probably never find the perfect church. What are you looking for?

Praying for a good and quick recovery, DO. I guess the plus side of Bob being in care is that you'll get plenty of sleep for a couple of weeks. Or at least I hope you do...

BES, does your mum live very close to you? I can't remember if you are trekking ridiculous distances to look after her. Praying for a 'ray of sunshine' to break through in her mood. Your acts of service have not gone unnoticed and will be rewarded eventually.

Darlingdaf hello and welcome! Definitely praying for you to find some Christian friends and a church community. Are you a new Christian or have you been isolated like this for sometime? Prayers for your family to come to know Jesus through you (how amazing would that be?!).

Dutchoma Sat 31-Aug-13 10:10:51

Yes, I am sleeping reasanably well. And enjoying the radio. And Mastermind, which didn't need watching.

Please will people pray for energy for me? Hannah has started getting up more at night and DH starts a month full-time in his placement churches today. I'm not sure how I'll cope without him around and I need loads more (uninterrupted) sleep.

Praying for DO for recovery and peace. And for Bob, that he is settled and well cared for.

Room prayers for you while you are without DH for a while.

Please pray for DH. He has contacted me to say that his bike was stolen yesterday afternoon. Cycling is his life! He goes out for a few hours every day to cycle and he will feel as if his right arm has been chopped off if he can't do that. The bike was bought when we arrived in Cambodia from money given to him as a gift when he left work. He so loves his cycling I cant imagine how he will be and we just have not got the money to afford a new bike. Please pray that we can get something from the insurance for this and he will be able to afford to get some sort of bike (not an expensive one) with any insurance payment.
I have just waved D1 off to uni. sad Although I am also immensely proud of how far she has come and nervous of how she will cope. Oh my goodness a rollercoaster of emotions!!

CharlotteCollinsismovingon Sun 01-Sep-13 16:34:59

Praying...

That house I nearly didn't get a viewing for, a few weeks ago - I'm now reading through the contract. grin Pushing onwards - it's a struggle at times (H keeps telling me I'm doing the wrong thing and feels justified in making things difficult for me), but good to have my own space to look forward to. About a month till I move in.

Dutchoma Sun 01-Sep-13 17:13:27

Charlotte he would. And you are grin Doing the wrong thing for him haha. Doing the right thing for you and the children. Keep right on going.

TheChocolateTeapot Sun 01-Sep-13 22:23:56

tunnocksteacake you and your DH are in my heart and my prayers tonight.xxx

Dutchoma Mon 02-Sep-13 06:32:40

Darlingdaffodils I have just come across your other thread and realise that you were thinking about joining a group of Jehovah's witnesses. There's been some good advice on there, the best being that you must make up your own mind about it.
I have not much experience of Jehovah's witnesses; although we live on the doorstep of one of their Kingdom Halls I have asked to be excused visits and they mainly stick to that.
The main reason I would stay out of it is that they don't believe in personal salvation. Jesus is NOT the Saviour that we all need to lead a fulfilling life in this world and the next.
So if you are really searching for a deeper meaning to life I would keep looking at the various Christian churches. You say you have some contact with a Methodist church, I would be surprised if there was not someone in there who could help you with finding out more about what a Christian should try to find in her life.
Meanwhile try and find a Bible reading guide. We use Lucas on Life, but there are loads of others. Google is your friend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now