Angels to believe or not to believe.

(85 Posts)
chubbymomie2012 Wed 16-Jan-13 22:53:04

Today I saw an interview with Lorna Byrne. She believes she can speak to the Angels. i wondered did anyone else see it or have any of you read the book she has written about her life. i am not sure what to think and im very interested in whatbyou guys think please.

IndigoBarbie Thu 07-Mar-13 21:13:31

And who would be the judge of that then? given that I cannot say you are right for your beliefs, as much as you cannot say I am wrong for mine.

At 4 I don't think I had any concept of what angels were, never mind that they were somehow 'real'.

I perceive angels to be real for me. That's it. I don't attempt to convince anyone, but I don't make stuff up either. If it's about sharing my experience, then yes, I do this. My experience cannot be measured or argued or quantified, nor do I require it to be. It just is what it is for me. I feel this is neither right or wrong.

Cooroo Thu 07-Mar-13 19:48:59

Some truths may be relative, though that probably has more to do with the way a proposition is worded. But surely there either is or is not some supernatural being outside of our normal experience? Creator or observer, loving father or impersonal. People may or may not believe, and may believe very sincerely, but they are either right or wrong.

IndigoBarbie Thu 07-Mar-13 14:34:24

What makes god some people's truth? How can god be true, or real? We each are subjective reality processors as a result of our learned experiences and our own perceptions and summations. It's all relative, truth is a relative concept.

Cooroo Thu 07-Mar-13 13:58:18

I must lead a very sheltered life. I had no idea anyone actually believed in angels after the age of 4. Until I saw a section on them on a bookshop this week (next to 'Mythology', which made me wonder why they didn't just lump them together).

How can truth be 'your truth' when it is something as specific as angels existing? People have always believed in the supernatural, it seems to be a built-in thing. Doesn't make it true though.

Pan Thu 28-Feb-13 08:27:13

That's a tad harsh, Ellie.grin

EllieArroway Thu 28-Feb-13 04:38:27

Not harsh Pan - try silly and irrelevant. Anyone can discuss religion & spirituality, it's not the private fiefdom of believers hmm

Pan Wed 27-Feb-13 23:14:56

I thought this was the Philosophy/Religion/Spirituality topic. Not the 'I am sooo bored and impressionable' topic. There must be one for them peoples, shorely??

<a tad harsh, but, still>

seeker Wed 27-Feb-13 23:12:14

Near where I live there are a lot of naturalised parakeets. If you don't know that, you would think you had got a very special message when a green feather drifted down onto your picnic rug, as it did to me recently!

expatinscotland Wed 27-Feb-13 23:07:20

LOL @ seeker.

I agree.

IndigoBarbie Wed 27-Feb-13 23:01:50

That's my point. I have found black feathers. It's not nonsense to me. Anything in the physical world can and is used as a mechanism to send a 'sign' or a message. Not everyone can hear in their mind the thoughts or messages from passed loved ones, therefore - they are creative in their choices, sometimes.

seeker Wed 27-Feb-13 22:56:06

But I wouldn't consistently find black feathers, would I? Because pillows, coats, duvets and cushions are not stuffed with black feathers. Because the under feathers of pigeons are not black.

IndigoBarbie Wed 27-Feb-13 22:53:29

Seeker, using my own personal experiences as a reference point the 'white feather thing' is not nonsense. However, I can understand where you are coming from. I even make jokes about the white feather thing, and I explain it in a way that might help others understand what might be going on.

If you are no longer part of the physical world (or in the case of angels you didn't have a body anyway), then you don't really have a mobile anymore to text your loved ones, therefore you have to be so much more creative to get the message through. I know how crazy it actually sounds, but I only speak the truth of my own experiences, and I never encourage people to believe me - I always advise people to go with what resonates with them, no matter what someone elses says.

What if you were to consistently find black feathers? Would that mean that my pillow was full of black feathers? Each of us has our own perceptions of what is going on, I do believe though that any form of 'attachment' to receiving the signs from the other side is where it perhaps borders on dependency, and can be looked upon in a different manner.

seeker Wed 27-Feb-13 22:43:27

I don't like people being encouraged to believe nonsense. The white feather thing is particular nonsense-the are always white feathers everywhere

IndigoBarbie Wed 27-Feb-13 21:09:07

seeker, what exactly is it that attracts you to these threads?

seeker Sun 24-Feb-13 08:04:34

"My mum also finds white feathers in her house"

She needs new pillows.

I have no idea if angels exist or not. I do talk to my dead gran quite a lot and like seeker I smile whenever I see her favourite bird - a song thrush. We have one that comes in the garden sometimes and it does make me feel better.

She also seems quite helpful when I ask her to help me find my keys grin

Titchyboomboom Sun 24-Feb-13 07:49:30

I believe in angels and often ask to see mine and am always greeted by a white feather. My mum also finds white feathers in her house

PigletJohn Mon 04-Feb-13 15:39:59

if they're imaginary, then there is surely no problem at all. People just imagine whatever they like, with some influence from imaginary sightings they've heard from other people.

I find the modern belief in angels as cute friendly beings with feathery wings to be quite odd.

People have communicated with angels throughout history - google John Dee and Edward Kelley for some fascinating stuff. But prior to the cute Bottticelli beings, angels were considered pretty scary messengers of the Gods and elaborate ceremonies had to be carried out in order to communicate with them. Angels spoke a language called "Enochian" which Kelley used to tell Dee that God wanted them to share their wives - nuff said!

I'd find it surprising that angels suddenly got to the 21st century and decided to start speaking through cards and new-age tat instead?

Anyway, I do believe in angelic forces, i.e. some sort of force that aids communication between us and the Divine, but not as cute feathery personal guardians?

headinhands Italy Mon 04-Feb-13 10:38:46

Well, there are lost of accounts from people that believe their lives have been saved by angels, so perhaps there are times that angels step in.

So if personal testimony is as much proof as you need you also need to believe in werewolves, vampires, fairies, the loch ness monster, Yahweh, Allah and alien abductions etc.

CloudsAndTrees Sun 03-Feb-13 20:36:03

I believe in Angels, but I'm sceptical about the cards. I think they can be used by angels to convey a message if your angel wants to, but I don't believe that every time someone picks up a deck of angel cards that they are automatically going to have angels communicating with them.

Why don't angels step in when somebody is in real danger or distress?

Well, there are lost of accounts from people that believe their lives have been saved by angels, so perhaps there are times that angels step in.

I came close to being in serious danger once, well, I was in serious danger but it could have been a lot worse. Something told me what I had to do to save my life, and I think now it may have been an angel, because I'm not sure how I would have known, or how I would have known how to do it so easily otherwise. I didn't think of angels at the time though, I hadn't really considered angels at all at that point in my life.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Mon 21-Jan-13 19:54:04

It's 1 in 44 chance that person one picks a specific card, but in the case of two people simply picking the same card (not a pre-determined card), the probability on person one is 1 in 1 because it doesn't matter which card is picked. The second person then has a 1 in 44 chance of picking that same card, so the odds are (1/1)x(1/44) which is 1/44.

seeker Mon 21-Jan-13 19:11:04

And what the first person picks out has no effect at all on what the second person picks out. So it's 1:44 for person one, and 1:44 for person two.

Not understanding this is behind a lot of paranormal belief. Coincidences are really really common!

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Mon 21-Jan-13 18:56:16

"but statistically the odds of one person picking a particular card from a pack of 44 is 1 in 44. The odds of two people picking the same card is surely 1/44 x 1/44, so actually 1 in 1936."

No, because the card that the first person picks could be any card in the pack. The statistics only apply to the odds of the second person picking that same card out, hence one in 44. Basic statistics.

expatinscotland Mon 21-Jan-13 12:34:39

Good questions, seeker. Someone will be along to tell you they can't interfere with the will of God and yadda yadda yadda.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now