Non hijabi Muslims...why don't you wear it?

(86 Posts)
WaynettaSlobsLover Sat 05-Jan-13 21:11:26

You may have read my previous thread. I'm interested to hear why you don't wear the headscarf personally, and also what others reactions to you not wearing it have been. Would really appreciate some feedback on this inshallah and to hear your personal opinions and views on it all

CoteDAzur Wed 09-Jan-13 13:32:53

No, it's not "just a derogatory term" hmm It is a word, with a meaning, and this is it.

That is what the word actually means. If some people don't know what "fundamentalist" means, than it is their problem that they are all offended when they see it applied to them.

"usually used in conjunction with the word terrorist"

Not really. I see it used for governments who do indeed want to impose a literal understanding of the Quran.

There are also fundamentalist Christians who actually believe the world was created in 6 days and that homosexuals should be killed, but they are far fewer in number than the Muslim fundamentalists.

So no, you are wrong. Fundamentalist doesn't mean terrorist and you are very unreasonable if you think I was calling anyone a terrorist. I said some are fundamentalist because they take the Quran very literally, and they are. That is what the word means.

crescentmoon Wed 09-Jan-13 13:46:33

the liberal muslim believes very little of the Quran applies to daily life, the extremist muslim believes 6th century Arabia should be brought to life, and all the rest of us are in between these two. but i think, iv never heard, any muslim say that the Quran is an approximation of what people thought they understood about God at the time. show proof of that and 90% of Muslims would probably stop practising including myself probably! what we debate with each other is about context not content.

CoteDAzur Wed 09-Jan-13 13:52:27

"any muslim say that the Quran is an approximation of what people thought they understood about God at the time"

I agree. None would say this.

However, many do say "Quran was sent to desert tribes 1400 years ago, so I can use my head and decide which parts are not relevant to me as I live in my urban city in the year 2013".

Jefferson Wed 09-Jan-13 14:06:09

Apologies Cote. I most certainly did not try to suggest you were calling anyone a terrorist. Im not sure why you thought i was. I was talking generally about the way some people use the word fundamentalist. I understand what the word means

Anyway I agree with crescent moon that most of us are in between the two extremes of believing everything and nothing applies from the Quran

Jefferson Wed 09-Jan-13 14:06:32

Everything or nothing

Mrsaurtherpendragon Sat 19-Jan-13 21:02:20

I wore it when I was 16, stopped at 18 it was something my father said- god doesn't judge you on your appearance, it's what is in your heart that counts. These words have stuck with me ever since! X

WaynettaSlobsLover Sat 19-Jan-13 21:07:58

It's true to an extent, although dressing modestly is still a mandatory obligation in islam. I think people focus so much on what one looks like than what one actually does! I know I pray and practise islam more than people in my extended group of family and friends..but because they cover their hair, apparently this makes them better than me confused

beeny Sat 19-Jan-13 21:19:58

Cote my sis is a professor of Islamic law in a scottish uni and has views like yours.

WaynettaSlobsLover Sat 19-Jan-13 22:20:13

Beeny is your sis Muslim? What does she think about hijab?

beeny Sun 20-Jan-13 07:37:05

My sis doesnt wear a hijab and doesn't think its mandatory

CoteDAzur Tue 05-Feb-13 16:16:16

beeny - It would be interesting to have your sister on these threads.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now