God gave my friend's DH a heart attack

(94 Posts)
TotallyBS Sat 02-Feb-13 21:01:46

My friend's DP works in the. City. Up to 2 years ago he would regularly work to midnight. Come the weekend. he would be so tired that he often slept the weekend away.

Then he had a. heart attack .(he is early 40s). It was a wake-up call for him.He cut back on the hours. His children now get to see him in the evenings. Instead of saving his (generous) bonus and salary he now spends it. They recently moved to a new house and bought a new car.

I was invited over to see the new house last week. Over coffee she was telling me how great life was now. She and the kids get to see him more. He is less preoccupied with work and money. She attributes all this to God giving DH a heart attack so that he would stop and revaluate his life.

Not being a believer I obviously thought WTF at the idea of. a caring God intervening in such a violent manner. Are there any Christians out there who supports my friend's perspective or do you share my WTF?

Frankly I find it hard to understand how my friend can believe that God let millions die because He gave us free will but will intervene in her marriage.

CloudsAndTrees Mon 04-Feb-13 10:54:11

Headinhands, I'm not accusing anyone of doing anything wrong, I just think it's nicer when people let other get on with believing what they want to without judging them on it.

headinhands Mon 04-Feb-13 10:58:30

and they have things to learn that just aren't possible in one lifetime..

What about babies that die, either in utero or just after birth? What could they have possibly learnt that was of any benefit?
How come I have no memory of my past lives?
Couldn't god have come up with a more efficient plan?
So did we all start off at the same time?
Do some have a shorter journey than others?
What's at the end?
How do you know this beyond what you feel?

headinhands Mon 04-Feb-13 11:03:20

Headinhands, I'm not accusing anyone of doing anything wrong, I just think it's nicer when people let other get on with believing what they want to without judging them on it.

I don't think there is anything nice about the idea that beliefs should be beyond reproach. I think that's a very scary ideology. Again if people want to protect their beliefs they probably shouldn't be discussing it. And there's many that don't. But for those adults that do air their beliefs on a message board I will question them and make absolutely no apology for that.

CloudsAndTrees Mon 04-Feb-13 11:15:36

It's fine for you to question, no ones asking you to apologise for it. Questioning is different to criticising (not suggesting you are criticising, just talking generally) and questioning is not the same as trying to convince people they are misguided.

I don't feel the need to protect my beliefs by hiding them, they are not that fragile that a few questions on a screen are going to change them.

Why isn't it a nice idea that beliefs are not beyond reproach? I think that's a lovely idea actually? Why do you feel the need to express disapproval in what someone else believes when it doesn't affect anyone else? Obviously there are times when beliefs do have a big affect on other people, wars are usually based on religion, which is why I don't subscribe to them. But sometimes it makes no difference at all.

headinhands Mon 04-Feb-13 11:23:19

Why do you feel the need to express disapproval in what someone else believes when it doesn't affect anyone else?

If they're posting on a discussion about beliefs clearly they acknowledge there will be discussion about beliefs. If you look at the threads on this board you will see there are many threads that are not discussion threads like this and where people don't question the beliefs. But threads such as these are all about open and forthright questioning.

In RL I don't query people about their beliefs unless its very obviously a discussion like this, but that's a rarity.

headinhands Mon 04-Feb-13 11:24:48

I'm definitely winning the use the word discussion the most times in a post competion no?

headinhands Mon 04-Feb-13 11:25:20

Competition!

CloudsAndTrees Mon 04-Feb-13 11:28:40

grin

technodad Mon 04-Feb-13 12:37:21

Clouds.

In your message posted at 10:52 you discuss how your beliefs are your own and not part of an established religion. This means that you have done some guess work and come up with your own unprovable theory on how the universe works.

There are thousands of scientists across the world who work tirelessly to identify evidence to prove theories, much of which contradict your personal belief. Do you genuinely expect others to value or respect your personal belief when it is basically uneducated guess work without justification or evidence.

Why do we have to respect this sort of belief. Why is it not acceptable to ridicule this practice?

If someone came and told me that the sky was purple then they would clearly be very stupid, why is your made up twaddle not equally stupid? Why does calling I a religion give you immunity from reality?

Harsh, but fair!

TotallyBS Mon 04-Feb-13 13:02:12

The Old Testament is full of stories of God punishing His children. I'm thinking of pestilence, swarms of locust and the mother all floods.

I accept that some Christians don't take the OT literally so my quesntion is directed at those who do believe that it is an accurate account of events.

If God gave us free will then why does he punish us when we use our free will to do something he does not condone? It's like saying that you aren't going to interfere in the lives of the grown up children and then striking them down when they do something contrary to your beliefs.

TotallyBS Mon 04-Feb-13 13:05:22

.... also if we are all His children then why in the OT does God favour the Israelites. I mean, dropping all that water on Pharaoh's soldiers is not the act of a God that doesn't have favorites.

abbeynationall Mon 04-Feb-13 14:12:12

Totally, Sorry to hear about your loss. I am a budding christian, and I answer what I know and convinced of, but I'm also quite forthcoming in expressing that there's quite alot that I do not know about my God e.g why the Isralites prayed for over 400 years before he could intervene . I am burrying my head deeper into the Bible for insight regarding things like these.

With little children and the infirm, I don't think God will judge them when time comes for obvious reasons but they definately are not exempt from suffering just like everyone else.

Now I know for a fact that we are not all his children. Please accept that. You are only God's child when you believe in Jesus as his son and a redeemer. You are just his creation - I apologize if that statement distresses you it is'nt meant to

Regarding Israel, It is God's chosen nation and at one point , he was the equivalent of a president to Israel and the Isralites- his people.
Logically speaking, why do you have a problem with God rescuing the Isralites(his people) from pharaoh who's enslaved them for over 400 years? Are you really favouring the pharaoh over the slaves? aren't your sympathies abit misplaced?

God doesn't show favouritsm - that's why we get rain, light, believers and non believers alike. Also suffering

TotallyBS Mon 04-Feb-13 14:18:18

Sorry to hear about my lost??? What lost? You are confusing me with some other poster.

I'm not god's creation, pretty sure my Mum & Dad made me.

TotallyBS Mon 04-Feb-13 14:27:44

Egyptians v Israelites, Christian crusaders v Muslims, Man U v Chelsea. I'm not favouring either. I am simply posing a question.

If we are all God's children then there is clearly favoritism involved.

abbeynationall Mon 04-Feb-13 14:28:24

If God gave us free will then why does he punish us when we use our free will to do something he does not condone?

That would be because he gave us the ability to discern what is right from what is wrong. Rewards for making right decisions and punishment for choosing wrong ones, just like snakes and ladders - action, consequence.

And just to clarify, I do not believe Islam, paganism, satanism and other eastern religions are a myth. far from it. I know that there are lots of other gods but I only believe in the God of Abraham of the Bible.

taketheribbon Mon 04-Feb-13 14:30:56

OP, I can't go along with what your friend believes I'm afraid. A God that can give her husband a heart attack to make their marriage better would surely then intervene to stop little April Jones from being abducted, and he would never have allowed what happened to Jamie Bulger. Surely. It just doesn't make sense.

abbeynationall Mon 04-Feb-13 14:31:08

WE ARE ALL NOT GOD'S CHILDREN - sorry to shout I've said this afew times already. You only become his child when you believe in him. Why would an atheist call themselve God's child? are you not undermining your belief?

TotallyBS Mon 04-Feb-13 14:35:36

Well, if God was a parent then he ain't gonna win no Parent of the Year award.

Ok son, you can marry whoever you want. You are a grown man. You are free to make your own mistakes and to learn from them. What? You married that bitch? Boom! grin

TotallyBS Mon 04-Feb-13 14:39:28

I 'created' my son (with God's help if that is what you want to hear). Even if he grows up to hate me, didn't listen to what I say, became a thief, murderer or drug addict he would still be my child.

I find it hard to believe I am a more forgiving parent than God.

abbeynationall Mon 04-Feb-13 14:50:16

Totally ,I get in that particular mindset sometimes, but I have always been left speechless when I read the story of Job. Have you heard of it? I am not trying to convert you honest
see if it'll shed light am doing a rubbish job I know

TotallyBS Mon 04-Feb-13 15:49:18

The OT says that the world is a few thousand years old. Are you really suggesting that i dive into that book for my answer?

abbey Could you clarify? You seem to be saying that you believe that other gods are genuine and real? How do you reconcile that with the idea that God created the earth and everything in it?

Or do you just mean that other people believe in gods which do not in fact exist?

TotallyBS Mon 04-Feb-13 16:34:13

Anyway, I'm interested in your thoughts and your interpretation of the Bible.

TotallyBS Mon 04-Feb-13 16:35:59

.. telling me to read the OT and to figure it out for myself isn't much of answer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now