Druids/Pagans over here please

(7 Posts)

Buzzard would work well in the setting too, NC78

Unfortunately haven't managed much working on this today, and no chance until at least Saturday now. I shall have to attempt 'little and often' I think! smile

NC78 Tue 05-Feb-13 18:16:17

Ooh thankyou - yes Weasel or Frog/Toad would work well - possibly even newt.

Scope for artistic license to and extent but I'd like to be true to an inland UK (England) setting.

smile

MostlyLovingLurchers Thu 31-Jan-13 15:10:31

If you want an association with water (but not coastal) then maybe water vole, water shrew, frog, toad or newt? Mink or coypu may be an option though not true natives. Non aquatic visitors to water could be fox, mole, polecat (depending where in the country your setting is), rat or weasel. Guess it depends if the essense of the animal is more important than the physical characteristics (thinking of the seal's ability to be at home in the water and dry land, bridging the gap between the two elements). Do you have any scope for artistic license?

Thanks Mostly - the Seal doesn't work because of the physical location/setting of the book, which is inland UK.

I am still dubious about the Salmon too as that would necessitate a rewrite of the setting quite a bit too!

MostlyLovingLurchers Thu 31-Jan-13 12:08:29

You could use a heron instead of a crane. Not sure why the others wouldn't fit in a uk setting?

This may seem a rather odd request but I'm (very slowly) drafting a novel. I aim to base each chapter on one of the thirteen moons in the druid calendar.

I would also like to bring in totem/associated animals, but, some of those I have found described don't really fit into my UK setting.

So, would you have any suggestions for animals/birds to replace these:
Crane
Seal
Otter
Cat
Salmon

I might just be able to keep the last two or three in, depending on how the structure pans out, but I'd like to keep my options open.

TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now